Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Yes ,but she better make sure she doesn't touch his hair .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bit of a dick - but in terms of achievements, you simply can't deny his brilliance.

Absolutely deserves to be knighted IMO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Be interesting to see the betting between Hamilton and Rashford for SPOTY - do you go for the one who has achieved a truly outstanding, unprecedented sporting feat in his field ? Or do you instead doff your cap towards someone who has won f-all, but transcends their sport to use their profile to achieve something so fundamental for the greater good ?

*strokes chins*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolute no brainer, of course he should :thumbsup:

Why do I feel many of you will say no? He has achieved much more than so many sportsmen who have already been knighted. How many of them can even be considered the best the world has ever seen?

Would a mod be kind enough to change Knoghted to knighted on the poll question, please

Yes. GOAT in his sport and whatever he's done nobbishly in the past he's fast :)lol:) becoming a decent role model.

Iv corected ure speling

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Given a choice I think I’d rather have him beside me charging into battle than Sir Cliff Richard :lolol:

I'd have both of them.

They can both move it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Be interesting to see the betting between Hamilton and Rashford for SPOTY - do you go for the one who has achieved a truly outstanding, unprecedented sporting feat in his field ? Or do you instead doff your cap towards someone who has won f-all, but transcends their sport to use their profile to achieve something so fundamental for the greater good ?

*strokes chins*

Lewis for me, Marcus has time in his side :thumbsup:

Jun 20, 2020
In every era, revered Brits (many knighted) live in the low/no tax territories of Florida or The Bahamas, Monaco or Switzerland. To name just a few: Connery, Roger Moore, Jackie Stewart, Coulthard, Button, Phil Collins, Faldo, Poulter, Mansell.

But I’ve only ever seen Hamilton criticised for this on NSC, it crops up every time.

What sets him apart from the others?

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?290708-I-ve-had-enough-of-Gary-Barlow/page3

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...not-pay-a-penny-more-tax-than-I-have-to/page2

A lot of the examples you have given predate NSC. Here are two examples I remember being discussed on here when they were in the news.

There might be an element of conscious or conscious racism where Hamilton is concerned, but I feel all tax dodgers are viewed the same by the majority on here.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As a sportsman , yes because he is a great achiever. However as he lives in Monoco to get out of paying tax in the UK , then he should not be knighted because it sends the wrong signal .

Not just Hamilton but anyone who lives in a tax free zone like Monoco should not expect to be knighted . MBE or OBE for achievement fine .

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I remember that years ago there used to be a TV programme where various sportsmen would compete against each other by undertaking certain sporting activities. It seemed that Formula One drivers seemed to have the greatest overall levels of fitness. I always wondered why this was. In answer to the OP’s question, I’d say no. Think of poor old Becks.

You must have missed the episode featuring James Hunt. Jodie Sheckter was the only one I recall who excelled.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?290708-I-ve-had-enough-of-Gary-Barlow/page3

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...not-pay-a-penny-more-tax-than-I-have-to/page2

A lot of the examples you have given predate NSC. Here are two examples I remember being discussed on here when they were in the news.

There might be an element of conscious or conscious racism where Hamilton is concerned, but I feel all tax dodgers are viewed the same by the majority on here.

As an F1 fan, Hamilton gets a NSC shoeing very year or two, from the usual haters. The fact that he lives overseas in a tax haven always dragged up, whilst the likes of much loved Button never got a mention.

I put it down to a combination of that weird British version of schadenfreude in hating the successful, especially the confidently successful, plus a bias in this case by some towards white Anglo Saxons over an honest black guy who irritates because he has an opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a sportsman , yes because he is a great achiever. However as he lives in Monoco to get out of paying tax in the UK , then he should not be knighted because it sends the wrong signal .

Not just Hamilton but anyone who lives in a tax free zone like Monoco should not expect to be knighted . MBE or OBE for achievement fine .

If you were minted, would you choose to remain living in the UK ? Maybe he likes living in a warm, sunny climate, in a millionaires playground like Monaco. Plus one weekend year, he's able to work from home.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Not until he’s retired. Once he leaves the sport 100%

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On his F1 achievements alone he should have been knighted by now. Makes Stirling Moss’s record, in terms of championship wins at least, look pathetic. Looks like he now has to tick some extra boxes to get his gong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lewis for me, Marcus has time in his side :thumbsup:

True, true. But then Marcus is never going to be the GOAT in his field, whereas Hamilton already is.

On the other hand I feel myself leaning towards MR, because what he achieved during these dark times outside of his sport is more to do with his personality. And it IS an award for being a sports personality of the year.

Marcus for me. Lewis can have it next year, when he surpasses Schumachers number of world titles.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not yet, as I don't believe any sportsman shoul be knighted for sporting achievements while they are still active in the sport, and should only be considered when they have retired.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Articulate black man, from a working class background, who has made the absolute most of his talent (spotted by Ron Dennis at 10) and succeeded in a billionaire's white man's sport (3% of Mercedes F1 operation are BAME).

He also tops every metric of comparative success (poles, wins, points etc.) in the pinnacle formula of motor racing.

**** yes, he deserves the highest form of recognition - even though the honours system is anachronistic,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here