Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS CV19 tracing app.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not one for nuance are you. :lolol::dunce:

I have downloaded it, not that’s its really any of your business.

Thanks for sharing that secret info.:lol:

You are one of 12.4 million now, I had 15 million tops, getting it.

Which can only help even if it keeps the awareness up alone.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for sharing that secret info.:lol:

You are one of 12.4 million now, I had 15 million tops, getting it.

Which can only help even if it keeps the awareness up alone.

My wife and Dad would also have it if some bright spark had made a potentially life saving app compatible for iPhone 6 and earlier models that millions of people still own and use.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
they tested the program, but not the programme.

That reminds me of the time we bought a group of companies and I somehow inherited software development teams in Serbia and Siberia. Basic incompetence at the heart of it, but not half as obvious as it initially appears :wink:

D

Deleted member 2719

My wife and Dad would also have it if some bright spark had made a potentially s app compatible for iPhone 6 and earlier models that millions of people still own and use.

That's the issue; one size does not fit all with this virus, I have been saying that since the start. There are so many variables with it making it near impossible to please every Tom, Dick, Harry and Boldy relatives.:hilton:
Trying to protect lives, businesses, and mental health alone makes it impossible to please all.
The variables involved are too long to list, but what I will say people are now our biggest threat, and this is down to the main stream media and social media with their negative propaganda.
#pulltogther #survivetogether

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Whilst the experts are on here I have a question on the app.

When using the “Check Symptons” section if I declare that I have lost my sense of smell the app takes me to a 2nd page that asks the approx date when I noticed this. My question is: if I put a date in and hit “submit” will it capture me as a “possible” and use this data. Or is this just a “help” facility and will provide me with some guidance

Also what’s an “episode” when describing a cough?

I've been trying to work out what an episode would be. Closest I came was the NHS website which has it as a continuous cough or 3 episodes in 24 hours. I read somewhere that it would refer to 3 episodes of 15 minutes or more but I can't find that now

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's the issue; one size does not fit all with this virus, I have been saying that since the start. There are so many variables with it making it near impossible to please every Tom, Dick, Harry and Boldy relatives.:hilton:
Trying to protect lives, businesses, and mental health alone makes it impossible to please all.
The variables involved are too long to list, but what I will say people are now our biggest threat, and this is down to the main stream media and social media with their negative propaganda.
#pulltogther #survivetogether

There aren’t that many variables making an app backward compatible to old versions. Hundreds of apps still manage to do it. Even something as simple as that you might be able to grasp, but alas no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My wife and Dad would also have it if some bright spark had made a potentially life saving app compatible for iPhone 6 and earlier models that millions of people still own and use.

it can be done but involved hacking the system, which is naughty and then you cant distribute through the apps store. Apple and Google offered a supported API to allow it on supported OS.

D

Deleted member 2719

There aren’t that many variables making an app backward compatible to old versions. Hundreds of apps still manage to do it. Even something as simple as that you might be able to grasp, but alas no.

Standard putdown from someone out to fight against the system rather than work with it.

Just stick your hand in your pocket and fork out for a more modern phone for the missus.

Yours be doing your bit to protect the nation, help the economy and stick a smile on your wife's face.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
it can be done but involved hacking the system, which is naughty and then you cant distribute through the apps store. Apple and Google offered a supported API to allow it on supported OS.

Quite. It’s a decision rather than a technological restriction.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Standard putdown from someone out to fight against the system rather than work with it.

Just stick your hand in your pocket and fork out for a more modern phone for the missus.

Yours be doing your bit to protect the nation, help the economy and stick a smile on your wife's face.

Point missed. Again.:rolleyes:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Having just had a chat with my daughter, she tells me that when you scan in manually at a bar/pub etc, one of the pieces of information you give is how long you are going to be there ?

Now having spent a whole career doing process automation and stuff, being old school, from the GIGO school of process automation/software development, I wasn't particularly impressed by people guessing how long they would be there, with no ability to change it when they changed their minds/forgot/got pissed.

However, if this is the basic information that you have to use from the existing process, then this is the starting point you have to work from. Maybe there wasn't time to get the basic manual process right (sign in/sign out) before you start automating the process. It's not as if it's got to be a world beating system after all, adequate would be nice.

So, who then decided, when building the app, that we wouldn't ask how long you were going be there and just decide that we would assume you left at midnight on the day you went in, regardless of what time you left ? (because I would assume that a decision made by someone not to record the same data as the manual process)

I am absolutely sure that the definition of this process couldn't be as completely inept as it appears, so I would really appreciate if somebody could point out what I am missing :shrug:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having just had a chat with my daughter, she tells me that when you scan in manually at a bar/pub etc, one of the pieces of information you give is how long you are going to be there ?

Now having spent a whole career doing process automation and stuff, being old school, from the GIGO school of process automation/software development, I wasn't particularly impressed by people guessing how long they would be there, with no ability to change it when they changed their minds/forgot/got pissed.

However, if this is the basic information that you have to use from the existing process, then this is the starting point you have to work from. Maybe there wasn't time to get the basic manual process right (sign in/sign out) before you start automating the process. It's not as if it's got to be a world beating system after all, adequate would be nice.

So, who then decided, when building the app, that we wouldn't ask how long you were going be there and just decide that we would assume you left at midnight on the day you went in, regardless of what time you left ? (because I would assume that a decision made by someone not to record the same data as the manual process)

I am absolutely sure that the definition of this process couldn't be as completely inept as it appears, so I would really appreciate if somebody could point out what I am missing :shrug:

Unless I've been doing it wrong, you don't give any information at all, you just point screen at the QR code at the venue entrance. Job done. Maybe your daughter is using a pub chain's app, not the NHS app?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unless I've been doing it wrong, you don't give any information at all, you just point screen at the QR code at the venue entrance. Job done. Maybe your daughter is using a pub chain's app, not the NHS app?

Sorry, I'm not making myself clear.

As I understand, prior to the app, when you 'checked in' manually you said how long you expected to be there, and this was then used to decide whether you were in the venue at the same time as someone who later tested positive, (the two of you showing overlapping times at the same venue).

When you use the app, the assumption is that from the time you scan in, until midnight the same day, you are in that venue (unless you scan another venue). Therefor, if someone comes in later, checks in manually, and then later reports positive (manually) you will be contacted (manually, not through the app) and told you were in the same venue as someone who tested positive. (Even though you may have left some hours before).

The point being that the app doesn't record the same information that was being recorded manually (unless my daughter is winding me up and you never manually said how long you were there :wink:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

D

Deleted member 2719

I’d be looking at a divorce if I bought the wife such a shit phone. And that would be getting off lightly.

Let me get this right:

You appear to be materialistic? Your wife obviously isn't.:D

You seem to want to jet off on regular holidays abroad.

The next thing you will tell me you are not living in a council house.

Are lefties just kidding themselves nowadays, they seem to want the life of an active capitalist?

Perhaps their red has turned to purple???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here