Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What have the Romans ever done for us?

“Lewis Hamilton: Foundation and Charity
Lewis Hamilton has pledged his support to UNICEF, Education Africa, Save the Children, and a few others. He is also a vegan by choice and doesn’t shy away from proclaiming the need for veganism to save animals and our planet Earth from global warming. He was named by PETA, the 2018 Personality of the Year for his efforts to save animals.
In January 2020, Hamilton pledged $500,000 as an aid for animals affected by bushfires in Australia
He also has a charity of his own.”

https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/lewis-hamilton-foundation

https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/lewis-hamilton

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...atter-protest-human-rights-issue-not-politics

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...y-charity-latest-news-instagram-a9277711.html

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/hamilton-animals/amp/

(This isn't a dig at you, [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION], I hope you will realise).

I hadn't realised he supports the antivivisectionist terrorists. Burn him!

Oh, hang on. He's being knighted for being Britian's greatest ever sportsman. As you were, then.

But it's nice to see his every fart being dissected to check that it's OK to give a black man a knighthood. Best to be thorough when we are dealing with this sort.

:facepalm:.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Good God yes he should be knighted he is a superlative sporting superstar and he's British after all just look at the list of some who were knighted and definitely did not deserve it

Denis Thatcher ( not only did he get it but it's hereditary so now Mark has got it!)
Cyril Smith
NIck Clegg
Jimmy Savile
Rolf Harris
Robert Mugarbi

In fact looking at that list Nigel Fararge is a saintly individual who should bypass knighthood and go straight to Lord ( only joking )

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
As stated, I might be wrong, and my opinion still stands. If he has donated $500,000 to charity, good for him, but that's like me donating £1000 in relative earning terms. Not knocking him, but really a knighthood? Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given this seems to be the usual honour given out to successful sportsmen, absolutely.

BUT

We should wait until his career is over before doing it. I have a real (and almost certainly irrational) issue with active sportsmen being given knighthoods, feels wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
(This isn't a dig at you, [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION], I hope you will realise).

I hadn't realised he supports the antivivisectionist terrorists. Burn him!

Oh, hang on. He's being knighted for being Britian's greatest ever sportsman. As you were, then.

But it's nice to see his every fart being dissected to check that it's OK to give a black man a knighthood. Best to be thorough when we are dealing with this sort.

:facepalm:.

We’re getting somewhere in this thread now, I get the distinct impression that the 2020 version on BLM gets up noses for some. A black person’s support for it is only valid if they’ve been on the BLM “bandwagon” all their adult life.

To analogise, the only valid opponents of antisemitism in Nazi Germany were those who spoke out by 1933.

In reality, it’s clear that most victims of racism only now feel emboldened to speak up. Hamilton has faced racism in F1 since at least 2007, fact. Incidents documented contemporaneously.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If you were minted, would you choose to remain living in the UK ? Maybe he likes living in a warm, sunny climate, in a millionaires playground like Monaco. Plus one weekend year, he's able to work from home.

You may well be right.

But there is still nothing stopping him from computing his UK tax liability and making a voluntary contribution to the Exchequer.

The "usual suspects" were very quick to play the racism card here. If you don't agree that Hamilton shoud be knighted then you must be a racist. Yeah...of course.

I think the whole honours system is outdated and corrupt. But if we have to have it, then a pre-requisite for an honour must be that you aren't a tax exile. Support your country then your country will support you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We’re getting somewhere in this thread now, I get the distinct impression that the 2020 version on BLM gets up noses for some. A black person’s support for it is only valid if they’ve been on the BLM “bandwagon” all their adult life.

To analogise, the only valid opponents of antisemitism in Nazi Germany were those who spoke out by 1933.

In reality, it’s clear that most victims of racism only now feel emboldened to speak up. Hamilton has faced racism in F1 since at least 2007, fact. Incidents documented contemporaneously.

Indeed. I have been reading this thread and shaking my head sadly. The very same types who have had enough of the 'taking the knee' (on other threads) are at the same time criticising Hamilton for not having been in the audience when Martin Luther King had a dream.

But Hamilton does bring it on himself, though. Doesn't he?

No.

This takes me back to the days when po-faced types would comment that 'of course, being a black man and going into that pub in that area was bringing it on himself'....only a step away from 'fancy going out in a short skirt like that - she was asking for it!'.

Behold, we are now entering the era of passive racism.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He lives overseas for most of the year.

Should every ex-pat pay full UK taxes for life, or every Brit who spends the majority of the year in an overseas home? Many of whom spend much of the year back in the UK. No tax system is based on that.

The US tax system is exactly this, with limited exemptions for foreign-earned income and credits for double taxation. To avoid it requires relinquishing citizenship / Green Card.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
As stated, I might be wrong, and my opinion still stands. If he has donated $500,000 to charity, good for him, but that's like me donating £1000 in relative earning terms. Not knocking him, but really a knighthood? Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate this argument. Yes he earns lots so a $500k donation is relatively low.... BUT he at least has donated, and as he is young and still earning will probably donate again and again.

When he retires he will have time and money to do further good - he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that will just wallow in his wealth.

He will donate more than I ever will be able to and probably most people on here.

but that still wont be enough for some people.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
What also annoys me is the repeated mantra that he is a spoilt, cocky nob.

Christ If I was a 20 something racing driver galavanting around the world and being treated like a god with a huge team of people working for me I would be insufferable.

