Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We've moved up a level

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The bookies odds on Leeds at the moment reflect less what the bookies expect to happen, more what over excited Leeds fans are expecting. How many in the days following Promotion and winning the championship went and lumped cash on Leeds surviving, top half, European Qualification etc. Few other punters will be putting large volumes of bets on yet, so a disproportionate amount of money is being placed on Leeds. The bookies odds just reflect that, they cant afford to have large volumes and % of bets at really long odds in case it happens. (Leicester for example) so the odds shorten. Once the transfer market has had time to work its magic, and more sensible punters start to place reasoned betting I think Leeds odds will start to reflect a more realistic position.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The bookies odds on Leeds at the moment reflect less what the bookies expect to happen, more what over excited Leeds fans are expecting. How many in the days following Promotion and winning the championship went and lumped cash on Leeds surviving, top half, European Qualification etc. Few other punters will be putting large volumes of bets on yet, so a disproportionate amount of money is being placed on Leeds. The bookies odds just reflect that, they cant afford to have large volumes and % of bets at really long odds in case it happens. (Leicester for example) so the odds shorten. Once the transfer market has had time to work its magic, and more sensible punters start to place reasoned betting I think Leeds odds will start to reflect a more realistic position.

What odds on them winning champions League 21/22? Shirley worth a fiver!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Us to stay up, Palace, Leeds and Villa to go down. That's the dream right there.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
whos likely to finish below us next season ?

Still think we are firmly in the stay up at all costs teams

Whoever comes up via the playoffs.
West Brom
Aston Villa who were so lucky to stay up and will almost certainly lose their best player
Crystal Palace - lost 7 of the last 8 games with an aging team and a best player desperate to leave
Newcastle - not really better than us and will be so deflated from deal collapsing and with no investment.

I also think there’s a case to be made for West Ham who we did actually finish above and Leeds, never easy for new teams.

I think we should be looking more towards mid table now with the ending we had to the season and some very promising additions.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Get the feeling he's just going to go with Maupay and Connolly - and the odd cameo from Murray - for at least the first half of the season, while trying to coax more goals out of midfield and defence

Murray, love him to bits, but surely - surely! - we won't be seeing him in the stri... plain blue next season...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Appointing Potter was an almighty gamble by the club, fortunately it paid off. Hopefully, looking at the recent two signings we will start to mature in the Premier League.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Absolutely true. Bookies have Leeds far more likely to survive than us - but I think that's just to try and take money from giddy Yorkshiremen.

I find it amusing, that they have a squad that's done well against teams that aren't anywhere near good enough to be at the bottom of the Premier League. But somehow there is this expectation that they will get to the Prem and comfortably deal with at least half of their matches.

...without all those loan players propping up their squad.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Us to stay up, Palace, Leeds and Villa to go down. That's the dream right there.

As much as I dislike Palace I want us to stay in the same division, Add's some good fun to the season with the bragging right's. Other rivalries come and go but Brighton-Palace is for life.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not sure where this Maupay isn't quite good enough vibe comes from , it's his first season in the top flight he's 23 so got his best years to come , remember how good he was in the championship, it's a huge step up , Watkins won't score 25 goals for Brentford if they go up or any other club for that matter next season , compare Maupay with a top striker like Benteke :hilton: for instance and he's done a very good job .

Give him time .

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not sure where this Maupay isn't quite good enough vibe comes from , it's his first season in the top flight he's 23 so got his best years to come , remember how good he was in the championship, it's a huge step up , Watkins won't score 25 goals for Brentford if they go up or any other club for that matter next season , compare Maupay with a top striker like Benteke :hilton: for instance and he's done a very good job .

Give him time .

It’s only a few people. Most here appreciate Maupay.

He scored 10 goals in his debut PL season ffs. He’s been a fantastic signing for us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Give him time .

Spot on, he’s had a great first season. He also works his nuts off game after game, and operates on the edge of the laws, with added shithousery, which is brilliant. 20+ goals next season I reckon.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not sure where this Maupay isn't quite good enough vibe comes from , it's his first season in the top flight he's 23 so got his best years to come , remember how good he was in the championship, .....

