Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] People recalling when they once played against kids who went on to be pros

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I haven't but one of my mates was in the same school team as Mad Dog Kennedy. My mate said that Kennedy was the last person you'd have thought would have made it as a professional as he one of the least talented players in the team.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Played against Teddy Maybank, circa 1985ish, in the middle of the dog track at Corals Stadium.
Teddy played in goal, his knees had gone, my best mate put four past him.

He wasn't best pleased.:angry:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I haven't but one of my mates was in the same school team as Mad Dog Kennedy. My mate said that Kennedy was the last person you'd have thought would have made it as a professional as he one of the least talented players in the team.

Hmmm. Confirms a long held suspicion.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Played in the park with Denis Foreman's boys. Kevin and Michael. It was embarrassing for me. And everyone else. And yet neither of them made it as pro footballers.

I had the pleasure of watching Kevin at his peak for Worthing Rebels in the early 80s. A lovely footballer - dribbling skills and sweet crosses that led to goals for Edmonds and Cornwell.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had the pleasure of watching Kevin at his peak for Worthing Rebels in the early 80s. A lovely footballer - dribbling skills and sweet crosses that led to goals for Edmonds and Cornwell.

That's great to hear. Pretty sure I have seen Michael at the Amex, but not for some time.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Played against Glenn Johnson former Chelsea right back and he was class. Also used to play with Gareth Barry and Micheal Standing and Micheal was so much better then Gareth, its weird how things change.

Also play with and against a few players who are non league and very surprised they never quite made it.

What was the name of the team you played in with Gareth Barry? I played against him as a kid as we drew them in the Sussex cup, were they called something like Spartans?? They absolutely smashed us. Have a feeling Scott Ramsay may have been in that team as well. I certainly played against him as well but it's getting on for 30 odd years ago now and I've had a drink since then.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Played against Jonjo Shelvey at one of those summer football tournaments aged about 15. He was bald then, apparently his dad was incredibly strict and it caused him so much stress - although that could be complete rubbish

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have played over 35's againt Josip Skoko once or twice here in Geelong, Australia. Couldn't get near the bloke, even though he hardly moved.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As a kid I had a kickabout once with Brett Angell, whose nephew I went to school with. His nephew was the best player at school at the time.

Also someone at school claimed to be the nephew of Steve Foster. I can't say for certain if he was, but i have no reason to disbelieve him. Never played with his uncle tho.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Joe Gatting at primary school. He was in the year below but was so good that he played in our year. He was also in our cricket team and to be honest he was much better at Cricket

Sam Rents at secondary school- we had a few lads in the Albion youth team and he was by far the best

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Paul Ifill for me. What a school team we had, I think we lost just once in 5 years and often beat teams in school years above. I was only good enough to get in the B team and that was still decent.

Adam El-Abd’s brother Joe was probably the standout player in our year, even above Ifill. The fact he had a beard at 13 and was built like a brick shit house probably helped at that time. He went on to have a very good rugby career.

That Longhill team was amazing. We (Newman) were one of the better teams but could barely lay a glove on Longhill. The best we did was lose by a goal.:down:

Joe was a beast, a skillful tank. I was convinced he'd become a pro. I seem to remember he bounced around a few youth set ups before becoming a Rugby pro.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
That Longhill team was amazing. We (Newman) were one of the better teams but could barely lay a glove on Longhill. The best we did was lose by a goal.:down:

Joe was a beast, a skillful tank. I was convinced he'd become a pro. I seem to remember he bounced around a few youth set ups before becoming a Rugby pro.

I like your story about Misirian's team talk when faced with that Longhill team :smile:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
lived in the same road as Alan Wells,he was best mates with one of my brothers

my best mate was the older brother of Darren Newman

back then you could play in the street

lamposts as wickets

someone's garage as a goal :lol:

Garage?

You were lucky................

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I regularly played against Richard Tilltman. My only game at centre half ever was against him..... He scored 7 or 8 that day.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
What was the name of the team you played in with Gareth Barry? I played against him as a kid as we drew them in the Sussex cup, were they called something like Spartans?? They absolutely smashed us. Have a feeling Scott Ramsay may have been in that team as well. I certainly played against him as well but it's getting on for 30 odd years ago now and I've had a drink since then.

As a kid I played for Hove Utd. Used to play with Gareth and Micheal down wish park or Hove Park. I also used to play against Russell Martin alot, he was a striker up to the age of 15.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Not football but cricket, went on tour to Leicestershire and played a young teenager Ben Smith playing for Market Harborough in an all day game, he scored a hundred before lunch. Went on to play for Leicestershire and Worcestershire.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
played against Micky Conway played in school after Cottesmore and De La Salle merged to become Newman , at one time he was Brighton's youngest player and youngest goal scorer.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings

Yes it was Spartan. Bit before my time but recall hearing Spartan were the best youth football club in the Hastings area at the time. Think Sean Ray (ex Hastings player/manager) was also in that team, also think Duncan McArthur is their age.

I was in the same year as Steve Cook, that school team were awesome, winning the county cup every year and the National Cup once. I was only in the B team, but we still had a half decent side. I think they run County and National Cups for B teams now, which if they had done when I was at school, we probably would've done well...

Also this tweet I saw recently might interest who played and are of the same age as Barry/Standing...

[tweet]1234568524489789440[/tweet]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here