Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Palace (a)

Nicky Rust Fan Club

Sep 26, 2020
Perth, Australia
Hi. Nothing against them today, my way of rating subs if nothing majorly great comes from their short spell on the pitch, is just to give a 4 for example. Only because of (understandably) little time to impact.

I can see your different point of view, you’re saying a 7 relative to time on the pitch. Different methodologies.

Digressing, I once had a NSC argument with someone who reckoned we shouldn’t be allowed to post below 6, that 6 in his opinion represented a respectful baseline for an Albion player at least working hard. What utter tosh ..... why do numbers 0 to 5 exist?

Well 1-5 are for scum who play in blue and red and call selhurst their home. 0 is of course for the aforementioned players whose surname begin with a Z

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree with this. Maupay's decision-making is poor at times; yesterday he even seemed to tackle Solly in the box and neither got a shot away. His Xg for last season was 13.56 - an extra 3-4 goals from him would have seen us comfortable earlier; this season his Xg is about the 4 he has scored; fair enough but shows he is not making THE difference you look for from your main striker.

Maupay's decision making is poor at times, but the worst example on Sunday was his refusal to shoot first time when Lallana threaded him through. I have a different take on the Solly one, and that is that Maupay was in a better position to get an early shot off, but they both failed to communicate properly or seize the initiative, and got in each other's way.
I'm struggling to understand why you think that we'd get a striker that makes THE difference in the PL, especially when we're paying transfer fees below £20m and, as Guendozi has pointed out, on low wages. Aguero, Aubemeyang, Kane, Mane and Salah make THE difference, but we aren't at the level to attract them. Maupay is a good young striker that has a one in three record in the PL having played just over 40 games. That's decent, and about what we should expect. We could always have signed Joelinton, Wesley or Haller.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This. And I can't believe this isn't what everybody is shouting for as it is so clear.

We look completely toothless with just Maupay up front and not much better with Trossard alongside him.

But we look dangerous with Connolly and Maupay together.

And Connolly is a much much better finisher than Maupay, but that's for another thread. I love Maupays effort, but he didn't even go close with his two great chances.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more, Maupay and Connelly is when we look really good with Trossard from a deeper role.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Maupay's decision making is poor at times, but the worst example on Sunday was his refusal to shoot first time when Lallana threaded him through. I have a different take on the Solly one, and that is that Maupay was in a better position to get an early shot off, but they both failed to communicate properly or seize the initiative, and got in each other's way.
I'm struggling to understand why you think that we'd get a striker that makes THE difference in the PL, especially when we're paying transfer fees below £20m and, as Guendozi has pointed out, on low wages. Aguero, Aubemeyang, Kane, Mane and Salah make THE difference, but we aren't at the level to attract them. Maupay is a good young striker that has a one in three record in the PL having played just over 40 games. That's decent, and about what we should expect. We could always have signed Joelinton, Wesley or Haller.

I have never said that we would get a striker that makes THE difference for under £20m and a mere £2m+pa. But there are two points here:

1) There is a tendency for NSC to big up players and Maupay is, IMO, rated rather more highly than his stats deserve; I make the point about THE difference in that light. He is nearly OK, but no better, as his Xg suggests. And he is not young: at 24 he should be at or about his peak powers as a striker. I agree he is about what we should expect but don't we aspire to do rather better than that in our recruitment?

2) Aguero and gang were not always worth £70+m, they were 'discovered', 'nurtured'. flourished', call it what you will, and BECAME worth those sums. Look at the Brentford school of striker development, pretty awesome, Huh? As a lesser PL side, our route to TB's goal of being top 10 has to be a combination of unearthing gems, and managing the existing resources better than most. We are good at the second, less so at the first to date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here