Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Surely this cant be true...i mean a second one ....

Spain you mean? I think it’s just looks dramatically low on these charts, they are still having between 2/300 cases a day on average but due to them having a positive tests peak of 10k it looks so minute in the context of this graph.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spain you mean? I think it’s just looks dramatically low on these charts, they are still having between 2/300 cases a day on average but due to them having a positive tests peak of 10k it looks so minute in the context of this graph.

Wizz i was taking the mick...bad joke ignore

The charts represent good progress ...do they do a breakdown care homes/hospital/wider community?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Wizz i was taking the mick...bad joke ignore

The charts represent good progress ...do they do a breakdown care homes/hospital/wider community?
Missed that one :lolol: Infection rate here is decreasing rapidly and monday was two weeks since the bank holiday when all the Karen’s were OUTRAGED by packed parks and beaches, I think it’s becoming clear the research that said outdoor transmission rate is vanishingly low, is very true.

As for breakdown of other countries I couldn’t tell you, I think they are further down the line when it comes to care homes as over half of the deaths we reported today were from care homes.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I think it’s low in any context to be honest. 300 cases per day in a country of 45m, that’s 0.0001% of the population picking it up each day. In other words, you have a 1 in 150,000 chance of being infected in Spain on a given day right now, probably much less if you’re not currently in a hospital or care home.

Provided there are enough steps in place to ensure that the numbers decline (and they are in Spain despite a significantly loosened version of lockdown compared to our own right now), it will be gone in a matter of weeks and has virtually disappeared already.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Missed that one :lolol: Infection rate here is decreasing rapidly and monday was two weeks since the bank holiday when all the Karen’s were OUTRAGED by packed parks and beaches, I think it’s becoming clear the research that said outdoor transmission rate is vanishingly low, is very true.

As for breakdown of other countries I couldn’t tell you, I think they are further down the line when it comes to care homes as over half of the deaths we reported today were from care homes.

Ta.....have you seen any other info re virus producing milder symptoms....we had a bit of media coverage re Italian/Spanish doctors mentioning it which you covered....but seen nothing since

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ta.....have you seen any other info re virus producing milder symptoms....we had a bit of media coverage re Italian/Spanish doctors mentioning it which you covered....but seen nothing since

I saw a few studies debunking it, saying that there’s more people with lower viral loads because they are finding a lot more mild cases due to increased testing, it seems at the minute with these things one study shows something followed by it totally contradicted the next day :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I saw a few studies debunking it, saying that there’s more people with lower viral loads because they are finding a lot more mild cases due to increased testing, it seems at the minute with these things one study shows something followed by it totally contradicted the next day :lolol:

Deleted

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Well, this was a nice surprise this morning.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

The estimated number of people in the UK with symptomatic covid-19 has been bobbling along at a similar level for a few weeks now on the symptom tracker app website. Dropped a bit, crept up a bit, but nothing very significant either way.

So I wasn't expecting a huge change in their estimates for new daily cases. But their weekly update, calculated yesterday and based on figures from 24th May to 6th June, shows a whopping 47% reduction in daily new cases across the UK. 39% for England (where they are backing up their estimates based on reported symptoms with random swab tests to increase accuracy).

I am not sure how this tallies with the number of symptomatic cases staying level. But it's very good news nonetheless, and lines up well with all the other indicators which show the infection rate dropping far faster than I would have feared (and assumed) given the shifts in rules and behaviour through May.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
https://www.festivalrepublic.com/news/full-capacity-plan

Reading festival organisers proposal to help bring sport and live music back at full capacity. Think it's a positive step

What I like about this plan is that it takes the virus seriously and has come up with a concrete plan and timeline. Whilst the details maybe up for debate as we all know that is where the devil resides.

This is the sort of forward thinking and planning the government should have had up their sleeves as a matter of course, or at the very least once the severity of the pandemic became clear.

If we had a reliable trustworthy app, ready access to tests and the ability to process the results quickly then this would be a possibility.

Just glad that someone has come up with a constructive set of ideas to get the debate going.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
What I like about this plan is that it takes the virus seriously and has come up with a concrete plan and timeline. Whilst the details maybe up for debate as we all know that is where the devil resides.

This is the sort of forward thinking and planning the government should have had up their sleeves as a matter of course, or at the very least once the severity of the pandemic became clear.

If we had a reliable trustworthy app, ready access to tests and the ability to process the results quickly then this would be a possibility.

Just glad that someone has come up with a constructive set of ideas to get the debate going.

They originally put it up on their website a week or so ago but took it down to tweak it a bit. It is the only workable solution for the entertainment industry. I'm sure it still needs further tweaks but the principles are there and it's clear that those industries cant operate at the 20 to 30% capacity that would currently exist

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
They originally put it up on their website a week or so ago but took it down to tweak it a bit. It is the only workable solution for the entertainment industry. I'm sure it still needs further tweaks but the principles are there and it's clear that those industries cant operate at the 20 to 30% capacity that would currently exist

Totally agree. I see this plan as a starting point, and as a start point it is a good one.

Yoda

English & European
Yet more fuel for the 'fizzling out' theory I reckon....half-expecting to see something formal from one or more of the more reliable/accredited research groups at some point soon.

Well, if you starve a virus of new hosts via social distancing and good hygiene it will eventually fizzle out.

saulth

May 28, 2020
Interesting developments re monoclonal antibodies treatment.

Eli Lilly and Co could have a drug specifically designed to treat COVID-19 authorized for use as early as September if all goes well with either of two antibody therapies it is testing, its chief scientist told Reuters on Wednesday.

Lilly is also doing preclinical studies of a third antibody treatment for the illness caused by the new coronavirus that could enter human clinical trials in the coming weeks, Chief Scientific Officer Daniel Skovronsky said in an interview.

Lilly has already launched human trials with two of the experimental therapies.

The drugs belong to a class of biotech medicines called monoclonal antibodies widely used to treat cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and many other conditions. A monoclonal antibody drug developed against COVID-19 is likely to be more effective than repurposed medicines currently being tested against the virus.

Skovronsky said the therapies - which may also be used to prevent the disease - could beat a vaccine to widespread use as a COVID-19 treatment, if they prove effective.

“For the treatment indication, particularly, this could go pretty fast,” he said in an interview. “If in August or September we’re seeing the people who got treated are not progressing to hospitalization, that would be powerful data and could lead to emergency use authorization.”

“So that puts you in the fall time: September, October, November is not unreasonable,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...on-as-september-chief-scientist-idUSKBN23H35S

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here