Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just been into town as had to pick up a couple of things...........

A bit quieter than usual, but still plenty of people around
Decided to get my hair cut (not much there, doesn't take long), they're reasonably busy and taking sensible precautions re sanitising hands and equipment between customers
Cafes appeared a bit quiet, same with pubs (was a bit early to judge the pubs perhaps but the usual Spoons lager-for-breakfast crew were in situ)

The striking thing was a very large % of those out and about were clearly the over 70s. We were behind a woman in Boots who loudly proclaimed to the pharmacist that she was 'self isolating' and 'my daughter brought me into town' FFS. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've no idea why but I had to keep re-reading that as I kept reading it as "cougars" and I was a bit confused as I was sure you were a little too old to be a cougar magnet for it to have presented that much of a problem...

View attachment 121149

I'm scared just looking at that picture.

I'm also now trying to work out what is my percentage split between 'good' and 'bad' scared. :lol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Went to Sainsburys this morning to walk around the rows of empty shelves, other than that the only time I currently go out is for a walk, where I can keep my distance from others.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Think that's a popular misconception of social distancing though, it's not about totally cutting off contact.

Unfortunately, I think too many people have a bunker mentality.

We had an honest conversation with everyone at our workplace. There are 50 of us. We talked about the importance of mental health and how working from home 24/7 could be damaging for some.

Our office is still open, but we are encouraging people to work from home more; to work from home if vulnerable or living with vulnerable people; and to plan their journey to the office at quiet times - which to be honest is anytime at the moment as the trains are empty.

Lockdown may well come, and if it does then that's the time when people could be most vulnerable. Going into unnecessary self-imposed lockdown down would, in my view, be unwise.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
My situation: T1 Diabetes (so moderate risk), and in a family of 4.

I'm very fortunate to be able to work from home, and for the main part I'm taking my 'outdoors' time in the garden, but that's mainly because I see this as an opportunity to spruce it up and get it looking lovely for the summer. Yesterday I went out to the garden centre as well to panic buy some stuff. We've cancelled a number of plans, but have kept the odd kids' play date outside in parks - as the schools haven't broken up there's little sense in cutting these out.

Mrs MBH's work is unshutdownable and she's picking up more and more hours due to absence.

So pretty seriously, I think.

T1D here too. Pretty similar to you. Got enough insulin to last me a while and luckily I hadn’t picked up my last Freestyle Libre prescription so now have 2 months worth. Took my daughter out of school today for my own piece of mind. Have been social distancing for the last couple of weeks anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do hope that the Government are factoring in how much/many people will ignore this, how stupid/selfish the average person is etc.

These were the assumptions in the Imperial modelling with regard to social distancing:

All households reduce contact outside household, school or workplace by 75%. School contact rates unchanged, workplace contact rates reduced by 25%. Household contact rates assumed to increase by 25%.

Thinking about us briefly, the following regular contacts have all gone:

- Son's chess club
- Son's gym club
- Son's cubs
- Partner's weekly pub quiz
- Sitting in the coffee shop for an hour or so 2-3 times a week
- Fortnightly football including train transport to/from and, sometimes the pub
- Nights with friend's in our/their house
- Occasional meals out
- Occasional cinema/theatre/gigs

Remaining:

- Food shopping
- Popping to the coffee shop to pick a drink up
- Son's swimming lessons (we're thinking about that one hard right now - last one was Wednesday last week - the world has changed a lot since then)

I think we've reduced contact time inside with other people by far more than 75%.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My wife and I, and 3 kids will all be going into isolation for 12 weeks, from Sunday... My elderly in-laws don't get it and are planning to still pop to the shop for the daily paper and supplies!

Makes me despair...

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Since they added pregnant women into the higher risk category I've been taking it more seriously. We've cancelled a big family meal out on Saturday and my baby shower in April, will most likely be cancelled too. My in-laws are having lots of family round for a meal at Easter but we'll need to decide on that nearer the time.

I work from home, so that's not a problem, and my husband will get the food shopping.

Thankfully I have a dog, who I'll still be taking for walks, otherwise I'd probably go insane!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Very. Missus and I are getting a bit obsessive. Using disposable gloves for shopping, stopped looking after grandchildren (mutual agreement). Have problem with people in queues who don’t understand distancing. Just trying to keep us and others safe. Bit of a pain in the arse but not yet got the vhs player and old Albion tapes out yet!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I am but others aren’t, which makes it difficult. No online food shopping here in Rustington for the foreseeable so I’m having to go to the shops. I kept a two metre distance from the woman in front in the queue but the prick behind me was right at my heels.

Was it this bloke by any chance?... Not quite at your heels, but almost...

3C505A6100000578-0-image-a-33_1484905781280.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My wife and I, and 3 kids will all be going into isolation for 12 weeks, from Sunday... My elderly in-laws don't get it and are planning to still pop to the shop for the daily paper and supplies!

Makes me despair...

