Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] People recalling when they once played against kids who went on to be pros

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes it was Spartan. Bit before my time but recall hearing Spartan were the best youth football club in the Hastings area at the time. Think Sean Ray (ex Hastings player/manager) was also in that team, also think Duncan McArthur is their age.

I was in the same year as Steve Cook, that school team were awesome, winning the county cup every year and the National Cup once. I was only in the B team, but we still had a half decent side. I think they run County and National Cups for B teams now, which if they had done when I was at school, we probably would've done well...

Also this tweet I saw recently might interest who played and are of the same age as Barry/Standing...

[tweet]1234568524489789440[/tweet]

5 Longhill players within that starting 11 for Brighton.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I once nutmeged Glyn Hodges on Bolney recreation ground.
The former Wimbledon, Newcastle United, Watford, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, Derby County, Hull City, Nottingham Forest player and current AFC Wimbledon manager was left gasping at my skills.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes it was Spartan. Bit before my time but recall hearing Spartan were the best youth football club in the Hastings area at the time. Think Sean Ray (ex Hastings player/manager) was also in that team, also think Duncan McArthur is their age.

Nice one cheers.

Yes I think you are right. We weren't a great side but we weren't awful either. We just made up the numbers that day though. Can't remember what the score was but it was certainly double figures.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Paul Ifill for me. What a school team we had, I think we lost just once in 5 years and often beat teams in school years above. I was only good enough to get in the B team and that was still decent.

Adam El-Abd’s brother Joe was probably the standout player in our year, even above Ifill. The fact he had a beard at 13 and was built like a brick shit house probably helped at that time. He went on to have a very good rugby career.

We went to school together based on this info :lolol:

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I played in the same school team as Micky Cornwall who was in the Sutton team that beat Coventry in the FA Cup. Also as a referee I had the pleasure of refereeing the likes of JohnTerry, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand when they were playing for their club's under 18 team.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I haven't but one of my mates was in the same school team as Mad Dog Kennedy. My mate said that Kennedy was the last person you'd have thought would have made it as a professional as he one of the least talented players in the team.

Plus ca change

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I was in the same U15 & U16 Sunday team as John Salako. He was far from being the best player and was always offside. Very, very quick though.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Longhill 91-96. I was in Miss Rilstone’s class.

I’m guessing by your user name you were the year below?

Correct, 92 - 97. I was in Ms Booth's class with a few other players from that team such as Danny Davis etc.

Honestly, I haven't really thought about school since I left and never had that fond nostalgia a lot of people have, but your post brought a smile to my face.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I played against Michael Standing. I think he was at Hove Park Colts and was only allowed to play a half or something. I was playing left back and he was on the right side of midfield, I had a TORRID time lads.

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
Paul Ifill.

I made a spectacular last-minute goal-line clearance in the '95 Brighton Schools Cup Final from his shot.

Kept the score down to a respectable 5-0 defeat.

That Longhill team was awesome.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Played against Neil Emblem on a couple of occasions, and even saved a penalty of his in a penalty shootout!

Also played against Andy Roberts, both went on to play for Palace, so not that high a standard of football apparently.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Longhill 91-96. I was in Miss Rilstone’s class.

I’m guessing by your user name you were the year below?

I remember there was a kid called.... I think... Steve Jones? He looked to be the standout player but for some reason didn't make it. Might've even been the year above you but it was a very long time ago.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I played against Darragh Ryan when I was quite a young child. It was at football classes run at the Dolphin centre in Haywards Heath. It was strange seeing him play for Brighton years later.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Had a colleague who was in school with Damien Duff. Who was apparently extremely dim and made fun of by the teachers for it let alone the other pupils.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Correct, 92 - 97. I was in Ms Booth's class with a few other players from that team such as Danny Davis etc.

Honestly, I haven't really thought about school since I left and never had that fond nostalgia a lot of people have, but your post brought a smile to my face.

Danny was a good player, I saw him make his one and only appearance (I think) for the Albion against Notts County away.

Nice lad too. Used to speak to him most weekends around 2am in West Street!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here