Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would look no further than a Mountain Ash (Rowan) - Sorbus aucuparia. Doesn't grow too big, has nice shaped leaves, white flowers in spring, red berries in late summer and autumn and lovely autumn colour. There are loads of Sorbus, so make sure you get an "aucuparia" and not a named variety. It's a British native, so that's another plus. It is a "small" tree, but can grow to fifteen metres. I've never seen one anywhere near that size. If it gets too big, it can be gently pruned, but you probably won't need to.
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/a-z-of-british-trees/rowan/

Hi.

Funnily enough, just 5 metres away is a Rowan. BHCC must’ve planted them on our verge 25 years back. The trunk is vertical, unaffected by the south-westerlies without staking.

My reservation was that according to the RHS they grow too tall for our site.

Any thoughts on that, please?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Hi.

Funnily enough, just 5 metres away is a Rowan. BHCC must’ve planted them on our verge 25 years back. The trunk is vertical, unaffected by the south-westerlies without staking.

My reservation was that according to the RHS they grow too tall for our site.

Any thoughts on that, please?
I don't see any major problems. How big is the one outside now? In 25 years, yours would be about that height.
These species only grows to 4m.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/sorbus-rosea-rosiness/
https://www.pomonafruits.co.uk/orna...xbpfkBrYK3kpUeBP9tWBpti2YEaD9XCBoCyOMQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
All the leaves off my sprouts have been eaten during the past couple of weeks?

Will they die now?

If not, how can I stop it happening again?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
All the leaves off my sprouts have been eaten during the past couple of weeks?

Will they die now?

If not, how can I stop it happening again?

As you've not had an answer yet and I'm not good on veg, I'll ask a gardening friend and see if he knows and get back. Any photos?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Only just seen that picture. Stunning! I love Albizia but seem rather too good at killing them. They have such an elegant habit and resemble acacia which in my book is a big positive.

It was much better than the photo two days ago. It was like a huge candy-floss. Now, after the storm, there's not a flower on it! Oh the joys of gardening!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As you've not had an answer yet and I'm not good on veg, I'll ask a gardening friend and see if he knows and get back. Any photos?
Thanks Jack. I got a bit of an answer from my Mum who is an experienced gardener...

White butterflies apparently and she also spotted their eggs on the underside of some remaining leaves.

Do these pests go away now? There is some new green leafy growth at the centre of the plant so hopefully that is a good sign.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks Jack. I got a bit of an answer from my Mum who is an experienced gardener...

White butterflies apparently and she also spotted their eggs on the underside of some remaining leaves.

Do these pests go away now? There is some new green leafy growth at the centre of the plant so hopefully that is a good sign.
To back your Mum up, here is my friend's reply;

"They have been eaten by the caterpillars of Large White, (yellow and white) or Small White Butterflies, (green). They will recover, although it will help if you remove the caterpillars. The plant will be weakened, but will give you some sprouts."

That would have been my guess too, but I thought I'd ask someone who grows sprouts in case there could have been another culprit.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Echium seeds.
If anyone would like any, if you live within a short drive of Brighton, just PM me with how I could get them to you and I'll see what I can do.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I bet their leaves are like cats of nine-tails after the wind?

Sadly. This year has been the worst I've known for completely broken leaves as well, broken at the leaf base. At least with the cat o nine tails look, they appear Jamaican or something.

Lower Musas are protected somewhat, whilst the taller parts are wrecked, that's up to about 15 feet.
92694bf79dfefc5a58796370904f1be4.jpg
f11c2f067fd0672284be121b6e680280.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sadly. This year has been the worst I've known for completely broken leaves as well, broken at the leaf base. At least with the cat o nine tails look, they appear Jamaican or something.

Lower Musas are protected somewhat, whilst the taller parts are wrecked, that's up to about 15 feet.
92694bf79dfefc5a58796370904f1be4.jpg
f11c2f067fd0672284be121b6e680280.jpg
Those top leaves really have been hammered. I notice in the first photo a fruit of the Tennisballitum fluffianus aurea?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Those top leaves really have been hammered. I notice in the first photo a fruit of the Tennisballitum fluffianus aurea?
Lol, I did a double take on that Latin name at first! That's one of the many tennis balls my dog loves to hide various places in my garden. I'm always finding them in undergrowth.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can any of the garden gurus help? Previously healthy tomatoes growing on a south facing wall. Watered diligently, fed once a week. Plumped up nicely but as they have started to ripen, they have begun to go brown and drop off - only in the last week or so. Totally gutted. Any ideas?

20200827_183453.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
To back your Mum up, here is my friend's reply;

"They have been eaten by the caterpillars of Large White, (yellow and white) or Small White Butterflies, (green). They will recover, although it will help if you remove the caterpillars. The plant will be weakened, but will give you some sprouts."

That would have been my guess too, but I thought I'd ask someone who grows sprouts in case there could have been another culprit.

Thanks Jack. I’ve got 3 plants and my aim is to have enough sprouts for Christmas dinner...!! About 30 sprouts needed... [emoji1696][emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here