Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Any Amazon recommendations please?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just watched The Mauritanian (currently free on Amazon Prime)

Excellent film based on a true story of injustice

FEA32984-0EAE-4FB3-BBFA-3BA0BB758D1D.jpeg

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
It goes a lot deeper than that GOM.

Exploitation of markets; closing down competition; as well as tax avoidance on a massive scale.

So no, I won't 'give it a rest'. You carry on paying proportionally more tax than you should because our corporate giants are happy to flout and stretch tax rules.

Sorry if I'm not salivating because Gary Glitter isn't getting his royalties.

I saw the new US treasury secretary Janet Yellen announced yesterday that they are working with the G20 countries towards setting a minimum global corporation tax rate to ensure companies pay their fair share. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/apr/05/janet-yellen-global-minimum-corporate-tax-rate

In many ways you cant blame companies from seeking out ways to minimise paying tax so countries need to work together to close loopholes. Us Brits in particular cant really complain when we have overseas territories like the British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Jersey and Gibraltar accounting for over a third of the worlds corporate tax avoidance.The UK is by far the world’s greatest enabler of corporate tax avoidance so maybe we need to look a bit closer to home before pointing the finger at the likes of Amazon.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Bosch is a decent cop drama

Just noticed The Shield is now available on prime so will finally get around to watching it this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1999's Drop Dead Gorgeous joined Prime this week. Not sure if it falls into the mockumentary category, but it is a comedy shot in a documentary style, following a beauty pageant in a small minnesota town. Stars Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards, Kirstie Allie, Ellen Burstin, Allison Janney, Brittany Murphy, Amy Adams

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bosch is a decent cop drama

Just noticed The Shield is now available on prime so will finally get around to watching it this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosch is brilliant.

On Amazon Prime I watched The Shield (a NSC recommendation), series 1 and 2 and really liked it, but subsequent series were via All4 with relentless ad breaks that cannot be skipped. But it’s happily now back on Amazon Prime proper, I’m in series 6, it’s quality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Socially Distant Sports Bar podders were raving about this, a couple of weeks ago.
I've not seen it yet, myself, but they don't put a foot wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know he has a 'hate him/hate him' reputation on here, but when he dials down his schtick I do still like Clarkson.

His farm series does allow plenty of trademark JC 'but I've had an idea on how to do it quicker and better', which is basically code for 'strap in there's a 'comedy' cock up coming'.

Yet there's still an awful lot of more natural, real, somewhat more candid, stuff to like as well as outright comedy.

Having just watched the sheep episode there was a lot to enjoy, mixed in with the schtick.
Gerald the wall builder was a particular highlight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gerald driving the combine absolutely fudging killed me.
Haven't laughed so hard in ages.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Gerald driving the combine absolutely fudging killed me.
Haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Me, Mrs B and teenage Miss B were in actual pain watching that, laughing so much it hurt. Gerald's accent is hilarious.

On the other hand, watched the first 2 episodes of Hamsters 'Shipwrecked'. That was awful. So put together to try and be funny, but dismally failing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched the latest Grand Tour special - shitehouse.

I wasn't expecting much yet it still managed to fail to deliver.

Couldn't have been further from Clarkson's Farm if it tried

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Man In The High Castle - I like the concept and so gave this a go.

I may be overly sensitive these days and bored easily? As I found it very depressing and overly drawn out. But instead of giving up on it completely, I read the blurb for each episode, then watched just episodes 9 and 10 of each of the 4 seasons. It actually got better and the ending was spectacular. I’m normally resilient and stubbornly see things through. This time cheating!

So nosily I found out the ending, whilst saving many hours of my life :smile:.

I wouldn’t recommend this box set.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Last Grand Tour clearly pandemic affected, but like Top Gear they are all a bit hit and miss. "Seaman" is superb though.

As above Clarkson's Farm is very good television.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I took another approach, watched nearly all the first series, never found out the ending. I wouldn't recommend this Boxset either.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Counterpart on Starzplay (accessed via Amazon) is a German multiverse (well, two) espionage gig. Thoroughly enjoying it, with JK Simmons (amongst others) playing the same person with very different personalities extraordinarily well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My recommendation is not to waste even ten minutes of your time on Ad Astra like I just did. All star cast, pure cornball space-based soap opera :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here