Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to a Brighton foodbank instead - Monday PPV vs. West Brom.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
PPV is a choice. I choose not to see us away from home most of the time because of the time and expense. I don't really see choosing not to go PPV on Monday is any different from when I chose not to go to Bournemouth last season, other than it's a home game that I would normally be at, but the point stands.

I think the foodbank donation gesture is a brilliant idea as 1. it helps the foodbanks and 2. sends a message that we're not happy about yet again being exploited.

It's feeling like dark times out there at present, any light at the end of the tunnel seems a distance away again, and while football discusses billions in European Super Leagues, little old fans as well as paying subscriptions to Sky and BT to see their teams now need to cough up £15 for a separate game on TV. F*&K OFF I say, but that is my personal choice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Potter, Ashworth and Barber all took pay cuts. The players and directors donated to a charity fund. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/club/club/albion-as-one

Thanks for the Pott, Ash, Barb clarification.

As for the players, I’m aware they donated to charity, but this isn’t my point. My point is about taking a cut/deferment to help the club and also their longer term future. Tony and Barber explained the finances and asked, but they have (I presume) refused. I find it uncomfortable that players are still in work and paid very handsomely, but once again it’s the supporters who are asked to dig into their pockets.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

As for the players, I’m aware they donated to charity, but this isn’t my point. My point is about taking a cut/deferment to help the club and also their longer term future. Tony and Barber explained the finances and asked, but they have (I presume) refused. I find it uncomfortable that players are still in work and paid very handsomely, but once again it’s the supporters who are asked to dig into their pockets.

I have no issue with the players stance whatsoever. Professional sport is brutal. I for one wouldn't take a pay cut to help an employer only for said employer to appoint someone to take my role on more money than me. Who would?

Footballers while having some individual power in negotiation of their individual contracts when in demand, actually have no power whatsoever in the larger governance and legislation of the game. They are still pawns easily sacrificed in a multi-billion pound game of chess.

The Premier League, the FA, UEFA, FIFA could all have passed emergency regulations regarding salary caps, financial rules that could have temporarily helped the game, but of course that wasn't going to happen. So blaming the pawns I'm not sure is misreading the board.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no issue with the players stance whatsoever. Professional sport is brutal. I for one wouldn't take a pay cut to help an employer only for said employer to appoint someone to take my role on more money than me. Who would?

Footballers while having some individual power in negotiation of their individual contracts when in demand, actually have no power whatsoever in the larger governance and legislation of the game. They are still pawns easily sacrificed in a multi-billion pound game of chess.

The Premier League, the FA, UEFA, FIFA could all have passed emergency regulations regarding salary caps, financial rules that could have temporarily helped the game, but of course that wasn't going to happen. So blaming the pawns I'm not sure is misreading the board.

I shall respectfully disagree.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Arguing the toss about how the club spend their money on is a bit churlish IMO.
I'm glad that they chose to buy 2 up and coming Polish lads seems liek a good bit of business.
I'm also glad that they have been trimming the wage bill for players unlikely to play a role in the matchday squad.

If Barber came out and said "The club have decided to put squad development on hold, because our fans are not willing to provide any matchday revenue for us this season" You would rightly be incensed.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have paid for a NOW tv pass on about 90% of times we have been televised and I wasn't attending.
£10 or so to watch a live Albion game is the right price point for me. I have no idea whether any of this revenue filters back to the club, or whether it was just bunce for Sky.
I will be paying for PPV. as it is the only option for me to see our games, where the club get some of my money.
As I understand it they will be getting a much higher percentage of the generated revenue, than they got from any of the additional revenue generated from the extra games dished out to Sky and BT after the restart.

I'm hopeful that the clubs and broadcasters will see the low televised numbers and amend the price, otherwise there is a strong likelihood that they will decide it's losing money and cancel the idea altogether.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is it OK to pay the £15 PPV and watch the game, and then donate £15 to a foodbank to atone for my sins?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Player donations were literally a voluntary thing. No one knows if they each dug deeply or at all.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Player donations were literally a voluntary thing. No one knows if they each dug deeply or at all.