I mean that I was when I was a manager at Sainsburys I thought I was the bees knees!

He has subsequently matured, calmed down and now has various social messages and agendas.

I think he a fantastic human being.

Also does everyone on this post who commented that he just drives a fast car or then best car actually watch the sport?

Sundays race was brilliant. The conditions were atrocious, everybody span at some point. He started 6th and only needed to beat Bottas to get the title. A sensible driver would have hung back stayed safe, did the laps and tried to finish. Hamilton instead won the race (while his team mate spun 6 times in the same car and finished near the bottom) and also ignored team orders through experience to see out the race on knackered tires.
If this isn't the actions of a sensational driver then I dont know what is.

OR its not a skill to drive around in circles in the best car.

OR its not a skill to drive around in circles in the best car while avoiding tax and being black

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I don't seem to recall comments like that when the old fellah got knighted for walking up and down his garden for the NHS.

Would similar derision have been on the menu had James Hunt survived long enough for a gong?

What about Sir Henry Cooper?

Or Sir Sterling Moss?

A whiff of racism at work here I suspect. Who would ever have guessed?

Because someone disagrees about giving him a knighthood, doesn't make them racist as long as the reasons for saying no apply equally for a Caucasian in the same position.There are plenty of reasons to play the racist card, however just because someone disagrees about this isn't one of them. Had he been white,not living in tax exile, I would have still voted no. Knighthoods should be reserved for AFTER a person has finished their sporting life, if that's what it is being given for.That was always the way historically, Correct me if Im wrong but Sir Henry, Sir Sterling received their knighthoods when they had retired.

The "old fellah walking his garden" and Lewis Hamilton are two very different cases, its not comparing like for like

Stumpy Tim

He is one of the top 5000 tax payers in the country and he does not earn all his money out of England. But let’s beat him with that stick, probably pays more in a year than most people earn in their lifetime.

Never heard a word said about Jenson Button or David Coulthard living in Monaco, funny that. So many Brits absolutely detest winners, not a nice trait.

I don’t like to suggest racism but....

I voted No as I always thought he didn´t pay UK tax. If you´re right, I reverse my vote. In my opinion, anyone who doesn´t pay UK tax shouldn´t be knighted.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
What also annoys me is the repeated mantra that he is a spoilt, cocky nob.

Christ If I was a 20 something racing driver galavanting around the world and being treated like a god with a huge team of people working for me I would be insufferable.

I mean that I was when I was a manager at Sainsburys I thought I was the bees knees!

He has subsequently matured, calmed down and now has various social messages and agendas.

I think he a fantastic human being.

Also does everyone on this post who commented that he just drives a fast car or then best car actually watch the sport?

Sundays race was brilliant. The conditions were atrocious, everybody span at some point. He started 6th and only needed to beat Bottas to get the title. A sensible driver would have hung back stayed safe, did the laps and tried to finish. Hamilton instead won the race (while his team mate spun 6 times in the same car and finished near the bottom) and also ignored team orders through experience to see out the race on knackered tires.
If this isn't the actions of a sensational driver then I dont know what is.

OR its not a skill to drive around in circles in the best car.

OR its not a skill to drive around in circles in the best car while avoiding tax and being black

How many of those repeating the spoilt, cocky nob mantra actually know the man or can supply any specific evidence?

The only evidence I have is his interviews pre and post race which usually come across as very considered and thoughtful in my opinion. Still remember his interview post Monaco a few years ago when he lost the race due to a mistake by his team. Rather than sulking he accepted the result with good grace and said he’d be back again next year!

Can’t help a strong suspicion that this is the Brits usual envy for those deemed to be too rich, successful, etc.?

When you compare his (literally) incredible achievements with the near adulation for some TV reality stars it does make me wonder what anyone has to do to win some people’s respect?

Ok, not a very good comparison but hope you get my point....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because someone disagrees about giving him a knighthood, doesn't make them racist as long as the reasons for saying no apply equally for a Caucasian in the same position.There are plenty of reasons to play the racist card, however just because someone disagrees about this isn't one of them. Had he been white,not living in tax exile, I would have still voted no. Knighthoods should be reserved for AFTER a person has finished their sporting life, if that's what it is being given for.That was always the way historically, Correct me if Im wrong but Sir Henry, Sir Sterling received their knighthoods when they had retired.

The "old fellah walking his garden" and Lewis Hamilton are two very different cases, its not comparing like for like

There are quite a few sportsmen and women who received their knighthoods and damehoods whilst still taking part.

A big problem with the honours system was the 66 World Cup winning team didn't get anything for years. It was thought they were too working class.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What a cocky, arrogant, spoilt nob!

Although when he's in the midst of battle, with the adrenaline flowing, driving round at 200mph he can sound a bit whiny on his comms with the pit wall. Good enough reason to knock him. None of us ever get het up watching the Albion play and say or do silly things...

Knighthoods are given out like confetti to sportsmen and entertainers. His achievements are greater than most so yes, he deserves one as much as any of the others do. That said, wait until his career is over before giving it to him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

This

Most of us have at some point tasted some success and the feelings and confidence that goes with it. Winning the biggest prize in world sport in your 20's is huge.

I got a record deal in my band in my mid 20's, Touring, got on MTV etc I must have been insufferable briefly I couldn't have thought much more highly of myself if I'd tried ( turned out to be a crock of shit, and very short lived but thats life! :lolol: )

One mark of a man is to come through that relatively unscathed and still be reasoned/sane

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here