Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a bit concerned that this thread is tagged as 'Food'. What exactly are you planning to do with this dog? :smile:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Rescue greyhound. Has to be done.

This - greyhounds are lovely non-aggressive dogs, good with children, don’t need half the exercise people imagine they do and rescue ones are used to ‘quiet time’ alone in their kennels so can be left for a few hours on their own.

The Greyhound Trust were due to open their new headquarters and kennels in Horley just before the lockdown but they do have a number of kennels around the country.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
For years, my wife and kids have been nagging to get a dog and my efforts to postpone the inevitable are as flimsy as Boris defence of the Cumquat. Whilst I know what will happen - after 2 weeks I'll be the only one walking the thing whilst the kids smash the PS4 - I've cracked and starting to think of the practicalities of owning one and bagging a turd in the morning before work.

Advice from the floor please as I don't know where to start

Do's, don'ts, makes, models, stories of how it changes the dynamic in the house but none about dogs at work. I've read enough about those on here. One of us is working at home so it won't be lonely.

I guess we want one that isn't on the go all the time, not massive or has more hair than Richard Keyes and I don't want a small yappy one like scrappy do or an angry one that looks like it wants to eat small children. Mrs would like a cockapoo or similar but they are upwards of a grand FFS.

You WILL end up walking it yourself, so be prepared to make a 15 year commitment to walk twice a day in all weathers. Great exercise though. Also be prepared for the ongoing expenses like inoculations and insurance, which goes up as they get older. My 12 y/o collie is now pushing £50 a month. Also kennel costs if you go on holiday - £150 a week or so, unless you have someone who can look after it for you.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm a bit concerned that this thread is tagged as 'Food'. What exactly are you planning to do with this dog? :smile:

I couldn't resist it. It was like when I go in the garden and can't resist hoofing my sons ball in his goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We got a rescue in January. Took a couple of months to get him under control (just as his previous owners were useless and didn’t teach him a thing). He’s a 4 year old husky x American bulldog. Wouldn’t recommend that breed as he is a bit of a mare for shedding. He has a 45 minute walk in the morning and 45 minute walk in the evening daily (with more at the weekends) and then free reign in the garden the rest of the day which suits him. We also have one of us at home permanently.

We don’t have kids at the moment though so expect that was an easier journey. He was due to go to a family with a 4 year old before us though but fell through at the last minute. Raystede was who we went to and they were very good.

I've read some good reports about Raystede. They seem to know their dogs and needs.

Btw Casper Angergren helps out there, dog walking.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Get a springer and your life will change.

We’ve had two, they’re bonkers but very loving.

As well we’ve had labs, 2 border collies, cocker and a Great Dane

A friend of ours has a springer. It's looney tunes. I need something a bit more laid back.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Go to a rescue centre. There are some lovely dogs waiting for a loving home.

Cockapoos are mongrels with a silly name to be able to charge a fortune under the guise of allergies.

I know some lovely rescue dogs but I also know half a dozen people who have had serious disappointments. We're among them. Dear old thing hated me, wandered all the time, was unaffectionate and lived with us for several thousand pounds.

We now have a very dear cockapoo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends how long it is going to be left alone, if it is. Plenty of breeds are too needy to spend all day alone, especially if locked in

Also please try and train it so it can run free and not be on a lead for walks. Feel so sorry for dogs that spend their lives on a lead and I have noticed probably 50% do

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Cockapoos are mongrels with a silly name to be able to charge a fortune under the guise of allergies.

I normally ignore it when you relentlessly stick your beak into every single thread on the board, but I can't let this one go.

That comment is so spectacularly pompous I haven't got a clue where to start.

I'd rather pay for a cross-breed than a so-called pedigree dog that has been selectively bred to eradicate any perceived blemishes in the eyes of the Kennel Club wankers who slaughter any puppies that don't have the 'correct' characteristics.

We have a Cockapoo and he is a fantastic dog. Friendly, loving, great with the kids and an all-round amazing dog.

That comment was so full of shit Moya.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This - greyhounds are lovely non-aggressive dogs, good with children, don’t need half the exercise people imagine they do and rescue ones are used to ‘quiet time’ alone in their kennels so can be left for a few hours on their own.

The Greyhound Trust were due to open their new headquarters and kennels in Horley just before the lockdown but they do have a number of kennels around the country.

I'd quite like a Greyhound and probably know more about them than any other breed due to starting early age drinking at Hove dogs. In later life I read about some of the horror stories about what happened to them after thier careers finished. Unfortunately, that will be viteod by the wife.

I should probably clarify an earlier comment. Image of the dog matters not to me as long as its not a toy dog or one that could be named Savage or Killer. The kids and wife will want something cutesy I'm sure.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A friend of ours has a springer. It's looney tunes. I need something a bit more laid back.

