Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Other teams Transfer Business

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Quality signing for them. He was due to leave last summer but a move to Milan fell through which affected him early on and Valencia have been a basket case for most of the season. Significant upgrade on Bamford but similar in terms of style (except he can finish)

He is pretty well-known in Spain for being incredibly wasteful and inconsistent, "looks like a top scorer for two months a season". Certainly not a bad player and delivers a lot of assists, but I could easily see him fail quite hard.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Quality signing for them. He was due to leave last summer but a move to Milan fell through which affected him early on and Valencia have been a basket case for most of the season. Significant upgrade on Bamford but similar in terms of style (except he can finish)

7 goals in all competitions last season, in 2,500 minutes of football, having missed games in 4 (four) separate periods of injury.

(admittedly he did score against Chelsea and Ajax in the CL, the latter whilst being played onside by, err, Joel Veltman...)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He is pretty well-known in Spain for being incredibly wasteful and inconsistent, "looks like a top scorer for two months a season". Certainly not a bad player and delivers a lot of assists, but I could easily see him fail quite hard.

Hopefully that will be June and July.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Leeds fans are very much likening the Rodrigo signing to Raul Jiminez at Wolverhampton, he too had a fairly modest goalscoring record prior to arriving in the EPL and is a similar age profile, gorwn up so should settle quickly and at his age knows his own game and playing to his own strengths. Supposedly a better player than Jiminez too so I think he will be a top signing especially playing alongside Pat Bamford and all the quality and attributes he will bring as a foil.

Last edited:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Arsenal's defence looks to be pretty solid this time round, Saliba and Gabriel, Tierney and Bellerin either side looks much better than last seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Leeds fans are very much likening the Rodrigo signing to Raul Jiminez at Wolverhampton, he too had a fairly modest goalscoring record prior to arriving in the EPL and is a similar age profile, gorwn up so should settle quickly and at his age knows his own game and playing to his own strengths. Supposedly a better player than Jiminez too so I think he will be a top signing especially playing alongside Pat Bamford and all the quality and attributes he will bring as a foil.

Hate to say it but it’s a good signing imo

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
They really do see Bielsa as some kind of miracle working God don't they. He may be good (but there's lots of evidence to say he isn't) but surely even Leeds fans can see how totally "king's new clothes" they are being about this?

Just like the Huddersfield Town fans said about their German manager. look how that turned out!!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Jimenez is exactly the kind of player that turns the non-big 6 clubs into good premier league clubs. A fulcrum of the attack, strong, not slow, decent movement, positional understanding, good in the air and a capable finisher.

Its what Benteke was for Villa, what Darren Bent was for a number of clubs. Its what Ings is for Saints, Wood for Burnley and McBurnie for Sheffield. And its what Murray was for us in our first season up.

Huddersfield tried to find that player and failed with Mounie; Villa tried and arguably failed with Wesley; we have been linked with so many players that seemed to fill that generic type but haven't got one yet. Perhaps we thought Locadia could be that man.

If Rodrigo is indeed that kind of player, then Leeds should be good for survival, especially playing alongside Bamford as you astutely point out. However, although I've never seen him play, to my knowledge, I have seen many comments describing him as more of a set-up man, often playing wide, a more fluid sort of player?

I do have to wonder why Valencia have so readily sold a regular in the Spain national side, and why not to a champions league club?

I have no doubt Leeds are ambitious and will pay top-dollar wages. But a little curious that a guy who played and scored in each of his last three games for Spain in October, and this time last year was playing and scoring in the champions league, hasn't had a little more interest?

Well we shall see. I fully expect him to produce some big performances early on.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Jimenez is exactly the kind of player that turns the non-big 6 clubs into good premier league clubs. A fulcrum of the attack, strong, not slow, decent movement, positional understanding, good in the air and a capable finisher.

Its what Benteke was for Villa, what Darren Bent was for a number of clubs. Its what Ings is for Saints, Wood for Burnley and McBurnie for Sheffield. And its what Murray was for us in our first season up.

Huddersfield tried to find that player and failed with Mounie; Villa tried and arguably failed with Wesley; we have been linked with so many players that seemed to fill that generic type but haven't got one yet. Perhaps we thought Locadia could be that man.

If Rodrigo is indeed that kind of player, then Leeds should be good for survival, especially playing alongside Bamford as you astutely point out. However, although I've never seen him play, to my knowledge, I have seen many comments describing him as more of a set-up man, often playing wide, a more fluid sort of player?

I do have to wonder why Valencia have so readily sold a regular in the Spain national side, and why not to a champions league club?

I have no doubt Leeds are ambitious and will pay top-dollar wages. But a little curious that a guy who played and scored in each of his last three games for Spain in October, and this time last year was playing and scoring in the champions league, hasn't had a little more interest?

Well we shall see. I fully expect him to produce some big performances early on.

Interesting purchase Rodrigo. Has obviously been a very good player. Knee problems in last 12 months. Interesting, not that Valencia have let him go for £27m as they need the money, he’s 30 in March, and to get him off their wage bill... expect he’s a big earner but that no other clubs competing with Leeds to get him?
Too much for a player nearing 30, injury Issues etc? Low sell on value considering age?

I’ve also heard that the medical is being done in Spain? Surely that can’t be true that Leeds wouldn’t give him a very thorough medical in Leeds if the guy has had a knee injury.

Still, let’s not let details get in the way of the Champions of Europe’s recruitment plans.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Tehehe - although I suspect he's been brought in more to allow Hernandez to play fewer games/contribute more from the bench.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has PL FFP been abandoned?

Everton have blown £500m on mainly misfits in recent seasons, despised by supporters. Giving £112m annual accounts losses. Their income is one third of that of Liverpool and Chelsea. At £187m, more in the same ballpark as our £143m.

Yet, now they’re at it again.

Allan from Napoli £25m
James Rodriguez from Real Madrid £30m
Doucoure from Watford, who are seeking £37m

That’s for starters.

Financed by the two billionaire backers, but how does this square with FFP? After the ManC legal win, is it a free for all on spending?

EDIT - not FFP, but “PL Profit & Sustainability rules”.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Everton have blown £500m on mainly misfits in recent seasons, despised by supporters. Giving £112m annual accounts losses. Their income is one third of that of Liverpool and Chelsea. At £187m, more in the same ballpark as our £143m.

Allan from Napoli £25m

That’s for starters.

Financed by the two billionaire backers, but how does this square with FFP? After the ManC legal win, is it a free for all on spending?

Everton's transfer activity of late has been disastrous.
Exhibit A: Iwobi for £34m

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everton's transfer activity of late has been disastrous.
Exhibit A: Iwobi for £34m

Just seen that in the spirit of football world cheating, one of EFC’s owners now sponsors their training ground annually for £30m. That happens to be the total cost of building an elite level training and academy complex.

Which would be the same as one of TB’s companies sponsoring the Amex stadium for £93m per annum.

Not arm’s length and not at a fair commercial value.

Other than the Saudi’s being rejected for NUFC, football in 2020 seems a Wild West of clubs can do as they please.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Allan from Napoli £25m

That’s for starters.

FFP has been binned this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here