Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that you've done that could have killed you, making you die to death

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's a bit like that Blue Peter footage from the 70's of John Noakes climbing up Nelson's Column on wooden ladders lashed together with baler twine and wearing a pair of slip-ons and an old army jacket.

:mad:

I saw this video and thought, "thats pretty dangerous".

There's always a chance to die (sounds like a Bond movie), but sometimes people do stuff that increase that chance a lot.

I have no examples from my own life that I can think of right now but I know there is a certain feeling in the body when you are at risk, the "shit if I **** up here I'm gonna die myself to death here" feeling. Its similar to the "near death" experience but not necessarily the same.

Over to you.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I was hurtling down the Bolivian Death Road on a mountain bike near La Paz, and rounded a hairpin to be confronted with a lorry coming the other way and a very high precipice with about 1.5 metres leeway in between. I was buzzing my tits off but the friend I was with semi bollocked me for my recklessness, and you do see crosses on the side of the road where people have come a cropper

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I guess the most dangerous thing I've ever done, and certainly the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever had, is go down the Olympic bobsleigh run in Turin in a 4 man bob.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
-The time I jumped off a 12m bridge and nearly landed on a large boat that was passing underneath.
- Numerous motorbike near misses in Vietnam. In one notable incident, I found myself wrapped in electricity cables while my bike flew off down the road. The two bags of beers I was transporting did not survive.
-The running street battle with the Hanoi mafia which escalated rather quickly from a few choice words to sticks, bricks and knives.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I saw this video and thought, "thats pretty dangerous".

There's always a chance to die (sounds like a Bond movie), but sometimes people do stuff that increase that chance a lot.

I have no examples from my own life that I can think of right now but I know there is a certain feeling in the body when you are at risk, the "shit if I **** up here I'm gonna die myself to death here" feeling. Its similar to the "near death" experience but not necessarily the same.

Over to you.

Most recently Canyoning in Bovec, Slovenia with 9 of my mates in September 2019. Basically climbing to the top of a gorge and then jumping into rock pools, turning rocks into water slides, and abseiling to get down. My mates had been before in Switzerland, I never had, so they had picked an "intermediate" course that also involved being lowered down a 50 metre high waterfall. I nearly shit myself.

That afternoon we took giant scooters down another mountain after two pints of craft beer.

One of the most annoying things about 2020 was our planned trip for this year getting binned off, though there was a day when i thought the virus was going to finish me off less glamorously.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
- Numerous motorbike near misses in Vietnam. In one notable incident, I found myself wrapped in electricity cables while my bike flew off down the road. The two bags of beers I was transporting did not survive.

A few very close near misses in cabs in Taipei and crossing the road in India. Then I watched an episode of Bourdian in Vietnam and it looked about ten times as dangerous :eek:

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
This is me...

BOMBHOLE.jpg

...and this...

RBOB.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I ate a meat pie, away at Oldham, right back in the day.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I got front wheel wobble two up on my Lambretta doing 73 at the bend at the bottom of Snakey. Frightened me s**tless and never did something that stupid again. Things you do when you’re young?!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Driving a car through a forest fire in California. Flames either side of the road and next to no visibility. Could feel the heat through the windows and it damaged the paintwork. Not my brightest moment

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had Pulmonary Embolisms after a flight back from Philli a few years ago and nearly died until my daughter who was studying to be a nurse at the time recognised my symptoms and FORCED a doctor in hospital to arrange a CT scan as he was sending me home thinking it was my BP pills causing it. I would have died if that would have happened, and I owe her my life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Driving from Faversham to Liverpool and other places up north so fast that not one vehicle overtook me. Slaloming in and out of the traffic and passing cars on the inside lane. One written off car, and one unbelievable near miss still didn't clip my wings. Nine points on my licence and taking a long hard look at myself prompted me to ditch the GTi, get myself a nice family estate, and learn how to always stick to the speed limit. Which I do. Faversham is 20 mph everywhere in town now. I stick to it. I have yet to be beeped or flashed at but I can 'hear' the occasional taxi driver chunter.

I have delved into other high risk taking often in my life, sometimes because needs must, but mostly on impulse. I no longer have the knees for it, physically and metaphorically. Thankfully.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
My experiences are far more mundane and inevitably involve Mrs Corner - eg the time she was specifically instructed to pass on that the double garage door on a house we’d recently moved into had come off it’s runners and must not be opened from the inside. Needless to say she neglected to pass this on and when opening it the door fell on my head knocking me onto the concrete floor. Although it was only hospital and concussion I STILL get that ‘shivers’ feeling when thinking of it now!
Her own speciality is electrics. After being thrown across the room by an electric shock she explained she had put her finger in the contacts of the light bulb socket “to see if it was working”!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Came to think of two occasions now...

Once in Fuerteventura I ignored the "no bathing" flag and went about 30 metres out in the ocean. The currents took me and it took about an hour of hard fighting to get back to the beach. Before that I had zero respect for water, bathing in metre high waves and stuff, since then I'm very careful. I was all alone and it was real panicky.

Another time I was at a party in a ghetto in Malmö. We were going into the city but my friend had to take a leak in the bushes when we were going to the bus. We kept going as we were in a hurry, assuming he would run to catch up with us. He took his time though and we started yelling for him to hurry. We called him by his last name, "Nygren", and while looking for him I ran into gang of black guys who did not think I was yelling "Nygren" but something else.

They pushed me against a wall, very angry, saying "what the **** are you saying to me?". One of the dudes pulled a gun, never pointing it at me but it sure made me very scared. I found it in me to pretend to be calm and explained the situation but they didnt really believe me. Then Nygren turned up, told them I was telling the truth and they called us idiots and let us go. Its a pretty funny story now but certainly wasnt a fun situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here