Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And resides in a tax haven to ensure he pays very little tax from his vast earnings in this country.

I think he’s an amazing F1 driver, and probably should be close to being universally regarded as the best ever, but as a role model to Britain, nah, not all the while he turns his back on this country.

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks.

Read the whole thread, where the facts are given by a poster (not me), or jump into the racist trope shit bin :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m a bit conflicted on this one.

Really dislike the whole honours system thing. So many people who have been gifted these honours that are no more than time serving lickspittles, and then there’s the odd one,who I think, yeah, they deserve an honour to show the country’s affection/ admiration/ pride in their achievements.

I have always had a lot more respect for the likes of Bowie, Paul Weller, and Stephen Hawkins, who all refused honours than the nominees in politics, the armed forces, and the civil service, who get an honour for achieving a rank or just time served.

Getting back to Lewis Hamilton , of course he deserves a knighthood, but, like all sportsmen , after he retires.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I pay no attention to this sport - but I know he's won a lot of things. If he would accept a knighthood it seems reasonable. Though I do prefer the idea of knighting people after their career has more or less finished, not during it.

Like Andy Murray, you mean?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And resides in a tax haven to ensure he pays very little tax from his vast earnings in this country.

I think he’s an amazing F1 driver, and probably should be close to being universally regarded as the best ever, but as a role model to Britain, nah, not all the while he turns his back on this country.

Yet he is in the top 5000 of uk tax payers!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Which one is true? Either he is a top tax payer or doesn’t pay tax at all?

He pays tax in the UK (as others have also said, he's in the top 5000 of UK tax payers) however he as he lives in Monaco he doesn't pay as much as he would do if he lived in the UK.

That said, how many on here bemoaning the fact he lives in Monaco wouldn't, given the same opportunities, wouldn't do the same?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Putting aside my personal thoughts on the whole honours system, if it is consistent with what has gone before then - yes - Lewis should get the knighthood.

At a time when it is embarrassing to be British he is still there, doing his thing and reinforcing the idea that we can still produce excellence.

Is it ? How does one become embarrassed to be British. I'm now embarrassed that I am not embarrassed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
More deserving than Ian Duncan Smith for a knighthood, but that sets the bar very low.

Yes, upon that my vote is changed. Knight him.

But get rid of this honours system. It is so outdated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, upon that my vote is changed. Knight him.

But get rid of this honours system. It is so outdated.

I'd like to extend the Tony Benn argument, as used by him to defend Christmas.

Everyone likes it and joins people together in celebration of love and unity. What harm is there?

aka Meaningless bollocks that puts a smile on faces.

I am happy with it.

Ironic that Benn was in favour of Christmas but not honours.

Oh well. Never mind.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Regarding his tax, it's a bit in the middle isn't it ?

He pays a lot of tax to the UK, employees a number of people (who pay tax) and also pays a lot of tax abroad.

He has however been accused of utilising some questionable mechanisms in the past to lower his tax bills.

He's sold that awful plane now and appears to have cleaned up his image. I voted yes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Black man in the top 5k of tax payers in the country = tax exile

Social media platform paying £28 million tax on £1.6 billion of gross sales = let me just post this selfie, repost this fake news, tell someone from school that I didn’t like much what I had for breakfast and spend a bit of time doing some online stalking.

:facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
When you look down the list of sporting knights and dames you really cannot argue that he deserves one.

Whatever anyone thinks of Hamilton or the honours system he has achieved more than half the people on that list

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
For driving the best car around in a circle. Nah.

There might be an argument that racing cars and bikes isn't sport, I’d disagree but its an argument that will roll.

To frame Hamiltons achievements though, F1 is though the pinnacle of car racing in the world. He came into F1 and won the championship in his second year. His team mate in the first year was Alonso, a multiple champion. Hamilton was so fast he ruffled feathers and Alonso left after that first year. Looking back at the greats, Senna took 5 years to win his first title, Prost 6 years and Schumacher got the closest with 3 years.

His climb to the top, where differences in cars are less and where they often run the same chassis and or engine, was meteoric. He won F3 at his second attempt, and F2 at his first. Senna was even better, winning FF1600, FF2000 (the two champs then below F3) and then F3 all at his first attempt before ignoring F2 level and going straight to F1, perhaps a reason it took him longer to land his first title.

But its really difficult to compare different generations, as with other sports and other things in life, and i think unnecessary. But in terms of being one of the greats in the field he competes, however thats defined, its indisputable.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Is racing harder than darts..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Thats cobblers. He's contributed towards it being the best car - its a TEAM effort. Hamilton's technical input into that team is vital to getting the best car on the track - he doesn't just rock up on race weekend, do 80 laps, and then cop off for a couple of weeks. His team mate is in exactly the same car, and can't get near him. And thats been the case for years. So what does that tell you ?

Yeah its a great acheivement compared within the "sport"

It's still more about the car though, no one wins the tour de France cos they have a better bike or wins at rowing cos they have a better boat

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes he should be.

However, people are allowed to not like him without being accused of racism. I've warmed to him recently as he's grown up but earlier in his career he came across as a spoilt brat. Look at all the sh1t Beckham had thrown at him over the years, was there implied racism there?

Brits find it hard to relate to a show off, it's as simple as that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here