Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It is ****ish behaviour of the highest order. I don’t care what other obscenely wealthy ***** the length and breadth of this country are doing, just because they are doing it doesn’t make it ok. Furloughing is a means put in place to ensure small and medium businesses can continue to operate without having to resort to mass redundancies and consequently mass social misery. PL clubs who are happy to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on player transfers year in year out, and hundred of millions of pounds on player wages year in year out should NOT be plundering the furloughing coffers at the expense of the tax payer, i.e people like you and me, who earn an honest, modest wage, and many of whom are likely to be facing a very uncertain future in the light of the massive economic fallout from this pandemic. It may be a simplistic opinion, but this is EXACTLY how it looks to the majority of the population, and no amount of wriggling and arguing the point will make it look any different. If our club has to get relegated because it can’t afford to keep up because it does the morally RIGHT thing, I think I could easily stomach this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is ****ish behaviour of the highest order. I don’t care what other obscenely wealthy ***** the length and breadth of this country are doing, just because they are doing it doesn’t make it ok. Furloughing is a means put in place to ensure small and medium businesses can continue to operate without having to resort to mass redundancies and consequently mass social misery. PL clubs who are happy to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on player transfers year in year out, and hundred of millions of pounds on player wages year in year out should NOT be plundering the furloughing coffers at the expense of the tax payer, i.e people like you and me, who earn an honest, modest wage, and many of whom are likely to be facing a very uncertain future in the light of the massive economic fallout from this pandemic. It may be a simplistic opinion, but this is EXACTLY how it looks to the majority of the population, and no amount of wriggling and arguing the point will make it look any different. If our club has to get relegated because it can’t afford to keep up because it does the morally RIGHT thing, I think I could easily stomach this.

Couldn't agree more, well said.

The speed at which some of the biggest, wealthiest football clubs on the planet have handed out the begging bowl for public funds is absolutely sickening. We are (hopefully) talking about 3-6 months of this before things start returning to normality. Yet we're being asked to believe that the likes of Liverpool are somehow unable to cover the salaries of their lowest paid staff over this period without being propped up by public funds from the government.

F*ck em. I'm glad their long-awaited title has gone up the spout.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Those ELITE Premier League football clubs have enjoyed vast, vast revenues for years and years - just look at the turnover and profits of Liverpool and Spurs this last couple of seasons. They exist in a bubble. Yet at the first sign of trouble, they are at the front of the queue with the begging bowl for public funds to pay their lowest-paid staff over the summer. Are you seriously suggesting they are so impoverished that they can't withstand 3-6 months of covering their lowest paid staff without using taxpayers money ? Lets get real - they can easily afford to cover those staffs wages over this crisis. But instead, in these extraordinary unprecedented times, they're just looking at insulating their cash reserves as far as possible. Its all about the bottom line.

Let just remember this shall we, when the good times are back and they unveil their next £50m-£60m signing who's on £150k a week. I know I certainly will. Lets see if you're defending them plundering these emergency public funds then.

And those elite footballers for the elite clubs have not stepped up and taken action themselves to ensure that all of those people employed to cook and clean for them or mow their pitches or answer the calls from their fans are safe financially.
Billionaires and millionaires who own, run and play football for these clubs are NOT volunteering to protect those 'beneath' them because they are special.
If the club is furloughing all of the non-playing staff why not furlough the playing staff too. If things are really that bad, you start with where you can gain the greatest benefit for the business with the minimal disruption.

Furlough the first team, furlough the Board of Directors, furlough those most able to take the hit, not the ones with the quietest voice.

I am appalled by the actions of this sport and if BHA jumps on this bandwagon I will not be renewing my season ticket after the 20/21 season. This club has consistently shown a better attitude that most and, to now, continues to lead the way with actions like the STH payment holiday and the senior staff, but I cannot clap and cheer a team that refused to do the right thing by the people who make their lives so easy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That. :clap2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ouch:-

[tweet]1246480285098823682[/tweet]

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Dont worry El Presidente will be along shortly to defend them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thieving, grasping scum. There are plenty of other words for it, but it won't get through the swear filter. What utter, utter filth some of the owners of these PL clubs are proving themselves to be.

It will not be forgotten.

I'm willing to bet it will be forgotten.

Just like everything else of the glimpse of the future we're currently getting will soon be forgotten when everything returns back to 'normal'.

Sad, but true I'm afraid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And this. On stilts.

To think I was hoping for a season finale so Liverpool could reap the benefit of their excellent form. They can kiss goodbye to all that, now. And hopefully wait another 30 years for a crack at the title. The fools. :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And those elite footballers for the elite clubs have not stepped up and taken action themselves to ensure that all of those people employed to cook and clean for them or mow their pitches or answer the calls from their fans are safe financially.
Billionaires and millionaires who own, run and play football for these clubs are NOT volunteering to protect those 'beneath' them because they are special.
If the club is furloughing all of the non-playing staff why not furlough the playing staff too. If things are really that bad, you start with where you can gain the greatest benefit for the business with the minimal disruption.

Furlough the first team, furlough the Board of Directors, furlough those most able to take the hit, not the ones with the quietest voice.

I am appalled by the actions of this sport and if BHA jumps on this bandwagon I will not be renewing my season ticket after the 20/21 season. This club has consistently shown a better attitude that most and, to now, continues to lead the way with actions like the STH payment holiday and the senior staff, but I cannot clap and cheer a team that refused to do the right thing by the people who make their lives so easy.

You can't furlough the players, because they are assets on the balance sheet, and if you break their contracts and let them walk away, then your accounts are screwed. Forget amortization, they are gone in 1 hit.

