Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had very similar this morning from 'Lloyds' - slight difference in wording and web address. Reported it to Bank and the phone provider 👍

Thanks, I’d forgotten about that response until you said.

BD9B860D-F875-442B-8E3E-E0E1BCC5F540.png

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
DPD cannot deliver

Mrs Oldman was expecting a delivery from DPD so had an email fromDPD UK to say they could not deliver as there was an incorrect address. Pay £1 to get it delivered and insert your address. Payment by card complete with verification code. Mrs O obliged then up pops a NatWest security alert asking to confirm bank details ie sort code and account number. Thankfully realises at this point it was a scam. Card cancelled.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
DPD cannot deliver

Mrs Oldman was expecting a delivery from DPD so had an email fromDPD UK to say they could not deliver as there was an incorrect address. Pay £1 to get it delivered and insert your address. Payment by card complete with verification code. Mrs O obliged then up pops a NatWest security alert asking to confirm bank details ie sort code and account number. Thankfully realises at this point it was a scam. Card cancelled.

Had an e-mail today " This is an official message from DPD"

" Reassing parcel delivery no.........."

Never heard of "Reassing " before, sounds painful.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lots of emails and text messages about at the moment. Today alone I've had two from DPD, two from HMRC (with correct email address but 100% scam) along with this worrying one-
From homeopharmacy.gr
Saying Good afternoon! Our financial department has noticed that you missed the payment for one of our invoices. Please make the settlement as soon as you can, in any other case we’ll suspend our agreement. You can check the uncovered invoice via the next link
And the like takes me to ........../abortionist.php

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had a DVLA missed vehicle tax payment about to be passed to debt recovery team.

As with all these, forwarded to support@philshing.gov.uk

Auto reply included: As of 31/10/20 the number of reports received stand at more than 3,613,000 with the removal of 18,071 scams and 39,313 URLs.
Thank you for your continued support.

Likely only the tip of the iceberg - progress nonetheless ....
Everyone urged to send anything dodgy straight to them

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Just put the phone down to a gentleman called Andy from an insurance company. he asked me how I was after a recent car accident. I said 'Andy, I died in that accident and you are talking to my spirit'. he was speechless for a while, giggled to himself and I then said 'Andy, fork off!!!!!'

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good to see that the DPD parcel delivery scam has already been posted.

As I have suggested before, always take a look at the originating email address. So often it will give away that it is a scam. The DPD parcel scam emails are from addresses registered in Japan!

'Tis the season for the scammers so stay alert and if you find yourself thinking "I wonder if this might be a scam"...it will be!

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I had a DVLA missed vehicle tax payment about to be passed to debt recovery team.

As with all these, forwarded to support@philshing.gov.uk

Auto reply included: As of 31/10/20 the number of reports received stand at more than 3,613,000 with the removal of 18,071 scams and 39,313 URLs.
Thank you for your continued support.

Likely only the tip of the iceberg - progress nonetheless ....
Everyone urged to send anything dodgy straight to them

Are you sure about that address or have I been whooshed?

Sounds a bit dodgy.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Good to see that the DPD parcel delivery scam has already been posted.

As I have suggested before, always take a look at the originating email address. So often it will give away that it is a scam. The DPD parcel scam emails are from addresses registered in Japan!

'Tis the season for the scammers so stay alert and if you find yourself thinking "I wonder if this might be a scam"...it will be!

Just received one of these and the originating email address is from .be which I believe is Belgium, so coming from elsewhere now as well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just received one of these and the originating email address is from .be which I believe is Belgium, so coming from elsewhere now as well.

Despite knowing it is a scam, I received an item only this week from Belgium via a courier (it was my telescope). email was from TNT with a dotcom address.

Jul 7, 2003
I had four calls today from scammers. The first call cuts off as soon as you answer so I guess that is just checking someone is at the other end, The second call was someone claiming to be from Virgin Media about my broadband. Having has a similar call about BT Broadband a while ago, this new lot were very poor. Strung them along for a bit before I had to join a meeting so I suggested that they might be a scammer. The woman at the end of the line asked how I knew - when I told her it was obvious, she responded by shouting "I hope you die" down the line before hanging up.

A few hours later, same two call process and it is the same woman. I was busy so just said "Hello, are you the same person who tried to scam me earlier and told me to die?" and she hung straight up.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Seriously thinking of getting rid of our landline. Pretty much the only calls we get nowadays are scammers. They are very obvious, so no real danger (to us), but it is extremely depressing to think that there are lots of people out there hell bent on scamming the old and vulnerable.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
These scams are non stop atm.
I had the TV license one the other week, then I had the 'problem with your internet' phone calls.
First time I said 'Let me guess, you want remote access to my pc' and he put the phone down. 2 hours later, same guy called again. I played along then, I told him yes he was right, my 13 year old child had been complaining about low download speeds and lagging for online games. Said child was here in the room & had been watching 'scammers being scammed' on YouTube. I told the person on the line that I knew nothing about the internet and that I'd call my child from their bedroom. I kept the guy on the line for 5 mins while calling to Borisa, apologising to the man that Borisa couldn't hear me as their headset was on. Borisa finally took the telephone, proceeded to take 7 minutes to explain their internet lag problems to the helpful guy, in tiny detail about Fortnite lag. Friendly guy on call gave expert advice to Borisa and Borisa checked they wouldn't be charged for the advice. After another 15 minutes of Borisa pretending to get confused between Xbox and PC, he asked friendly guy on phone if having his cards details would help to match it all up. Friendly guy on the phone realised he'd had nearly 30 mins of his scamming time taken up and put the phone down. In my eyes, although it's bloody annoying, that's 30 minutes he didn't have to actually scam someone. Borisa learnt something as well!
I had the DPD one on Sunday, the trouble is that so many parcels are being sent out, that you don't know who is delivering what. I also had a 'follow up' reminder today. I put 10 Downing Street as my address in the link on the first one but it wouldn't accept my card details? :shrug:
The address to report phishing scams is report@phishing.gov.uk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Had the PayPal account one, requesting me to click link to update personal details and credit card information.

Not having a PayPal account, I just forwarded to the Government phising site and deleted.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Slightly different from most scammers as they actually leave a voicemail, which may get more people to fall for the scam. Thanks for the detail.

that's cool. It was a recorded voicemail mind, and in an electronic voice. It was far too aggressive to be in anyway real "call us back or prepare to face legal consequences"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here