Reason we’ve looked at a whippet is they need 1 good walk/run a day, then they’re content to sit around most of the day (or just nick whatever food they can). I love Spaniel’s but they’re so clever and need lots of games and stimulus which must be fantastic for those owners with time and patience, but scares me!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Depends how long it is going to be left alone, if it is. Plenty of breeds are too needy to spend all day alone, especially if locked in

Also please try and train it so it can run free and not be on a lead for walks. Feel so sorry for dogs that spend their lives on a lead and I have noticed probably 50% do

It'll rarely be left alone. My wife works at home full time excepting one trip out once a month to Las Bracknell. At the moment, I am also at home full time. With 2 kids who are schooling at home whilst both of our workloads have exponentially increased due to covid.

It's great. Not stressful at all (if I see one more Instagram post about people being blessed about the extra time with the kids and how they can bake cakes etc, I'm going to launch my tablet at the wall)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reason we’ve looked at a whippet is they need 1 good walk/run a day, then they’re content to sit around most of the day (or just nick whatever food they can). I love Spaniel’s but they’re so clever and need lots of games and stimulus which must be fantastic for those owners with time and patience, but scares me!

The reason you've looked at a whippet, you flat cap wearing wannabe northerner, is your desperate need to eat Eccles cakes.

Why don't you just go the whole hog and move to the dark satanic mills of Horsham. :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I normally ignore it when you relentlessly stick your beak into every single thread on the board, but I can't let this one go.

I'd rather pay for a cross-breed than a so-called pedigree dog that has been selectively bred to eradicate any perceived blemishes in the eyes of the Kennel Club wankers who slaughter any puppies that don't have the 'correct' characteristics.

We have a Cockapoo and he is a fantastic dog. Friendly, loving, great with the kids and an all-round amazing dog.

You seem to have the impression I approve of pedigree dogs. I think mongrels are far better because they haven't been interbred. What I don't like, is giving the crossbreed a special name so the price can go through the roof.

I make no apology for posting a lot every day. It's one of my hobbies.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd quite like a Greyhound and probably know more about them than any other breed due to starting early age drinking at Hove dogs. In later life I read about some of the horror stories about what happened to them after thier careers finished. Unfortunately, that will be viteod by the wife.

I should probably clarify an earlier comment. Image of the dog matters not to me as long as its not a toy dog or one that could be named Savage or Killer. The kids and wife will want something cutesy I'm sure.

If you're Brighton based, walking the dogs at Patcham RSPCA, gives you the opportunity to 'try' lots of different dogs including some you may not have considered.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Wow !! TB has hit a nerve there :lolol:
But she is 100% correct, it is a cross bred and a very expensive one.

But I have met many people with them and they are as you describe your dog, so I suppose if people are happy to pay a grand they get a dog like yours.

But not all pedigree dogs are as you describe them in your post.
For example a show dog Labrador is not really like a working gun dog Lab.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Haha, spot on !

We’ve recently got a cockapoo , and although reluctant at first I’m loving him.
Our previous dog was a boxer (Zamora) and I was set on getting another one, but the Mrs persuaded me to get a cockapoo.
We’ve been looking after her sisters poodle for a few years now and I was surprised how intelligent they are, however I thought the breed was a bit to small, so opted for a cockapoo.
He’s very smart and does learn quickly especially at such a young age, so positive about him being a good companion.

Only thing is I’ve switch teams and called him “Wilf”

8A579B8D-24F1-4A6A-A307-DBC8EAA7F05C.jpeg

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010

Haha, Springers are looney but just so fantastic as a friend for the whole family.

Please try a rescue center. just take a look before you buy one and encourage breeding and profit when dogs are being put down because they cant be housed.

And consider a Staffie, they are the most loving and loyal, yet they get destroyed in huge numbers because of a totally undeserved reputation. My last dog was a rescue Staffy / Alsation cross and he was brilliant. died 5 years ago now and I still miss him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Go to a rescue centre. There are some lovely dogs waiting for a loving home.

You really can be a ‘reverse’ snob.

Cockapoos are mongrels - Well yeah, they are, so what? All breeds have been bred and interbred for all millenia. I have no doubt that in the long term they will be accepted by the kennel club due to the exceptional lineage records being kept by breeders. Even now there are different terms for pups dependant upon their ancestry records.

The guise of allergies - Whilst it cannot be guaranteed yet, these dogs do shed less hair than other dogs. This can be an advantage if one person in the family is unknowingly allergic. It also means the house remaining hair free (dependant on individual dog) which has other benefits.

Silly name - Really? Just a mix of the parents breed name. Over here known as a Cavoodle, but you also get Groodles (Golden Retriever) and Labradoodle. Note the breeding of Poodle with kid friendly breeds in an attempt to achieve dogs with a great attitude.

Charge a fortune - Compared to a dog of unknown heritage, yes. But no more than many recognised breeds that do not have the plus points of these dogs.

So to the OP I say that if you are after a dog for the family, and you have very young kids, I would ALWAYS get a pup that you know at least a little about the parents history. If you have older kids then maybe you can get a rescue dog, some of them make wonderful additions to family life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here