Of course you don't pay them appearance money or goal bonuses etc. but you can't really go much further to reduce costs in this area without agreement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dont worry El Presidente will be along shortly to defend them.

I really hope not, I’ll take a lot of convincing that it’s in any way defensible, especially for Liverpool given the money they have earned this year.

Newcastle I expected to jump on the gravy train as soon as possible though, despicable man runs them

I too hope they bin the league now and they don’t get the title.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm willing to bet it will be forgotten.

Just like everything else of the glimpse of the future we're currently getting will soon be forgotten when everything returns back to 'normal'.

Sad, but true I'm afraid.

Whereas, general society will forget the gratitude owed to the NHS, everyone involved in the food chain, etc etc, football fans generally have longer and better memories ... The chants will be vicious and will spread quickly. The best thing the EPL can do is play games behind closed doors because just as "it's not football anymore" regularly rings out from televised games, the vitriol would be unbroadcastable.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Those ELITE Premier League football clubs have enjoyed vast, vast revenues for years and years - just look at the turnover and profits of Liverpool and Spurs this last couple of seasons. They exist in a bubble. Yet at the first sign of trouble, they are at the front of the queue with the begging bowl for public funds to pay their lowest-paid staff over the summer. Are you seriously suggesting they are so impoverished that they can't withstand 3-6 months of covering their lowest paid staff without using taxpayers money ? Lets get real - they can easily afford to cover those staffs wages over this crisis. But instead, in these extraordinary unprecedented times, they're just looking at insulating their cash reserves as far as possible. Its all about the bottom line.

Let just remember this shall we, when the good times are back and they unveil their next £50m-£60m signing who's on £150k a week. I know I certainly will. Lets see if you're defending them plundering these emergency public funds then.

Easy I've read your posts for years, some, most even I've agreed with. What I don't understand here is why football clubs should be treated any different to any other type of business? People have no problem with paying Say BA staffs wages, but football clubs are somehow different? Why? No one pays £50m for a player for vanity, they pay that money for an asset which is supposed to make them more successful and therefore more profitable. If BA spent £20m on a new Jumbo should that not mean the same thing then? Neither business is impoverished but one is crucified while both take advantage of the available legislation. I'm not saying either business is in the right but why the anger at the football club over any other business? Because of the faux outrage of the media?

If you really feel that way that is your prerogative, stop going, stop buying Sky subscriptions go another way, but football clubs are businesses in just the same way as other businesses are and entitled to do what they think is best for their business. As I said my company are a hugely profitable multi national who have furloughed most of their staff, they are worth more than any PL club and employ far more people but no one criticizes them? I'm not agreeing with the principle, I'm disageeing with the distinction between football and other companies.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whereas, general society will forget the gratitude owed to the NHS, everyone involved in the food chain, etc etc, football fans generally have longer and better memories ... The chants will be vicious and will spread quickly. The best thing the EPL can do is play games behind closed doors because just as "it's not football anymore" regularly rings out from televised games, the vitriol would be unbroadcastable.

Yep I can see some nasty atmospheres at games when this is over, assuming all PL clubs don’t end up going down this route

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Easy I've read your posts for years, some, most even I've agreed with. What I don't understand here is why football clubs should be treated any different to any other type of business? People have no problem with paying Say BA staffs wages, but football clubs are somehow different? Why? No one pays £50m for a player for vanity, they pay that money for an asset which is supposed to make them more successful and therefore more profitable. If BA spent £20m on a new Jumbo should that not mean the same thing then? Neither business is impoverished but one is crucified while both take advantage of the available legislation. I'm not saying either business is in the right but why the anger at the football club over any other business? Because of the faux outrage of the media?

If you really feel that way that is your prerogative, stop going, stop buying Sky subscriptions go another way, but football clubs are businesses in just the same way as other businesses are and entitled to do what they think is best for their business. As I said my company are a hugely profitable multi national who have furloughed most of their staff, they are worth more than any PL club and employ far more people but no one criticizes them? I'm not agreeing with the principle, I'm disageeing with the distinction between football and other companies.

Are you seriously comparing PL clubs who have received 100’s of millions and have season ticket funds in their bank with BA ? BA will be losing millions with absolutely no money coming, aircraft to pay for and full refunds issued for cancelled flights. No comparison at all imo. BA will need Government backing or they will fold, what chance Liverpool folding?

If this goes on for months, a rethink may be needed but it’s obscene how a club like Liverpool have jumped straight on the bandwagon of grabbing tax payers money

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep I can see some nasty atmospheres at games when this is over, assuming all PL clubs don’t end up going down this route

It's a shame everything is pointing to the club (Mr Bloom) following suit.

I'd love to spend 90 minutes singing:-

"we're proud of you" - But that don't pay the bills.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a shame everything is pointing to the club (Mr Bloom) following suit.

I'd love to spend 90 minutes singing:-

"we're proud of you" - But that don't pay the bills.

Looking like it's non-league football for me from now on the way it's going. Fxxk the lot of them this was obviously not what OUR money was meant to be spent on.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Not here to speak for Easy, but the difference between the Jumbo Jet in your analogy and an elite footballer is that the elite footballer has free will. The millions spent on servicing an aircraft is something that *has* to be spent the the Jumbo cannot say 'hang on mate, don't spend any money on me so my pilots and crew can still be paid'. A professional footballer is, in theory at least, a human being who can take a measured decision to give up some of their wages to ensure that their crew are safe.

It is different. The outrage can be natural and not media-generated. Footballers and club Boards can show humanity, generosity and humility rather than just ignoring what's going on around them.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

But are top Premier League football clubs the same as other businesses though? They seem quite a different fish, sacking managers and paying up contracts etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here