Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RN SSBN Bomber Patrols

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just twenty words a week in my day.
My Gran died whilst I was away and by the time we got back they had buried her.
Didn't get the news until we were back alongside.
As for the Patrol areas, you only had a rough idea of where you might have been on a Bomber by the colour of the Casing ( Hull)
If it was a greenish colour you had been somewhere warmish and if it was Black you had been somewhere cold

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

That casing story is incredible, I never knew that! Assuming you were on R Boats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Shore side

Ganges, Collingrad, Dolphin, Neptune, Cochrane

War Canoes and Boats

Antrim, Ulster, Rame Head, Renown , Revenge and a 3 week' loan draft to Eskimo (when we were Off Crew and ended up in Gothenburg for a week) but that's another story

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
The casualty from US sub wasn't when I was the Ark. What we did was more necessary, we let the crew of RN conventional boat come on board for showers. TBF they ****ing needed it... Wasn't sure if memory was ****ed but mate confirmed it

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Shore side

Ganges, Collingrad, Dolphin, Neptune, Cochrane

War Canoes and Boats

Antrim, Ulster, Rame Head, Renown , Revenge and a 3 week' loan draft to Eskimo (when we were Off Crew and ended up in Gothenburg for a week) but that's another story

Were Ulster and Rame Head submarine support ships of some kind [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION] ?

I have a hazy memory of having heard of both, but, can’t for the life of me , remember any details.

Was one in Chatham?

I also did leadership courses, professional advancement courses at Raleigh, Royal Arthur, and the Army catering school at Aldershot.
Total of about 3-4 months.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I am one very confused Pongo.:shrug: Inevitable when you get involved in RN conversations you don't really understand!

Benny was the name matelots gave to Falkland Islanders after the character in Crossroads.
When the Islanders found out about it, they complained, and a directive went round that we weren’t allowed to refer to them by that name anymore.
So, it was changed to ‘stills’

Still Bennys, but we were banned from calling them that.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Benny was the name matelots gave to Falkland Islanders after the character in Crossroads.
When the Islanders found out about it, they complained, and a directive went round that we weren’t allowed to refer to them by that name anymore.

Yeah, I got the "Benny" bit, but not the "Still"! Navy ingenuity getting round the "Benny" ban! Army personnel returning from The Falklands adopted your name for the islanders.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Were Ulster and Rame Head submarine support ships of some kind [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION] ?

I have a hazy memory of having heard of both, but, can’t for the life of me , remember any details.

Was one in Chatham?

I also did leadership courses, professional advancement courses at Raleigh, Royal Arthur, and the Army catering school at Aldershot.
Total of about 3-4 months.
Ulster and Rame Head were ships alongside at Whale Island
It was meant to be my shore draft after Antrim but we all slept onboard in hammocks.
She was a Sea Cadet training ship and the best draft I ever had as the skipper was permanently pissed and it was the summer of 76.
They then decided to train baby sailors from Vernon in there and decided to get Rame Head back from Ireland where it was a Prison Ship.
So we had Sea Cadets and baby sailors onboard and we just done gangway duties and played Table Tennis tournaments on here as we found it had a table etc onboard. They also filmed all those Navy instructional films on there during the middle and morning watches.
Great time until they put a Jossman onboard which ruined the whole thing.
I put a C240 in for HMS Newcastle and ended up getting drafted to Boats
Cheers Drafty [emoji2959]

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Jossmen ruin everything. you were a dabber Charlie? (gangway duties). sounded like a cushy number till the joss turned up. who did you upset in Centurion?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003

saved me some typing there Lawro, cheers m8y :salute:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Only boat I served on was intrepid (6th assault squadron RM) 1981-1983
It was a hobby of ours winding jack up by using terms like kitchen, toilets, floors and ceilings etc and seeing them get cross at our non use of nautical terms.
I did have a very brief stay on the old ark royal as apparat of queens guard for her silver jubilee at Spithead, where she spoke to me and I called her SIR. Gen dit

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a non sea going Wren, I did get some sea time in, and I don’t mean the Gosport ferry.
Before joining up full time, I used to be in the RNR, at HMS Sussex in Hove. There was a sweeper attached, HMS Curzon (Fittleton) moored in Shoreham harbour.
The Wrens were allowed to sail her (with a few experienced crew) to Alderney on a Saturday, stay overnight in a B&B, and then back to Shoreham on the Sunday.
HMS Phoebe was also in the bay, and some of her crew were ashore. We were all having a drink & enjoying ourselves when a General Recall went out. Obviously no women were allowed after sunset, but both ships sailed as it was a submiss.
Fortunately it was just radio failure, the sub was safe.
Coming back was great as it was a force 8 and I proved I had sea legs. I even took the wheel, under supervision, of course, but I loved it.
Fittleton ended up at the bottom of the North Sea, after a collision with HMS Mermaid in 76 in an exercise. I was very upset when I heard.

Yes, I would’ve loved to serve at sea, and envy today’s women,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here