Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What Albion signing got you most excited?

anyone mentioned JImmy Case who came from Liverpool when we sold them Lawrenson and then he repaid us by scoring the goal that beat Liverpool in our FA cup final year.? I know there are likely more impressive signings more recently but surely this is one of our first signings for a first team regular at a Top 2 team (at the time)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think people are mixing up the signing of Vicente (m'eh; who? Must be finished) with the moments (and they were only moments) of dazzling brilliance the likes of which we had never before seen in a Brighton shirt, nor seen since, once he was here and running about on the pitch. I'll focus on the excitement I felt before we saw the performance level.

I'll start with two not yet mentioned. Alex Dawson and Peter O'Sullivan. Both from the champions of Europe, the Manchester United. Sit me down and pass me an Extra Strong mint. Every time we drove past Sully house on the Old Shoreham road my dad would say 'we nearly bought that place in 63, before we found our house in Foredown Drive'. Sully's house. Imagine.

Clough. But before that, Freddie Goodwin. And after that, Mullers.

Mmmmm.....nnnnnnno. Not much I was excited about after that for a very long time. Little old Brighton.

I must admit I was a bit distracted at the time of the Zamora signing because I was still grieving over our failure to sign Lorenzo :cry:

Nicky Forster - he can score! I was excited by that. A bit.

Wayne Bridge. How much were Citeh paying him to play for us? FFS.

Lllalllana. Exciting.

The rest was all wishful thinking or retrospectroscope backfillery. Murray (Bert), Irvine, Beamish, Binney, Ward, Nobby, Lauro, Foster, Worthington,. . . Nelson, Dickov/Flatts, . . . Nogan, Rogers, Freeman, Zamora, Steel, Sendaza, Carpenter . . . . it got better after that but in a different way (good signings of players we had never heard of, so no chance at all of being excited, not till [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] had got the show reel and wag pic thing up to speed. Then it became a bit samey.

I'm hoping we are now ready to go up a level, and that I can genuinely lose my metaphorical shit because of a signing rather than an increasingly slack anal sphyncter.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bobby Smith. One brilliant season forever etched into my memory. Was England’s centre forward only two years previous and one of the country’s top top strikers. Not only did he score goals and make them for others, he gave the other players a kick up the backside and they were suddenly world beaters. The crowds flooded back for what was division four football - I doubt if many clubs in the bottom division have ever had crowds like that. Came back the following season 2 stone over what was already overweight and was lost to us forever.

No question that Bobby Smith was the Albion's most exciting signing ever. In the days before the internet and social media there were no rumors whatsoever of the possibility of him coming. And then suddenly the announcement in the papers and on the radio. Unbelievable.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Knocky.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
As a kid it was Gordon Smith and Michael Robinson in the space of a few weeks.

In recent years CMS, felt like we were back when he signed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bobby Zeee

1st & last time....

Absolute hero, and loved us, it was genuine Unadulterated pure love....

The most natural gifted effortless finisher this club has ever had.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
When Kazenga came in permanently was pretty exciting.

But the real answer is Vicente innit.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Overall: Tony Bloom. Him becoming Chairman was a clear signal of intent.

Player: Vicente

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s a very good question.

As a teen obsessed by Albion, American culture and Italia90, I was thrilled when Tony Meola joined. Faded a bit, when that Wolves corner sailed over his head, into the net and their fans chanted “you’re just a bunch of NOBOs”. Johnny Byrne second spell was memorable too.

As a 20-something I remember seeing a great pic on the back page of the Argus - Micky Adams grinning like a schoolboy who’s pulled the fit bird, next to Bobby holding an Albion scarf. Micky knew.

As a 30-something, CMS was the moment. We knew we’d arrived with the Amex and now the striker everyone wanted had chosen us.

After that - hmm. There have been a few on the same level. Im going to go left field and say James Wilson.

If I was to pick one - CMS.

PS Brady joining was on a par with all of the above.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
CMS - we had been in Leicestershire the weekend before at our daughter’s and their local paper had a big article of an interview with Sven Goran Erickson about how he was looking forward to working with this exciting young player....... then he signed for us!

And my memories of him are not as dismal as some people’s. He wasn’t the best forward we’ve ever had, but he had lovely hair and seeming unbounded enthusiasm.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Craig Maskell and Paul McDonald from Southampton. Found out the emotional news on the Seagull Line after returning from school.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Re Vicente - How many people had heard of him when he signed? I hadn’t.
His CV was magnificent but it looked at the time like he was injury-prone, getting on a bit and used to be good.
It was an exciting signing but nothing on the glitzy, stage-managed arrival of CMS imho.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
CMS - we had been in Leicestershire the weekend before at our daughter’s and their local paper had a big article of an interview with Sven Goran Erickson about how he was looking forward to working with this exciting young player....... then he signed for us!

Interesting. Craig says when he went up there to sign, Sven didn’t know who he was!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No question that Bobby Smith was the Albion's most exciting signing ever. In the days before the internet and social media there were no rumors whatsoever of the possibility of him coming. And then suddenly the announcement in the papers and on the radio. Unbelievable.

Yes, I remember picking up an Argus and seeing the headlines and photo of him getting off the train at Brighton Station. Knock me down with a feather.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Can I nominate getting most excited about two players that we nearly signed?

In February 1979, Peru World Cup players Juan Carlos Oblitas and Percy Rojas.

https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/01/09/the-peruvian-connection/

peru2.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember as a kid being out with some mates on a bike ride around town when we came across a white Astra GTE stuffed into a telegraph pole. Steam and smoke pouring out and Alan Biley sitting on a nearby wall smoking a fag.
We asked him what happened and he just told us to **** off.
Mate said you're shit at football and driving then. We didn't hang around after that :lolol:

In 1987 we came across the squad training at the Greyhound Stadium mid season.

One player stood out as completely unfit, the one with a peroxide mullet. Biley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here