Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Playa Blanca and not much open.

We left two Thursdays ago and were moved to another hotel after a week as ours shut, all staff made redundant as well. Most shops are shut, a few restaurants and bars are open, even some Dino Supermarkets were still shut and being re-stocked slowly to re-open.

Glad we made the decision to go all inclusive.

There are far more hotels totally shut then open and really not many people there at all, luckily we were with TUI so could stay out there unlike all the Jet2 people who were all forced home early.

By the time we left there were more Spanish people than other European Counties in the hotel.

Positives, no-one around so plenty of sunbeds, no queuing ever for meals but it takes time to get used to when and when not you need a face mask.

Thanks. We booked a cheapy deal beginning of the year to go end of this month. The hotel which we have used before and know / like is still shut and they seem positive they will open the end of the month (2 days before we go) but I am not convinced.

Coupled with a lot of stuff shut tempted to bin it off. What hotel(s) did you stay in out of interest?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks. We booked a cheapy deal beginning of the year to go end of this month. The hotel which we have used before and know / like is still shut and they seem positive they will open the end of the month (2 days before we go) but I am not convinced.

Coupled with a lot of stuff shut tempted to bin it off. What hotel(s) did you stay in out of interest?

We started off at the Atlantic Gardens and finished at the Sandos Papagayo Resort Hotel so both hotels were either end of the resort.

Staff were really good, sorted out a Taxi for the transfer however having been told 1st hotel was shutting and where we were going to we checked with TUI who had no idea but then later confirmed OK.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We started off at the Atlantic Gardens and finished at the Sandos Papagayo Resort Hotel so both hotels were either end of the resort.

Staff were really good, sorted out a Taxi for the transfer however having been told 1st hotel was shutting and where we were going to we checked with TUI who had no idea but then later confirmed OK.

You booked the next vacation Beachy or are you laying low for a bit?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You booked the next vacation Beachy or are you laying low for a bit?

Well we were supposed to be going to Mexico instead of Lanzarote so just deferred that to same time next near.

We have a week in October booked for Fuerteventura, however, if you still have to isolate for two weeks we will not be going however I would expect that to be cancelled anyway if quarantine rules are still around.

We also have a week in Portugal next May for a wedding we were going to, yet again, deferred for year.......

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
We have a villa booked on Cyprus for mid September, New guidance for Cyprus says we need to have had a negative Covid test in the 72 hours before we travel. NHS testing is only for people with symptoms and a few other groups. There are some private medical companies offering tests for holidays but it's going to cost about £150 each. Anyone else tackling this?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Almost snap. We have one booked at the end of September. Mrs WE says she read that you can opt for a test on arrival but I haven't read that myself. As we are arriving late at night that might not be available anyway. Hoping Bojo might change the rules before we go but it looks like private tests for us. Luckily only two of us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

And about 30 mins ago BA have reduced their service to Lanzarote this month / September so cancelled our flight out. I think with all of this I'll take the refund and consider a very last minute deal somewhere

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We have a villa booked on Cyprus for mid September, New guidance for Cyprus says we need to have had a negative Covid test in the 72 hours before we travel. NHS testing is only for people with symptoms and a few other groups. There are some private medical companies offering tests for holidays but it's going to cost about £150 each. Anyone else tackling this?
Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Also have Cyprus booked for a mid September departure. Flight has already been moved from LGW to LHR which is a pain but not the end of the world. Keeping an eye on the entry rules and was hoping they might relax but getting more likely to stay in place with rising numbers. So will now be trying to isolate as much as possible before going to ensure a negative test.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Also have Cyprus booked for a mid September departure. Flight has already been moved from LGW to LHR which is a pain but not the end of the world. Keeping an eye on the entry rules and was hoping they might relax but getting more likely to stay in place with rising numbers. So will now be trying to isolate as much as possible before going to ensure a negative test.

Where are you thinking of getting tested?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well we were supposed to be going to Mexico instead of Lanzarote so just deferred that to same time next near.

We have a week in October booked for Fuerteventura, however, if you still have to isolate for two weeks we will not be going however I would expect that to be cancelled anyway if quarantine rules are still around.

We also have a week in Portugal next May for a wedding we were going to, yet again, deferred for year.......

Keeping everything crossed for you that it all go’s yo plan

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
BA just cancelled my Vegas flights for December , shame but don’t want to go to the states for quite a while yet .
Thinking of a cheeky 10 days in Turkey mid september hopefully , might book on booking.com so can cancel day before

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I went down the beach for a swim after riding home from work yesterday, perfect weather and a warm calm sea. Life is a holiday sometimes.

I've also had a couple of swims this morning, spending a few hours on the beach before the hordes come down from London, and away from where they head. Very calm and still out there. Lovely.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We've had a week in Pembrokeshire booked for over a year, and are heading off there in 10 days. We were looking to go to Ireland beforehand, but you still have to quarantine, so we've binned that off. There is next to nothing available in the south, south west, and south Wales, even campsites. We've just managed to book a week camping in Camarthenshire, starting on Tuesday. The weather's even looking OK.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Where are you thinking of getting tested?

Hopefully through work (work in private healthcare), but if not it'll either be £150 for a private job or trying to get a spot at the Amex drive through, which from what I hear has loads of free slots that aren't being used due to the current criteria for testing.

After option 1 (Italy to see the usual tourist sites) was discounted and cancelled when the virus took hold, and option 2 (back to the Vendee for the 16th year) failed due to nowhere being vacant we fortuitously found a nice holiday let a few miles outside Perth (the Scottish one).

Just returned today from two weeks of good to glorious weather (one day only was a weather write off) with good time had by all. House was around 50m from a busy level crossing so I even got some gentle trainspotting in.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Can you get round the 14 day quarantine by getting a test done and if negative you are ok to return to work straight away ???
If you have no symptoms and have a negative test, you can go to work. I've just done it in my household as 1 person had symptoms but they were negative as well. They weren't allowed to go to work until symptoms subsided.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can you get round the 14 day quarantine by getting a test done and if negative you are ok to return to work straight away ???

No, still 14 day quarantine with a negative test.

Only 10 days (from date of test) with a positive test.

edit: supporting information.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

If you develop symptoms, you must self-isolate for at least 14 days from the point you arrived in the UK and if you get symptoms during that time for at least 10 days from symptom onset and until you are better and no longer have a high temperature. You will need to self-isolate for 14 days from the time that you arrived in the UK even if you have had and recovered from coronavirus symptoms in this time. If you are tested and receive a negative result for coronavirus, you must continue to self-isolate until you have been in the UK for 14 days, even if your symptoms have gone.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Am hoping the government will soon relax the quarantine rule for those travelling back from The Canary Islands.

Can’t see why they don’t as new cases are very low. Nothing like mainland Spain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here