Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The impending Easter weekend 'second homes' exodus

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I believe the Beckhams were at their 2nd home before the lockdown started and have stayed there. Ramsay is reported to have done it during the lockdown.

I think we should be thankful they havnt moved on to their third forth or fifth homes :whistle:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Passed a car today on the A27 going by Waterhall with roof box and car full of Mrs and kids and packed with stuff in the hatchback. Really hope he gets pulled over. Tw@t.

It's started.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It is a good question.

Until recently I was taking the family out to places near Faversham where I happen to know there are nice walks, and nonody else there. Recently we went past another great little place we used to visit, with a car park that would normally have 30 cars parked. There were 3. The next day the entrance to the car park was closed off. It was possible to park on the road nearby and take advantage of a completely empty forest, but we felt uncomfortable and came home. Since then, it has been garden only. But I have a fantastic garden.

My son (who you may recall having met at the football) lives across town in a flat. No garden. He's furloughed, and has been driving out like me, and has now found he can't find anywhere to go to by car. He hasn't been round to us because I'm over 60. So he has to take his chances and get his exercise and outside air by walking the streets.

So what's the problem driving to somewhere you know will be empty of people? It just feels wrong to me. Increasingly so.

I just heard that thing a nurse recorded a week or so ago who turned up to buy food after a 48h shift to find the supermarket stripped bare of fresh food. She was so distrought; it was absolutely shocking. People buying food they don't need just because they can. It's not right.

I just feel we need to make sacrifices right now, for the good of community spirit if nothing else. If that means not taking a long drive to your second home, feeling a little inconvenienced and deprived, so be it.

I certainly wasn't advocating anyone does it. But was just trying to get to the bottom of most people aversions to the idea. Does sound like its the green eyed monster with some.

Of course I remember your son. Send him my regards. I can't remember the last time I saw him or you for that matter. Weren't we meant to go for a beer a while back? When all this shit is said and done lets do that!!

Is there actually any evidence that people are planning on doing that in any material way? Sounds like you might be at danger of getting riled up about a hypothetical issue there otherwise, something best avoided right now given there are a lot of actual things to worry about.

Can't give you any concrete evidence but a pal of mine who lives down in Devon told me 3 weeks ago that the second homers were starting to arrive to go into lockdown. Can't blame them really. If it was a choice of being on lockdown in London or the Devon I know where I'd rather be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I certainly wasn't advocating anyone does it. But was just trying to get to the bottom of most people aversions to the idea. Does sound like its the green eyed monster with some.

Of course I remember your son. Send him my regards. I can't remember the last time I saw him or you for that matter. Weren't we meant to go for a beer a while back? When all this shit is said and done lets do that!!

Can't give you any concrete evidence but a pal of mine who lives down in Devon told me 3 weeks ago that the second homers were starting to arrive to go into lockdown. Can't blame them really. If it was a choice of being on lockdown in London or the Devon I know where I'd rather be.

Amen to that. I am always 'too busy' to do things. Then your life is gone....

All the best :wave:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Delete facebook, life is so much happier.

I am rapidly coming to that conclusion, so much dross, false information and self obsessed cretins. .... I just might!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I suppose if it was before the lockdown then it's sort of ok, but it's increasing the population and the population is elderly.
Cornwall only has 1 hospital, Devon and Cornwall will not be getting a nightingale hospital, it's going to be in Bristol.
Some campsites, guest houses and air b&b have been found open, 650 reports of 2nd home owners coming down here in the past 5 days have been passed to Cornwall council.
Most turning up in the middle of the night to avoid roadblocks or the Rozzers.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I am rapidly coming to that conclusion, so much dross, false information and self obsessed cretins. .... I just might!

It feels like a big step, but really it isn't. Make a back up if you're worried about losing photos etc. Once it's gone you won't miss it one bit. I only used it rarely and had muted all the people who were annoying me until I realised that the only people I hadn't muted were the ones that were just like me and were rarely on it and never posted anything :lol:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Totally agree.

But the second-homers may well be there already, called out by West Country councils. They crept in en masse in the early days of the lockdown. Feeling safer away from the south-east, arrogantly not giving a toss about likely spreading the virus.

Yup

The static Caravan Parks about a mile from here, are full of folk that I guess moved out (to Essex from London) 2 or 3 weeks ago.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Personally I love a walk in empty space. 'Other people' get on my wick :wink:

As Sartre said - hell is other people.

I look at this as being a war. Covid-19 is the enemy. Self absorbed, selfish other people are collaborating with the enemy.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Under no circumstances should people be travelling out of their home town/city/village etc, especially somewhere like Cornwall that has something like 13 ICU beds.

In Ireland you can't travel more than 2km from your house.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Chopper news update on the M5 accident with the overturned caravan.
As the police arrived a woman jumped in the car and drove off, she was stopped further down the M5 and arrested for driving whilst banned.
The original driver of the car was arrested for drinking and driving, he was from County Galway.
The procession of caravans were a group of travellers moving from one site to another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here