Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of lockdown

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thought this was worthy of it's own thread, as there will be a huge amount of discussion and dissecting of the plan over the coming days, weeks, months.

Noises at the moment are that it will be a five-stage process, the first starting as soon as Monday, if agreed at the review today.

Mr Johnson is reportedly preparing to unveil a five-stage roadmap on Sunday charting the UK’s path out of lockdown by October.

The first stage, to come in on Monday, will see the once-a-day exercise rule scrapped, garden centres reopen, and some staff encouraged to return to work. The police will be instructed to stop moving on sunbathers, small groups or people sitting on benches in parks, and families will be allowed to travel to the countryside for exercise.

However, instructions to maintain social distancing of two metres will remain in force. The second stage of the roadmap will reportedly see children return to some schools.

But pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops are set remain closed for months. According to The Daily Telegraph, Mr Johnson’s will not yet give such businesses a firm indication of when they will reopen.

Downing Street declined to comment on reports, although it confirmed the PM’s speech will address social distancing measures.

Housing secretary Robert Jenrick later made it clear that Sunday’s announcement will focus on measures to get the economy moving again.

“Every local economy now needs a plan to restart and recover,” he said at the daily Downing Street coronavirus briefing.

Meanwhile, health secretary Matt Hancock suggested that one possible relaxation could allow cafes to open if they only served customers sitting outdoors, where the infection risk is far lower.

The government has a legal obligation to conduct a six-week review of lockdown restrictions on Thursday, when ministers are due to hold a virtual cabinet meeting.

But No 10 indicated that this may result in no more than a statement that the review has been conducted and measures are staying in place pending a further announcement on Sunday.

Notable also that one of the key slogans appears to be changing from "Stay Home" to "Stay Safe".

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Argh!!!! Why do they have to use this ridiculous phrase. It's a map, not a roadmap. Unless we're all driving?
People love a good phrase dont you know!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Argh!!!! Why do they have to use this ridiculous phrase. It's a map, not a roadmap. Unless we're all driving?

I guess roadmap suggests there is a route, a direction of travel. A map is just, a map. You might not be going anywhere.

It is very management-speak though, agreed.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Not funny. I see 'days out' has been mentioned. Seeing as how the queues for KFC drive throughs have been, I reckon the roads will be heaving in no time as the nimrods interpret that as instruction to go for a long drive.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thought this was worthy of it's own thread, as there will be a huge amount of discussion and dissecting of the plan over the coming days, weeks, months.

Noises at the moment are that it will be a five-stage process, the first starting as soon as Monday, if agreed at the review today.

Notable also that one of the key slogans appears to be changing from "Stay Home" to "Stay Safe".

From that content the 'five-stage road map' looks like a 'two-stage minor lifting of restrictions' :shrug:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
"The second stage of the roadmap will reportedly see children return to some schools."

I hope not. My daughter won't be going back until September at the earliest. I really don't fancy a battle with the school about it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
"The second stage of the roadmap will reportedly see children return to some schools."

I hope not. My daughter won't be going back until September at the earliest. I really don't fancy a battle with the school about it.

Blimey, can't wait for my daughter to go back to nursery. I honestly think the isolation from her friends is doing her more harm than good.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

The detail suggests it being gradual starting with year 6 in early june

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Seeing a few reports suggesting gyms will be stage 5 and October. Is there a world championship for jigsaws as I will be pro by then?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Blimey, can't wait for my daughter to go back to nursery. I honestly think the isolation from her friends is doing her more harm than good.

My younger sons the same. We have jumped at the chance to get him back in 2 days a week as the school had surplus capacity and offered it. Older son has real anxiety issues and this has finally been recognised so all of a sudden he was lumped in an extended vulnerable group. It's only been this week but it's really helped them

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hopefully be a way for outside drinking in less time than is suggested under the name " pubs"

Must be a way and hope they are looking at it

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Our little one is scheduled to start special needs primary in September, he won’t be going all the while my wife is in the very vulnerable category and there is no vaccine, I will home school if necessary!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Seeing a few reports suggesting gyms will be stage 5 and October. Is there a world championship for jigsaws as I will be pro by then?

One Kent newspaper that popped up on my newsfeed suggested football with supporters by october. Seems a bit far fetched to me right now .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From that content the 'five-stage road map' looks like a 'two-stage minor lifting of restrictions' :shrug:

Yeah, that's not the content. That's just some hints, to allow us to speculate away.

The Mirror has suggested it's something like the following;

BORIS JOHNSON'S FIVE-STAGE PLAN
1. From Monday
Unlimited exercise allowed. Employees to be encouraged to return to workplaces that have stayed open through- out the lockdown if safe. Garden centres could reopen while there may be more guidance on the use of outdoor spaces including open-air markets, high streets and cemeteries.

2. End of May/Start of June
Phased return of primary schools in England, starting with Year 6. Households could be allowed to expand “social bubble” to meet one other household of family or friends.

3. June (End)
Phased return of secondary schools in England before the summer holidays. Small team sports such as five-a-side football could be allowed, along with outdoor gatherings of fewer than 30 people. Cafes with outdoor seating could reopen while outdoor sports like golf, tennis and angling might resume. Possible return of Premier League matches, although behind closed doors.

4. End of August/Start of September
Pubs, bars and restaurants could gradually reopen although customers would be expected to follow strict social distancing rules.

5. October
Possible return of football fans to matches. Gyms could be allowed to re-open. But any further lifting of restrictions to get back to normal life would be in doubt amid fears of a second wave of coronavirus or an outbreak of seasonal flu.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Feels ambitious at this stage, but if someone could guarantee now (I know, they can't...) that I'd be at the Amex (safely) watching the Albion by this October, I'd be ****ing delighted.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill

I'd agree with that (mine not yours!) my little girl is becomig ruder and ruder, im sure its down to boredom and being confied to a house with adults that are also trying to work, dont blame her (or anyone) in the slightest, but god i'll be pleased when she gets out again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here