With the situation over your wife’s health I can see why you have gone into isolation.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am taking it very seriously I went to Sainsburys this morning isle after isle of empty shelves some staff stood looking a bit shell shocked while others were busy disinfecting any hard surfaces, several shoppers were wearing disposable gloves

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seriously, does anyone actually know what the recommendation for regularly is?

Every hour? 30 mins ??? Weekly????

With regards to gathering in large numbers is there a suggestion for a safe number?

From what is happening here and in most of Europe, the decision is made by the authorities.

All bars, restaurants, clubs, in fact anywhere where people gather, are closed. As are the schools and Uni.

We will go out to the coast later today on our bikes and have a stroll but only on our own, keeping away from people as much as possible.

Well, unfortunately it boils down to common sense.
However, our biggest concern is the elderly. Walking from Lancing to Shoreham just now it’s really disappointing seeing so may old people out and about and looking perplexed when I distance myself from them.
Silly old sods.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds sensible on the face of it, but I saw something earlier on how long this virus remains active in the air and on surfaces that would leave me a bit nervy with some of that approach.

Fair enough. I can understand this. I guess each country has different circumstances, culture, behavioural patterns and resources which influence their approach.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
These were the assumptions in the Imperial modelling with regard to social distancing:

All households reduce contact outside household, school or workplace by 75%. School contact rates unchanged, workplace contact rates reduced by 25%. Household contact rates assumed to increase by 25%.

Thinking about us briefly, the following regular contacts have all gone:

- Son's chess club
- Son's gym club
- Son's cubs
- Partner's weekly pub quiz
- Sitting in the coffee shop for an hour or so 2-3 times a week
- Fortnightly football including train transport to/from and, sometimes the pub
- Nights with friend's in our/their house
- Occasional meals out
- Occasional cinema/theatre/gigs

Remaining:

- Food shopping
- Popping to the coffee shop to pick a drink up
- Son's swimming lessons (we're thinking about that one hard right now - last one was Wednesday last week - the world has changed a lot since then)

I think we've reduced contact time inside with other people by far more than 75%.

As someone who normally swims 3 times a week I'd bin it. Whilst Swimming pools aren't great for breeding due to the Chlorine, Changing rooms are. My Swim club has stopped everything till the end of May off the back of this

https://www.swimming.org/swimengland/coronavirus-statement/

My Lad is missing his Chess. Maybe worth kicking off the NSC chess club again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As someone who normally swims 3 times a week I'd bin it. Whilst Swimming pools aren't great for breeding due to the Chlorine, Changing rooms are. My Swim club has stopped everything till the end of May off the back of this

https://www.swimming.org/swimengland/coronavirus-statement/

Thanks.

It's one-on-one tuition in a small pool - 4 or 5 kids being taught at a time, but I completely get the changing room thing, which is what I said to my partner this morning when we were discussing it. We'll have another chat when she's home before his scheduled lesson later on.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Elsewhere I've seen a few people comment on cafes and coffee shops being busy, with others seemingly congratulating people for carrying on. Isn't this exactly the behaviour that got Italy into trouble?

People with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude, either because they believe they are low-risk, "it's only sniffles", "hardly anyone has it - what's the fuss about?" or believe that because they are not symptomatic, they couldn't be part of the problem, think it's OK to ignore the advice being handed out.

Initial research indicates that people can spread the virus before they are symptomatic (they may even remain completely asymptomatic throughout infection), and it's through this that the growth of the virus really ramps up.

I've heard a few mentions on the radio this morning of people not taking it seriously yet. I'm guessing that if virus spread out-strips model forecasts and health resources do become overwhelmed then we may see mandatory stay-at-home instructions as in other nations. Surely we don't want that if we can avoid it?

We will continue to support our local businesses. We love our local independent coffee shop and we'll still get drinks and cake but will takeaway instead of sitting in, and we'll do the same with favourite restaurants that offer takeaway services.

Are you taking it seriously?

Please don't turn this into a "they should shut the pubs if they don't want us to use them" or "they should shut the schools then" thread. This is about YOUR behaviour with regard to social distancing.

I am in the 'Can't really do much about it camp'. I would like to adhere to the rules but I work in a college where yesterday I invigilated a warm exam hall of 70 students followed by a staff meeting. My college is still open so I am walking to and from work every day then sitting in classrooms full of people. It is for this reason that the Gov needs to make a decision now if we are genuine about social distancing.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm out of work so I'm in all day anyway. I didn't go out at all in Monday but I did pop to the pub yesterday and there was about 20 people in there and 4 or 5 were well over 70.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks.

It's one-on-one tuition in a small pool - 4 or 5 kids being taught at a time, but I completely get the changing room thing, which is what I said to my partner this morning when we were discussing it. We'll have another chat when she's home before his scheduled lesson later on.

My husband still went to the gym last night, but the trainer is restricting it to three people at any time, and each piece of equipment is cleaned after each usage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here