Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour has suspended former leader Jeremy Corbyn

borat

Jul 16, 2003
It's incredible that a life long campaigner for the marginalised and underepresented is being smeared as an anti-semite.

The right of the party actively sat on cases to make Corbyn look bad.

Anyone with a semblance of critical thinking or good faith can see this is a smear for political ends.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've transcribed the exact quote:

'The numbers have been exaggerated in my view. The public perception last year in opinion polls was that somehow or other one third of the Labour Party members under suspicion of anti-Semitism the reality was it was 0.3% of party members that had a case against them that had to be put through the process. So I think it's it's clear that I do not accept, Keir Starmer does not accept, anti-Semitism in any form whatsoever in our party'

My problem throughout this process is how words that condemn the actions of the Israeli government have often be labelled anti-Semite. I also know Jewish folk who feel the same way.

Let no-one be in doubt, a lot of this is political, and it's noticeable, even in NSC, that people on the right have used it as such. The very same people some of whom who often show racist undercurrents in their own rhetoric but choose their words carefully.

Corbyn spent much of his life as a prominent anti-racist campaigner, yet it is those who he often rallied against who have been leading the charge here most.

If it is felt that Corbyn did not act quick enough then fair enough. He should not, however, apologise for what he said in the interview.

I think it is pretty straightforward. Condemning the actions of the Israeli state is not anti Semitic. Propagating conspiracy theories about Jewish control of the media, banking etc is anti Semitic. Last time this was in the media I posted a number of examples of the latter coming from Labour Party members only to be told that this was all a right wing plot to protect the Israeli state. I can see this debate will go the same way.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's incredible that a life long campaigner for the marginalised and underepresented is being smeared as an anti-semite.

Anyone with a semblance of critical thinking or good faith can see this is a smear for political ends.

Johnson has Cummings pulling his strings, Starmer has Blair pulling his!

Just when I thought the Empire was being run by the Evil Palpatine it seems the real one has surfaced

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Starmer can now clear out the left left and become the new Blair.

I am not sure that is what this is about. Keir is good friends with Jeremy. His Deputy leader Angela Raynor is also very close to Jeremy.

She said today that in her opinion this topic is Jeremy's blind spot. I think his remarks and pres statement he as made today that he does not agree with The Equality and Human Rights Commission report, show this.

Keir wants the MP's such as Lucinda to return to the party, he cannot achieve this while Corbyn and McClusky make remarks that show they do not agree with the findings.

I also would like to see the Tory's do a similar thing as agreed to on Live TV debate with the now Prime Minister and Savid Jarvid.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Someone with power doesnt like him. Calling someone anti-semite is one of the easiest way to get rid of people. Its a classic strategy.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I am not sure that is what this is about. Keir is good friends with Jeremy. His Deputy leader Angela Raynor is also very close to Jeremy.

She said today that in her opinion this topic is Jeremy's blind spot. I think his remarks and press statement he as made today that he does not agree with The Equality and Human Rights Commission report, show this.

Keir wants the MP's such as Lucinda to return to the party, he cannot achieve this while Corbyn and McCluskey make remarks that show they do not agree with the findings.

I also would like to see the Tory's do a similar thing as agreed to on Live TV debate with the now Prime Minister and Savid Jarvid.

When you say 'blind spot', do you mean Corbyn & McCluskey CAN'T or WON'T see the issue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

He's not been suspended for what the report says. He's been suspended for what he said about the report - that's scarcely a smear.

All he had to do was accept its findings and move on. I have some sympathy for Corbyn and the way that he's been demonised but not in this case, he's brought this on himself.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

No anyone with critical thinking will read the available information especially what is in the independent report today, and the comments from Angela Raynor for example.

The report does not blame Corbyn but the party machine. You do not have to go much further than Luciana Berger first hand accounts to see it is generated from within the party and tolerated from within by some small parts of it.

The Tory party is just the same but will not face it, it could blow up on them in the same way, I am sure they will also claim its a media inspired campaign.

No one is questioning Jeremys work for the marginalised, but enough has been shown to see he had a chance to change (and did not) and needs to read the information himself use his own critical thinking and help bring about the required changes to bring marginalised peoples back to the party.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am sure Starmer will lay the boot in, but he is still working for the same party the Jew-haters. The stain will stick, and he will need triple strength Vanish to remove it IMO.

