Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classical music.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I managed to get a grade 5 trumpet when at school as well.
I was advised not to start playing it as it would ruin my embouchure and effect my clarinet playing.
I am not very good at being told what I can and can't do so did it anyway.
I played in the brass band as well as the orchestra and never had a problem adapting.
I enjoyed playing it and last year after a huge break, I have bought one and am practicing with it.

I played trumpet when younger and even featured on an album.
Mind you it was only the South Wonston Primary School band and I was no older than 8 at the time.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I also like a bit of classical. A few features from my spotify play list for the commute home from London are.

Elgar Cello concerto - probably the most stirring piece of music I have heard.

Dvorak - serenade for strings in E. Op 22 4.larghetto.

Alexis french - modern young British composer/ pianist. His piece called bluebird is probably his most recognisable and is beautiful.

I giorni - ludovicio Einaudi again more modern but a lovely piece of music.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
I'm lucky enough to work for Radio 3 and have worked with orchestras for 30 years. Music in all forms is the root of good things isn't it? When we beat Palace later I'll wack something pretty loud on the AE1 Actives :smile:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For those looking to calm in these difficult times, the master of neo-classical and many a film score Max Richter sets you right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0890lj3

Also, don't forget the broadcast of the 8 hour opus 'Sleep' last night.

Max Richter says of the piece in today's context: "Five years ago I wrote SLEEP as an invitation to pause our busy lives for a moment. Now we are all facing an unexpected and involuntary pause. It is far from easy to adjust to this new normal, which shifts continuously, and brings anxiety and suffering to those we love and to ourselves. At such times the magical ability of creativity to elevate our days and to connect us is more important than ever, and I’m really happy that the EBU allows us to listen all together across the whole of Europe. Please enjoy this eight-hour place to rest.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06db5tv

SLEEP-825x320a.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some really beautiful playing on her first solo album Esja too.

Lol.... Literally have that album on now.

I was introduced to her as a big Matthew Halsall fan and his record label Godwana Records.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think I heard her on Mary Anne Hobbs initially.

Her contribution to the magnificent Víkingur Ólafsson 'Reflections' series was amazing!

View attachment 137417

Looking on the Godwana site, I see she is scheduled to be playing at Union Chapel in London in October.

That is a beautiful venue. As the name suggests, it's an old church. I saw Eugenio Bennato there many years ago. Brilliant concert!

P.S. I will check out that reflections series. Thanks. But I still can't listen to MAH :lol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Looking on the Godwana site, I see she is scheduled to be playing at Union Chapel in London in October.

That is a beautiful venue. As the name suggests, it's an old church. I saw Eugenio Bennato there many years ago. Brilliant concert!

P.S. I will check out that reflections series. Thanks. But I still can't listen to MAH :lol:

Cheers, hadn't seen that. Seems sold out right now but shan't give up!

In the meantime.....

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Since lockdown I have started to listen to Classic FM.

It is just so relaxing and I have now got alot on my phone that I listen too as well.

I would love to go to the Royal Albert Hall one time to see a performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here