Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My experience, from being outside on walks/runs 3 or 4 times a day is that 99%+ of those we meet are observing social distancing. Whenever I meet people on paths and trails, care is taken to leave as much distance as possible.

The worst offenders I see are teenage boys who seem to be congregating in groups more and more, but at least they're outside.

This is definitely my experience too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And if "meeting family" involves remaining outside and no physical touching of any kind then the risk of virus transmission, even if anyone is infected, is very, very small indeed.

I guess the "meet one person at a time away from home" rule is because if you had a "you can go round someone's house but stay outside" rule, by the time you do that over a large number of people there will be occasions where some people "just pop inside to use the loo" or "have a quick glass of water, I'm really thirsty" and once that happens, some virus transmission will occur.

My experience, from being outside on walks/runs 3 or 4 times a day is that 99%+ of those we meet are observing social distancing. Whenever I meet people on paths and trails, care is taken to leave as much distance as possible.

The worst offenders I see are teenage boys who seem to be congregating in groups more and more, but at least they're outside.

100% agree with this. I've been running pretty much ever day during lockdown using roads, paths, trails etc and I'm not seeing much difference now to earlier weeks - vast majority of walkers and runners are very deliberately making space for each other to pass (often way more than 2m in an exaggerated 'look at how well I am distancing' kind of way)

I think 'going to a house' will be one of the next things to ease (formally) - it's already happening quite a bit anyway. I think people actually being 'allowed' to see relatives/other close friends will be seen positively and will make things start to feel a bit more normal, with common sense still being applied in relation to limiting the spread of the virus (outdoors where possible, not sharing food, lots of handwashing etc). If I think about our own family & friends group, our current risk of contracting it must be incredibly tiny, and therefore the risk of spreading tinier still.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
And if "meeting family" involves remaining outside and no physical touching of any kind then the risk of virus transmission, even if anyone is infected, is very, very small indeed.

I guess the "meet one person at a time away from home" rule is because if you had a "you can go round someone's house but stay outside" rule, by the time you do that over a large number of people there will be occasions where some people "just pop inside to use the loo" or "have a quick glass of water, I'm really thirsty" and once that happens, some virus transmission will occur.

I try to check the online Government guidance because it seems to change regularly. The advice on meeting people now just says meet 'outdoors'. It no longer spells out that this needs to be in a public place. Seems to me that you could therefore meet in a front / back garden, you just can't go 'in their home' - which I read as meaning inside their house. I guess this can be read in different ways but the 'public space' wording is no longer there.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 12.25.44.jpeg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Have you tried cycling? I'd say 99% of pedestrians pretend cyclists are invisible and walk as close to them as possible. I do swerve out of their way if there isn't a car alongside me.

The other thing about meeting family members is of course travelling. For us, my family are 260 miles away in Sussex and my wife's family are 310 miles away in Devon. Clearly we can't just pop and see each other in a public place, but when meeting in homes is allowed, we'd have to stay (somewhere) and then you've got the risk of inter-region travelling etc. too.

Having said all that, I am optimistic that the virus is starting to fizzle out of its own accord.

Last edited:

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Have you tried cycling? I'd say 99% of pedestrians pretend cyclists are invisible and walk as close to them as possible. I do swerve out of their way if there isn't a car alongside me.

The other thing about meeting family members is of course travelling. For us, my family are 260 miles away in Sussex and my wife's family are 310 miles away in Devon. Clearly we can't just pop and see each other in a public place, but when meeting in homes is allowed, we'd have to stay (somewhere) and then you've got the risk of inter-region travelling etc. too.

Having said all that, I am optimistic that the virus is starting to fizzle out of its own accord.

I think the cycling/pedestrian thing is no win either way. I do both and problems happen either way. Pedestrians do sometimes expect the cyclist to move aside when there is a lack of space but cyclists often come from behind and pass ridiculously close by. I cycle every day and the number of fellow cyclists who simply ignore "no cycling" signs is painful to see. It is that which annoys the non cyclists the most I think.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If you are a grown adult who couldn't ride on the basically empty roads we had a few weeks back and had to go on the pavement then you shouldn't be riding a bike.

Jimmy Grimble

More seriously than the travellers down Preston Park earlier.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sat down the level yesterday with a mate (at a distance) a few places selling cheap takeaway pints now, couldn't resist! Screenshot_20200523-181350_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Severely breaking round here, but then again the infection rate has massively fallen.

Went for a walk in Wandsworth Common and a large group of teenagers had met up. Large groups of adults elsewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Severely breaking round here, but then again the infection rate has massively fallen.

Went for a walk in Wandsworth Common and a large group of teenagers had met up. Large groups of adults elsewhere.

Teenagers/young adults have been the worst offenders throughout from what I've seen.

It does feel as though there is widespread "relaxation" going on now. Our next-door neighbours very obviously had visitors today for the first time I'm aware of. They seemed to spend most of the time (very possibly all of the time) in the back garden, which is how I'm aware.

The risk of catching the virus when outdoors is very slim, particularly if people do try and remain distant from others, but I guess if you multiply these instances of "relaxation" up across the whole country, it's inevitable there will be some spread.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The risk of catching the virus when outdoors is very slim, particularly if people do try and remain distant from others.

That what I've seen break down though. Large group of boys play fighting and hugging. Obviously had the green light the lock down had finished and they all met up.

Had to laugh though, some had masks on.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
which pub is this?

I know of two London pubs have been doing similar for ages. The kitchens stayed open and they started vacuum packing the meals and turning themselves into food shops.

One was selling takeaway pints (and cocktails) - they just brought the bar forward.

The other one (more ingeniously) has created a one way system inside and has morphed into a fruit and veg shop whilst selling posh vacuum packed meals.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I know of two London pubs have been doing similar for ages. The kitchens stayed open and they started vacuum packing the meals and turning themselves into food shops.

One was selling takeaway pints (and cocktails) - they just brought the bar forward.

The other one (more ingeniously) has created a one way system inside and has morphed into a fruit and veg shop whilst selling posh vacuum packed meals.

good to hear. Hopefully more and more will start up. Salvage some summer drinking

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So Scotland now more relaxed than England re meeting people outside- they can meet people from another household outside, up to 8 people in total, from tomorrow. As opposed to the England restriction of a household being able to meet 1 person from outside the household.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52819189

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here