To me that criticism by a few sounds very familiar. Remember a certain Ashley Barnes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is where we lack at the moment, especially defenders not scoring. With our height and power you'd expect more goals from defenders.

Possibly your expectations are too high.

Our centre-backs have scored SEVEN goals this season (Dunk 3, Webster 3, Duffy 1)

For comparison, with other lower half sides, their centre backs have scored:

West Ham 3
Burnley 3
Villa 4
Bournemouth 4
Palace 1*
Norwich 0
Southampton 3
Watford 2
In the bottom half, only Newcastle have scored more (8), with two each from Clark, Fernandez, Lejeune and Schar (though Schar played sometimes in midfield)

*It is worth noting though, that Palace did also enjoy 3 each from Van Aarnholt and Schlupp - though I couldn't tell you whether they were actually playing full-back in those games.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Just a quick comment on the OP - when you keep PL status for 3 years after promotion you will attract better players - Lallana and Veltman are two good signings and Brighton would not have got either in past transfer windows.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Possibly your expectations are too high.

Our centre-backs have scored SEVEN goals this season (Dunk 3, Webster 3, Duffy 1)

For comparison, with other lower half sides, their centre backs have scored:

West Ham 3
Burnley 3
Villa 4
Bournemouth 4
Palace 1*
Norwich 0
Southampton 3
Watford 2
In the bottom half, only Newcastle have scored more (8), with two each from Clark, Fernandez, Lejeune and Schar (though Schar played sometimes in midfield)

*It is worth noting though, that Palace did also enjoy 3 each from Van Aarnholt and Schlupp - though I couldn't tell you whether they were actually playing full-back in those games.

Schlupp from midfield and VA from full back.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
West Brom
Aston Villa who were so lucky to stay up and will almost certainly lose their best player
Crystal Palace - lost 7 of the last 8 games with an aging team and a best player desperate to leave
Newcastle - not really better than us and will be so deflated from deal collapsing and with no investment.

I also think there’s a case to be made for West Ham who we did actually finish above and Leeds, never easy for new teams.

I think we should be looking more towards mid table now with the ending we had to the season and some very promising additions.

I’m not saying this because we’ve been at odds with Leeds in recent weeks, but I fancy us to finish above them.

In recent years Leeds have had a track record of imploding when the pressure is on. It’s fair to say they’ve exorcised that demon this year. But it will be interesting to see how they cope if they have a bad run.

Since we’ve been in the Prem it has been really tight with only a handful of points separating the relegation zone and about 7th place for most of the season. Teams that put a run together can quickly climb the table or easily drop into the relegation battle after a run of bad results. If Leeds have a tough run of fixtures and drop down the table they’ll be as vulnerable as anyone.

Trying to be objective I think it’s far more likely that any club coming up will fall into that category of being vulnerable to a bad run, than the Sheff Utd category, who have been an exception to the rule.

With that in mind, combined with the progress we’ve made and are hoping to build on, I think we’ll finish above Leeds.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Get the feeling he's just going to go with Maupay and Connolly - and the odd cameo from Murray - for at least the first half of the season, while trying to coax more goals out of midfield and defence

Possibly. I think that it depends on the market and who is available at the right price. It could be the best value market for some time if you have the wherewithal.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think they are more likely to go down if they keep Zaha.

I'd agree, no money to spend, a player on the wane with little interest in being there.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
West Brom

Or..won 6, drew 1 and lost 7 of there last 14 games enough for any team to stay up.

Another point.

Last 8 games, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Chelsea, Villa, Man unt, Wolves and Spurs.

The next level is always something smaller teams look for, but it takes having 22 players all good enough to slot seamlessly into the first team, that is the hard part as it means paying good players to sit on the bench or worse play in the stiffs. If you are doing that for Liverpool or Man City OK not so appealing if its for 14 of the other premier teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here