Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] San Diego players walk off pitch following homophobic abuse

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well done to them. Marvellous show of solidarity.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Strikes me as a tad thin skinned. How much sympathy would we have got if the team walked off When Bong was racially abused?
Surely there are complaint procedures?
Not like the old days, is it ?

Sorry but fundamentally disagree with you.

Actions speak far louder than words

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Good on them.

Bunch of weedy little snowflakes, man up and get on with the game. I'd be fuming if we walked off the pitch when leading a game thus forfeiting the result, I suspect many on here would also be but wouldn't admit it so will tow the 'woke' line.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

True, I remember Chris Ramsey making his debut for the Albion at Selhurst in 1981, some of our top boys gave him encouragement by throwing bananas and making monkey noises.

Do it today and you'll get nicked by the humourless Old Bill for being a racist, clearly don't understand a bit of bantz.

Game's gone if you ask me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bunch of weedy little snowflakes, man up and get on with the game. I'd be fuming if we walked off the pitch when leading a game thus forfeiting the result, I suspect many on here would also be but wouldn't admit it so will tow the 'woke' line.

Calling others names when you would get upset by their actions? Surely you'd be man enough to shrug your shoulders?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Strikes me as a tad thin skinned. How much sympathy would we have got if the team walked off When Bong was racially abused?
Surely there are complaint procedures?

Ah yes. the good old days when everyone knew their place. :rolleyes:

Making a complaint didn't do Bong much good, did it?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Would it be OK for the players to walk off if we were losing?*

What would the opposition have to do to justify us walking off in a winning position? What do you consider unforgiveable?

* (still not convinced you're actually part of "we", by the way...)

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing

Did the last 40 years not happen to you? How much do you think a pint of milk costs?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Surely only a homophobe would object to players taking strong action in support of a team mate who was subjected to homophobic abuse?

Totally supportive of the San Diego players actions; if that's what it takes to rid all forms of discrimination from the game more power to them.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Nah, most people are adult human beings with a modicum of compassion and understanding and couldn't care less about being seen as 'woke'.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Some action like this might result in some real change in behaviour. Let's hope the authorities deal with it probably.

If it were down to FIFA they'd be fining San Diego and had the perpetrators a pot of gold.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some action like this might result in some real change in behaviour. Let's hope the authorities deal with it probably.

If it were down to FIFA they'd be fining San Diego and had the perpetrators a pot of gold.

And band English Clubs from Europe for 5 years.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
But staying silent, or putting in a complaint has done precisely zilch for the past 30 years for racist , homophobic behaviour directed by opposing teams- just "manning up" basically just encourages more of the same as there are no real consequences to it. There was a lot of talk last year about England players walking off the pitch if racist abuse from the stands continued after various warnings, and the mood was basically supportive . This particular incident was precipitated by the opposing teams being racist and homophobic.
Would those saying effectively " shut up and grow a pair" do the same if they were the ones being subjected to verbal abuse at work? Do they really think just ignoring it will solve the issues?
Perhaps if all this kneeling before games is to mean something rather than just become a meaningless gesture, then our teams should also start walking off the field when some those very people kneeling are the perpetuaters of racist, or homophobic comments and actions.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

People are getting upset about your post merely because it shows you up as a small minded dinosaur, lacking in human empathy.

Personally though I just can't see past 'tow the line'.
FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here