Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great news all the requirements go on Friday- no more forms, no more tests.. to get back into the UK anyway.

Just need other countries to follow suit now. I feel like other places (e.g. France and Italy) are much more enthusiastic about punishing unjabbed folk- so it may be a while longer before they accept the inevitable and ditch all entry requirements.

We’re all triple jabbed, so simply relieved to see virtually all the rules coming home and in destination countries disappear.

We’re off to Austria in April, where some websites mention that FFP2 masks (i.e. not the ones we’ve all used) are required in certain settings, so I’ll buy some ahead of the trip.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just booked a ferry for our Motorhome for June - Portsmouth to Caen to be away about two and a half weeks.
Brittany Ferries not cheap, but just down the road and so much nicer than any alternative.
Haven’t booked any campsites yet, but probably sticking to West Coast of France. First time we’ve taken this van - 3 years old - over. Can’t wait.

Left last Wednesday on that ferry. First night 6 mile drive to Hermanville-Sur-Mer to enjoy the free Aire.
Tiny place that couldn't have changed much since D-Day.
Enjoy the trip we are.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Interesting to note that many airlines, including Virgin and BA, are dropping compulsory masks on flights from Friday. This is no good to me, as I’m meant to be flying to LA on Saturday if I can return a negative test (currently positive, for the first time since this started ffs), as they’ll still be required for US flights but I thought it was interesting to note since some experts had seemingly suggested that, like security after 9/11, things rarely go back to a more lax state on airlines (pardon the pun).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...asks-routes-government-ends-travel-curbs.html

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Motorbike riding in North Wales.

Airbnb booked for July, hope the weather is nice, though I am getting some Gortex clothing for my birthday just in case

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just booked a ferry for our Motorhome for June - Portsmouth to Caen to be away about two and a half weeks.
Brittany Ferries not cheap, but just down the road and so much nicer than any alternative.
Haven’t booked any campsites yet, but probably sticking to West Coast of France. First time we’ve taken this van - 3 years old - over. Can’t wait.

Try Île de Ré if you get that far down. We had a great campsite on the beach when we went with our Motorhome.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Croatia in June in the little seaside village of Arbanja on Ciovo . It's near Trogir and opposite Split Airport . Apartment 2 bedroom 11 nights £490 ,flights were vouchers we had from before lockdown . Going back as i couldn't be bothered to do any research and fancied an easy break . Land on the Sunday with Croatia v France in Split on the Monday .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Try Île de Ré if you get that far down. We had a great campsite on the beach when we went with our Motorhome.

That’s already a place we’d like to go. Haven’t looked at campsites yet, so any suggestions welcome

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just booked a 12 night Canaries cruise for June including Spain, Portugal, Madeira. Done it before and can't wait to do it again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We’re all triple jabbed, so simply relieved to see virtually all the rules coming home and in destination countries disappear.

We’re off to Austria in April, where some websites mention that FFP2 masks (i.e. not the ones we’ve all used) are required in certain settings, so I’ll buy some ahead of the trip.

Might have all changed by April of course but have done a couple of Easyjet flights out of Gatwick in the past month and they're a lot stricter on FFP2 masks now than they were six months ago. Folks turning up at boarding gates with the blue everyday masks were being directed to the nearby FFP2 mask vending machines

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Might have all changed by April of course but have done a couple of Easyjet flights out of Gatwick in the past month and they're a lot stricter on FFP2 masks now than they were six months ago. Folks turning up at boarding gates with the blue everyday masks were being directed to the nearby FFP2 mask vending machines

It was still the same on Sunday; I think it’s an EU thing. And to be honest I’m quite happy with this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting to note that many airlines, including Virgin and BA, are dropping compulsory masks on flights from Friday. This is no good to me, as I’m meant to be flying to LA on Saturday if I can return a negative test (currently positive, for the first time since this started ffs), as they’ll still be required for US flights but I thought it was interesting to note since some experts had seemingly suggested that, like security after 9/11, things rarely go back to a more lax state on airlines (pardon the pun).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...asks-routes-government-ends-travel-curbs.html

USA are reviewing again on 18th April, It seems like they may remove some of the masking/testing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It was still the same on Sunday; I think it’s an EU thing. And to be honest I’m quite happy with this.

