Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Godzillabee turned up this morning.

This bugger was so big he was causing his own downdraft and couldn't land on the poppies as they instantly buckled under his weight.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Godzillabee turned up this morning.

This bugger was so big he was causing his own downdraft and couldn't land on the poppies as they instantly buckled under his weight.

Any news on Chris?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Disaster this year nearly everything bolted/gone to seed. Even the spuds have fruited. Toms taller than Burn hardly any flowers/fruit. It's courgettes, courgettes or eh courgettes, that are marrow like.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Has anyone noticed more butterflies this year?

Just been sitting outside watching them, I've got a cottoneaster hedge that's just flowered and is buzzing with bees but also in the last half hour seen 3 red admirals, a few small whites and a couple of small brown ones that were possibly meadow brown but difficult to tell.

It's still nothing like I remember growing up when my grandparents seedum would be literally covered, but better than I can remember in the last decade where you'd be happy to see one all summer. Would be great if numbers are recovering

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any news on Chris?

Chris is good he's been doing a lot of sharing this season.
I now have at least 5 of his mates at any one time, but then again he is The Humble Bumble.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Just been sitting outside watching them, I've got a cottoneaster hedge that's just flowered and is buzzing with bees but also in the last half hour seen 3 red admirals, a few small whites and a couple of small brown ones that were possibly meadow brown but difficult to tell.

It's still nothing like I remember growing up when my grandparents seedum would be literally covered, but better than I can remember in the last decade where you'd be happy to see one all summer. Would be great if numbers are recovering

I'm very in to butterflies. I've noticed Small Whites in numbers not seen for years. Castle Hill Nature Reserve behind Woodingdean is currently alive with Marbled Whites and Dark Green Fritillaries amongst lesser numbers of other species. The second brood of Common Blues should emerge any time now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Definitely, for example pairs of Large Whites 'scuffling'.

Despite this current heatwave, we've had plenty of rain unlike the long droughts, so there's a mass of flowers for them.

Verbena and Achillia very popular in our garden.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No veg seeds germinated here, probably because I when I planted (even in a cold frame and especially outdoors) it was freezing cold in April and May, it has barely rained here properly for months, and now its suddenly scorching outside.

Several of the fruit trees haven't bothered either, after a bumper crop last year. No plums at all, and the apples are weeks behind and still dropping. The blackbirds stripped the cherry tree bare and have started on the blueberries.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can I use my hoover on artificial grass?
You need the Artificial Gardeners' Question Time thread!
I'll leave this to the "Plastics" to answer!! (I think I'll leave it there as I don't know).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can I use my hoover on artificial grass?

Just asked my mate who has a lovely garden but uses artificial grass, and he hoovers his.

Artificial grass has shit loads of sand on it. This does two things, firstly helps to hold it down tight to the ground, and secondly it supports the ‘blades’ of grass to remain vertical rather than being squashed flat when walked on. You actually should add to the sand occasionally.

Maybe try a broom?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully I've just had a small result.

Just had to pop to Wickes for more gloss paint.
Outside they had a trolley load of nearly dead plants.
I didn't think anything of it as they clearly weren't worth whatever they were asking, but curiousity got the better of me and I'm pleased it did.

Disappointing poppy bed #1 has been pulled up and is now home to -

2 X Columbine Aquilegia (shin height)
3 X Dianthus (small pot)
&
3 X Calibrachoa (small pot)

ALL for the princely sum of 80p.

They're all green enough just a bit crunchy.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I didn't think anything of it as they clearly weren't worth whatever they were asking, but curiousity got the better of me and I'm pleased it did.

3 X Dianthus (small pot)
&

:needpics:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

3 X Dianthus (small pot)
&

Worth is just for the Aquilegia…should seed nicely

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

3 X Dianthus (small pot)
&

Surrounding the rose planted in the spring, then subsequently swamped by the poppies.

IMG_20210801_140729_056.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here