Lets be honest - lets assume between the players and directors, 30 of them works out about £8k each. Not an insignificant amount, of course. But probably only equal to 1-2 days work for a player. And doesn't help club finances of course

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another aspect of this bizarre ongoing demonisation of players is why the hell should they tell the media, us or anyone for that matter what they do with their money.

If some/all of them have taken pay cuts or deferrals, or make lumpy charity donations each month off their own back, they have absolutely no obligation to tell anyone about it, least of all to appease those who will probably just go on to find another angle of attack - "is that all?", "why did it take you so long?", "you're still earning more in a week than I do in a year" etc etc.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another aspect of this bizarre ongoing demonisation of players is why the hell should they tell the media, us or anyone for that matter what they do with their money.

If some/all of them have taken pay cuts or deferrals, or make lumpy charity donations each month off their own back, they have absolutely no obligation to tell anyone about it, least of all to appease those who will probably just go on to find another angle of attack - "is that all?", "why did it take you so long?", "you're still earning more in a week than I do in a year" etc etc.

Most cynical shirley has to be Ozil sponsoring the Arsenal mascot while scores of real people in their backroom staff with real families to feed are being laid off and the club's still pissing millions up the wall on sub-prime players. Vile posturing for social media feeds IMHO

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lets be honest - lets assume between the players and directors, 30 of them works out about £8k each. Not an insignificant amount, of course. But probably only equal to 1-2 days work for a player. And doesn't help club finances of course

I'm thinking along the lines that they're widely varying in their attitude to giving, like us all, some generous, others unaltruistic. I've worked with millionaires who are amazing with charities, others who it's in their DNA to hoard everything for their lifestyle.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
PPV is a choice. I choose not to see us away from home most of the time because of the time and expense. I don't really see choosing not to go PPV on Monday is any different from when I chose not to go to Bournemouth last season, other than it's a home game that I would normally be at, but the point stands.

I think the foodbank donation gesture is a brilliant idea as 1. it helps the foodbanks and 2. sends a message that we're not happy about yet again being exploited.

It's feeling like dark times out there at present, any light at the end of the tunnel seems a distance away again, and while football discusses billions in European Super Leagues, little old fans as well as paying subscriptions to Sky and BT to see their teams now need to cough up £15 for a separate game on TV. F*&K OFF I say, but that is my personal choice.

Why do you think you are being exploited ? You are simply being given the opportunity to watch a game on TV that you otherwise couldn't watch live in person and is not on TV.

Be honest you just want it for free, that's what is upsetting you.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Agree in principle if normal times but we are far from that. So many that support team are struggling with little light ahead. Not helped by Barber saying they were negotiating and later saying this is ongoing. Gone silent now. Players contracts signed knowing TV income and gate receipts. Just think while club is losing £1m per home game it would be good PR and morally right for players to accept a reduction until crowds return

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most cynical shirley has to be Ozil sponsoring the Arsenal mascot while scores of real people in their backroom staff with real families to feed are being laid off and the club's still pissing millions up the wall on sub-prime players. Vile posturing for social media feeds IMHO

Not as vile as the actions of Arsenal’s (billionaire) owners laying off the low paid staff in the first place while spunking tens of millions on new players.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Going back to something someone said earlier. There's too much overthinking going on here.

It's a chance to make a point about the absurd amount of money sloshing about at the top end of football, how that feels/looks at a time when so many are strugglng and the importance of looking out for others in our community when times are hard and getting harder. That's all. And It's good.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Going back to something someone said earlier. There's too much overthinking going on here.

It's a chance to make a point about the absurd amount of money sloshing about at the top end of football, how that feels/looks at a time when so many are strugglng and the importance of looking out for others in our community when times are hard and getting harder. That's all. And It's good.

It was me, thank you for echoing that sentiment highflyer.

Let’s not overthink this. Here is an obvious opportunity to make a worthwhile difference for those who are really genuinely struggling as these tough times grind on. It really isn’t a place for an argument about wealth, wages, clubs, broadcasters, big picture, or anything else.

If you think you can find 5, 10 or 15, then donate and feel good - it will be a lifeline for those less fortunate. Or do as some of my friends have done, buy a few quid’s worth of food and supplies and take it to your local food bank. That’s all it is, nothing more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here