Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] March - end of the debate

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I like Solly and was really pleased he scored what should have been a point earning goal today.

However, he does frustrate - he gets into great goal scoring positions but his ability to get a shot on target is poor , and so is a lot of his crossing. Like others on here I do think he lacks self confidence. Hopefully this is boosted today and he won't drift in and out of games and the starting 11.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Played really well today.
Like Trossard and Bissouma, just wish shooting was more clinical.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Solly is improving every game at LWB. I think he was at fault for not picking up Matic for the first goal but that's understandable....... no one' s perfect. But certainly he really took advantage of the pace he got. He was strong in covering his area of defence , good going forward and scored a thoroughly deserved goal. As an LWB i don't expect him to be scoring in the top corner every game.

I want competition at LWB and although Bernardo is an LB he's not an LWB so I think we'll still need one but am happy with Solly at LWB and I do think he's got the potential to get better.

That said I still have questions but today they are not worth mentioning. He deserves the limelight for today's performance and as someone else said... it's always pleasing to see a Sussex boy play well :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good performance today and I'm one who thinks he has bags of talent but doesn't use. Today was much better. Seems the attacking flair he had when younger and which may have been coached out of him by one manager is being coached back into him by the current one!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seeing the higlights, he's sort of on target for the one that hits the inside of the post, a different spin and that goes in.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Good performance today and I'm one who thinks he has bags of talent but doesn't use. Today was much better. Seems the attacking flair he had when younger and which may have been coached out of him by one manager is being coached back into him by the current one!

I’ve thought this myself and it was one of the very few criticisms I had of Hughton, I felt he was bad for March and Stephens.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Pretty sure I've seen Aguero, Ronaldo, etc miss those volleys. When they go in they are goal of the month. For a reason!

all the more reason to take the percentage side foot rather than go for a worldie that Messi , Ronaldo or Serge would be stoked with.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The lad had a cracking match yesterday, as they all did. March made their expensive players look poor . Our coaches have transformed his game . Now he looks an excellent footballer. Not always consistent, I'll grant you but he is developing well .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As someone who has been pretty critical of some of his performances over the last year, I think he had a storming game yesterday. He normally frustrates the hell out of me as an attacker, with his decision making and his unwillingness to take people on. Yesterday he looked full of running and played like we all know he can going forward. In fact he looked confident, which doesn’t happen that often. I really hope he has turned a corner now and continues to play like that, he was superb :bowdown:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
In an after match zoom recently with some mates we concurred that post early career injuries Solly is a natural LWB - has attacking instincts and ability but retains the discipline and energy to do the spade work as well. Could be a great season for him.

Also, another friend reported seeing him ordering a pizza after the game yesterday. She said he looked sad

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I’ve been critical over the years but he was brilliant today
He has so much ability that’s what I find frustrating
Well done Solly believe in yourself
It was his persistence puttin Wan Bissaka under pressure and eventually winning the ball that led to our penalty

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He and Trossard were epic yesterday.

I can’t remember cheering a goal like that for a while when Solly scored. And he saved off the line at the end if I remember.

Incredible performance, and I continue to back him in this LWB role. I think it’s perfect for him.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I can’t remember cheering a goal like that for a while when Solly scored. And he saved off the line at the end if I remember.

One that springs to mind is our 95th minute equaliser to go through to the league cup final... Also solly!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
For a few years, me and my albion supporting mate have been saying Solly would make an ideal left back or attacking wing-back and in Potter we have a manager with the vision to see it. I thought yesterday was his best performance for the club by a mile and it's great to see him finally start to fulfull that potential. It's his regular place to lose now.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
But his shooting and crossing are poor

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No I don't think I've ever said that about a right footed player but that doesn't make my point invalid. It's just something I've always noticed in him more than other players. When a pass is on that he could/should use his right foot for he doesn't take it but cuts onto his left or will curl it with the outside of his left.

Well, I do think it makes your point invalid, because there are about six times as many right-footed players as left-footed ones, many of which are far more 'one-footed' than Solly is. You just don't notice them. You're by no means alone in this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here