Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have spent time in Zadar. Just outside the main town. Zadar is beautiful. An old fortified harbour town. Beautiful beaches and bars . And the famous sunsets… stunning.

It’s very Italian being having been conquered and made into a vassal of Venice in the 900’s. So lots of pizza and pasta restaurants but other fare available. However, with this comes a very Catholic area so everything shut on Sundays and religious holidays. Worth bearing in mind.

They like their football and you’ll easily strike up conversation in the bars and clubs. Though, they are very causally racist and will come out with things about players that make your jaw drop. It’s just one of those things I’m afraid.

But it’s a good place, fairly cheap to eat and drink, very into football. Learn a few phrases as English is far from spoken by everyone.
Do keep a bit of an eye on the bars you go into, a lot of guys are veterans of the very nasty war and a bit edgy. But we only saw that in an out of town nightclub.
Nearly all are very pleasant people who bend over backward to help you. They will give you lifts etc if they see you lost. We had that a few times.

A word of warning; it gets VERY busy in the summer months. We went in mid September and it was quieter, very warm (shorts weather) and overall a great time.

Yeah, it’s a lovely looking place with lovely people. I rated it highly.

Thanks for this, appreciated. I have been to Yorkshire so the highlighted items are familiar to me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Given the absolute chaos at airports currently I am pleased with our choices of a med cruise out of Southampton with Audrey Roberts from Corra and a week in Lincolnshire near Boston.

On a peak Sunday at Gatwick this morning, very very busy, check in took 5 minutes with no queues and security 2 minutes. Plane took off 20 minutes late, but the pilot made up the time!

Whilst Heathrow and mainly Manchester are getting an awful reputation just now for chaos.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On a peak Sunday at Gatwick this morning, very very busy, check in took 5 minutes with no queues and security 2 minutes. Plane took off 20 minutes late, but the pilot made up the time!

Whilst Heathrow and mainly Manchester are getting an awful reputation just now for chaos.

Went through Gatwick for a city break a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely no queues in either direction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Different story for me. My plane needed de-icing and there was a shortage of de-icers; delayed for an hour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Different story for me. My plane needed de-icing and there was a shortage of de-icers; delayed for an hour.

Early bird?

An overseas take on that when visiting Oslo last early December. Our Finnair flight to Helsinki was delayed fir for ages, in a surreal traffic jam of jetliners being de-iced. I was worried about missing our later connecting flight to Lapland. All that despite their mega winter weather investment and experience of snow/ice.

Mother nature.

D3026AF1-21FD-4F8D-B5A0-232FCE744DA6.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Early bird?

An overseas take on that when visiting Oslo last early December. Our Finnair flight to Helsinki was delayed fir for ages, in a surreal traffic jam of jetliners being de-iced. I was worried about missing our later connecting flight to Lapland. All that despite their mega winter weather investment and experience of snow/ice.

Mother nature.

View attachment 146615

Flight was 8am; pilot said that the snap April frost caught them out. Whilst it was chilly it didn’t feel like it was freezing though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Woke to colder than -2c in Brighton, not kidding … probably the coldest minimum all winter … in April.

Airports/pilots are ultra cautious about icing in the wing gear.

Fair enough. And to be fair my exposure to the outside elements was about 30 seconds as I crossed the road to the North Terminal; maybe I didn’t feel it with such little exposure.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Who else has flights booked with Easy Jet next weekend for the great Easter getaway to warmer shores ??

Tad worried now, our flights to Palermo won't go ahead next Sunday !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who else has flights booked with Easy Jet next weekend for the great Easter getaway to warmer shores ??

Tad worried now, our flights to Palermo won't go ahead next Sunday !!

Are you flying EasyJet Europe on Sunday? Worth checking as they’re bearing up a lot better than the UK arm I believe. I’m flying on Sunday to Barcelona with them so time will tell.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Are you flying EasyJet Europe on Sunday? Worth checking as they’re bearing up a lot better than the UK arm I believe. I’m flying on Sunday to Barcelona with them so time will tell.

I don't know to be honest, the wife booked em, flying from Gatwick Sunday 7am.
Barcelona, nice enjoy young man.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know to be honest, the wife booked em, flying from Gatwick Sunday 7am.
Barcelona, nice enjoy young man.

The flight number will tell you, EJU is the Europa airline and EZY UK.

As an aside, I had my UK flight canceled on Saturday morning. One tip is to look for the same flights around the time you want to go and make a back up plan as to which flights you will switch to now. If the flight is cancelled you won’t have much time to rebook as these other flights will get booked out very quickly. Better to do the thinking now so you are ready to go the minute it’s cancelled.

7am you say…hopefully this discussion is moot and you’ll be drinking vino on your balcony in the sunshine at 9am on Sunday.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Also check which terminal - easyJet flying from both north and south terminals now

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Krakow end of month, cheap Easy Jet flights.
Santorini in June, brothers treat.
Sicily, again cheap flights on Easy Jet and cheapo Air B&B for Mrs Shingle's Birthday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here