"Jew-haters"?

There's literally a Labour Friends of Israel group quoted on this thread.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Partly, but hardly the full picture. A succession of weak leaders since Clegg. and the biggest problem by far is their position on Europe. I'm not going to get drawn into the remain v leave argument, but as a mainstream political party you need to understand that people are both somewhere on a scale of left-centre-right and then they are also within one of two 50/50 camps on Europe.

Domestically with a good leader, they are very well placed to appeal to a broad section of the population with something more akin to fiscal conservatism plus progressive policy making- on europe they have instantly cut in half their potential voter base.

they are now fishing in a pool of only 50% of the electorate because of their EU position. If they want to be a party of power, they must have a more middle way to appeal to those with genuine EU reservation.

It wasn't necessarily the desire to overturn the result of the referendum that was wrong (though one can argue that the result should have been respected anyway), as it was a reasonable election pitch to argue that we were better off in the EU, and that a second referendum should be held. Public opinion was also turning against Brexit. Sure, there would probably have been a major party squeeze on the Liberal Democrats in the run up to the election whatever happened, but I think it was Jo Swinson's peremptory decision to announce that they would revoke Article 50 without another referendum that did for them. Their poll ratings bombed from that day until the election. I remember a woman on Question Time, who said she was a LD supporter, but was horrified with that decision. Particularly as some political commentators were saying that we came very close to having another referendum, as some anti-Brexit Tories were coming round to the idea, having previously voted against it. However they, along with Labour and the SNP, blew it by voting to allow Boris Johnson to hold a General Election.

And continuing to elect unelectable Leaders.

To be fair, Ed Davey was one of their few MPs left after the December 2019 election and the most senior. It was hard to see who else they could have chosen. Many good MPs, who would have possibly been good leadership candidates, such as Greg Mulholland, a keen supporter of small business and Steve Webb, a pensions expert, lost their seats in the 2015 election. I actually don't think Tim Farron was anything like as bad a leader as he was made out to be. The LDs missed out in 2017 in quite a few seats by a small margin, and he was, if not as much as Jeremy Corbyn, slated by the right-wing press, who misrepresented his views. I suspect they feared he was a threat to the Conservative Party - the LDs were doing pretty well in council by-elections between 2015 and 2017. He came to the church I work at and was quizzed on the Gay Marriage issue, and his answers seemed entirely consistent to me.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Someone with power doesnt like him. Calling someone anti-semite is one of the easiest way to get rid of people. Its a classic strategy.
But no one is calling anyone anything. JC has been suspended because he doesn't agree with the findings of the enquiry. Starmer has already stated that anyone who believes the accusations have been exaggerated is indeed part of the problem.

D

Deleted member 2719

"Jew-haters"?

All I am saying is the Sh!t will stick.

Fortunately, the Northern lads and lasses understood what Corbyn was like and put Boris ahead of him at the election.

But who were those that didn't work out what he was all about and happy to put an X by his name?

John McDonnell next.

Lab vote.PNG

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My problem throughout this process is how words that condemn the actions of the Israeli government have often be labelled anti-Semite. I also know Jewish folk who feel the same way.

The very same people some of whom who often show racist undercurrents in their own rhetoric but choose their words carefully.

There's a link between two of your paragraphs.

From what I've read, part of the problem is an undercurrent of linking Jewish labour MPs to the actions of the Israeli government. Most racists are clever enough to not be openly racist as you've said.

I can't believe there are still people on here denying there was a problem! The fact that Corbyn refused to condemn antisemitism over and over again was a dog whistle to the hard left antisemites, whether he meant it to be or not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saying what you want instead of saying what people want to hear... definitely a reason to suspend someone in the world of politics...

Mate, you've got this one completely wrong. The equivalent of "we were nowhere near as antisemitic as the Nazis" was the wrong thing to say today.

Corbyn had chance after chance after chance to sort this out. He failed every time.

expelliarmus.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Starmer's Labour very much haven't denied it, it was the old crew.

Which is exactly the reason Corbyn was suspended today.

Some folk, however, seem to have a real difficulty keeping up with change. Thatcher OUT! Wilson OUT!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Jew-haters"?

Is mouldy brains being a tit again? Can't be bothered to check :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here