Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It seems weird to me that anyone can read those two paragraphs and not catch the sarcasm. If you can't spot it in the opening paragraph, long before the Deeney comment, I'm not sure that reading the entire article will be much help.

This. Liew was sarcastically, patently scathing that the PL will be resuming. His personal view obvious.

It should be noted that other quality football writers such as Rory Smith are openly very positive that football overcome the naysayers and is resuming.

Always a game of opinions.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
[tweet]1266803253448065025[/tweet]

Just as the Championship returns 10 positive results and four League Two teams return seven positive results. Something doesn't quite add up.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
12 out of 3,882

Non story
It just seems a little odd that of the four teams tested in League Two there were 7 positives out of about 100 tests, yet in the latest batch of PL there were zero from around a thousand. Based on that ratio, if they'd tested the same number of League Two teams as they did PL, there would have been 35 positive results. That is substantially more than the PL.

I know the virus doesn't work in neat statistics, but I'm just wondering if this is sheer coincidence or are there tangible reasons why there have been a higher proportion of lower league positive results than the PL (e.g. like Weststander's suggestion). :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but I'm just wondering if this is sheer coincidence or are there tangible reasons why there have been a higher proportion of lower league positive results than the PL (e.g. like Weststander's suggestion). :shrug:

When the motivation for restarting the premier league is hundreds of millions of pounds in TV rights and advertising/sponsorship deals etc, I don't imagine you would be alone in being sceptical over the results of the test the premier league are running to provide evidence it is safe for the premier league to come back.

But, you also need to factor in the greater resources available to premier league football clubs and football players. More money to spend on better cleaners and cleaning products, better facilities, more of a capabilities to support the necessary safety requirements at the ground, as well as training equipment for players at home during lockdown. For players there is similar benefits - better housing in more isolated areas with wages allowing the purchase of better equipment/more reliably safe supplies, able to support families without a partner needing to go to work, etc. generally less necessity to mingle with the general public, even on the rarer occasions under lockdown.

And the greater scrutiny the premier league players are under than lower league players, perhaps means (despite the handful of notable exceptions) they are more observant of lockdown and social distancing than the lower league players have been who aren't necessarily recognised outside their home grounds.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When the motivation for restarting the premier league is hundreds of millions of pounds in TV rights and advertising/sponsorship deals etc, I don't imagine you would be alone in being sceptical over the results of the test the premier league are running to provide evidence it is safe for the premier league to come back.

But, you also need to factor in the greater resources available to premier league football clubs and football players. More money to spend on better cleaners and cleaning products, better facilities, more of a capabilities to support the necessary safety requirements at the ground, as well as training equipment for players at home during lockdown. For players there is similar benefits - better housing in more isolated areas with wages allowing the purchase of better equipment/more reliably safe supplies, able to support families without a partner needing to go to work, etc. generally less necessity to mingle with the general public, even on the rarer occasions under lockdown.

And the greater scrutiny the premier league players are under than lower league players, perhaps means (despite the handful of notable exceptions) they are more observant of lockdown and social distancing than the lower league players have been who aren't necessarily recognised outside their home grounds.

Nicely countered

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

That all makes a lot of sense, especially some of the socio-economic reasons as I doubt many PL wives/partners need to work, whereas many League Two ones would, which may increase the risk of infection. Many thanks for your response! :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Amazon are making their four extra games free for everyone (i.e. no prime account needed).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Bournemouth v P*l*ce will be the BBC's first match on Saturday 20 June.

Expected to get highest-ever viewing figure for a live Prem match. *vom*

SAC

May 21, 2014

Only until Liverpool or Man U are on the BBC, or pretty much any match.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Only until Liverpool or Man U are on the BBC, or pretty much any match.
The BBC allegedly will get 9th or 10th pick of games in the rounds they are showing.

Not surprising that they have Bournemouth v Palace.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
A Spurs player tested positive, very early days but since a return to contact training we've had 0 and 1 positive result, whereas previously we had 6, 2 and 4. This is all excellent news and shows if anything the return of football is not proving to be a health risk, it is a benefit, I am sure players are now taking extra precautions away from the training field and those who are picking up the virus are being tested and quarantined whereas preeviously as the absolute vast majority in such a low risk group are asymptomatic would be carrying on their lives and risking spreading the virus further.

Last edited:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

This been confirmed or are you joshing? Thought it was all decided later today with clubs being allowed to appeal?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A Spurs player tested positive, very ealry days but since a return to contact training we've had 0 and 1 positive result, whereas previously we had 6, 2 and 4. This is all excellent news and shows if anything the return of football is not proving to be a health risk, it is a benefit, I am sure players are now taking extra precautions away from the training field and those who are picking up the virus are being tested and quarantined whereas preeviously as the absolute vast majority in such a low risk group are asymptomatic would be carrying on their lives and risking spreading the virus further.

Agree that this is good news. Also with the Track and trace scheme underway any players that test positive will be easily isolated together with those they have been training with (now that they are back in full contact training), so this should reduce the likelihood of spreading of the virus too much further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here