Thanks, that concurs with my reading up on Austria.

FFP2 masks - experts during the height of the pandemic explained that surgical masks give protection to others, whilst FFP2 are highly effective both ways.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A couple of good books and lying in the sun somewhere in the med, touring the local restaurants of an evening. I'm a man of simple tastes :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks, that concurs with my reading up on Austria.

FFP2 masks - experts during the height of the pandemic explained that surgical masks give protection to others, whilst FFP2 are highly effective both ways.

I'm not to fussed about myself but others are not as confident or are vulnerable etc.....if it makes them want to fly a bit more I dont have an issue with wearing a mask for a short haul.

As for Austria, I understand the rules have relaxed a little bit more but when I went masking up was madatory in certain situations but I really did not find it troublesome or impeded my enjoyment. On the pistes, sat in bars, or sat in restaurants it wasnt needed.....and this is all that really matters when you're in the alps :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not to fussed about myself but others are not as confident or are vulnerable etc.....if it makes them want to fly a bit more I dont have an issue with wearing a mask for a short haul.

As for Austria, I understand the rules have relaxed a little bit more but when I went masking up was madatory in certain situations but I really did not find it troublesome or impeded my enjoyment. On the pistes, sat in bars, or sat in restaurants it wasnt needed.....and this is all that really matters when you're in the alps :smile:

During the pandemic we holidayed in Süd Tirol (Italy), Ibiza and Norway/Finland.

Wearing masks at times a small price to pay and hopefully we didn’t pass on the bug. 95% compliance by others, the only arrogant ‘not bothering’ were by some Italians in Italy (a stunning female guest in the hotel … it would’ve ruined her look) and in all places aggressive Italians in Finnish Lapland (arguing with shopkeepers about it and disregarding the law in eateries) at peak Delta.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
During the pandemic we holidayed in Süd Tirol (Italy), Ibiza and Norway/Finland.

Wearing masks at times a small price to pay and hopefully we didn’t pass on the bug. 95% compliance by others, the only arrogant ‘not bothering’ were by some Italians in Italy (a stunning female guest in the hotel … it would’ve ruined her look) and in all places aggressive Italians in Finnish Lapland (arguing with shopkeepers about it and disregarding the law in eateries) at peak Delta.

I was in Rome two weeks ago. Near enough 100% compliance with FFP2 masks on the metro. Masks and covid QRs required for entry to hotels, bars and restaurants. Ditto in Austria a week or two earlier. Stark reminders that for much of Europe, covid is still regarded as a serious public health risk. Unlike here, where we're actively encouraged by hmgov to pretend it's no longer a thing. Hence our rising case numbers once again when by rights they should be falling as we head towards summer. It's just reckless really

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was in Rome two weeks ago. Near enough 100% compliance with FFP2 masks on the metro. Masks and covid QRs required for entry to hotels, bars and restaurants. Ditto in Austria a week or two earlier. Stark reminders that for much of Europe, covid is still regarded as a serious public health risk. Unlike here, where we're actively encouraged by hmgov to pretend it's no longer a thing. Hence our rising case numbers once again when by rights they should be falling as we head towards summer. It's just reckless really

I know I’ll feel the wrath of a couple here, but that’s because they’ve continued to suffer deaths from Delta. They were way behind the curve on vaccinations all the way through, partly awful strategy, partly a vast anti-vax movement which did eventually diminish.

3A4CAA09-0CEB-4894-BCEB-AF316550F0B1.png

But as a family we’re tripled jabbed and happy to comply with all laws overseas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here