Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classical music.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The closest I get to classical music is listening to something like Hyacinth House by The Doors which uses Adagio in G Minor.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Unusually for me, a couple of weeks ago I went to a concert at the Sheldonian in Oxford - present from my bro. What a venue for music. Uncomfortable seats - but right up close to the orchestra. It was a series of Beethoven 200th anniversary concerts - Piano Concerto No 3 and Symphony No 7. Not knowing them I listened a fair amount prior to the concert - but hearing played live was on another level. It was quite an experience.

Oh - and if you like a bit of opera - UpClose Opera are at Worthing Saturday night with Madame Butterfly. It's not the Royal Opera House but for £24 you will have a good night out.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I'm amazed to see the love for Classic FM on here, I think it's an awful station - they do keep playing the same thing over and over. Radio 3 is the way to go - it's the only music station I listen to - much more varied than Classic FM

Try Scala if you dont like Classic FM.....personally I prefer Classic FM but at least there is choice,,
https://planetradio.co.uk/scala-radio/

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Funk soul classics yeah

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I love a bit of classical. There is such a wide range.

If you're unsure about it, have a watch of this. The composer has used Freddie Mercury's tunes to make genuinely brilliant classica music. See if you can spot the originals.

The Queen Symphony by Tolga Kashif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm amazed to see the love for Classic FM on here, I think it's an awful station - they do keep playing the same thing over and over. Radio 3 is the way to go - it's the only music station I listen to - much more varied than Classic FM

Agree. Unlistenable.

I have a fair bit of Ludvig van on CD, some Stravinsky and some Mahler. I had similar on vinyl. All these are a bit shit now though (AAD CDs).

When I get around to it I will research the best recordings and update the collection. To be honest it must be more than 10 years since I listened to any of it, though.

One 'classical' I have no time for, that others drool over, is Mozart. Clever clever shite with no emotion, as you might expect from a child prodigy. Think Charlotte Church. Think Bonnie Langford.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agree. Unlistenable.

I have a fair bit of Ludvig van on CD, some Stravinsky and some Mahler. I had similar on vinyl. All these are a bit shit now though (AAD CDs).

When I get around to it I will research the best recordings and update the collection. To be honest it must be more than 10 years since I listened to any of it, though.

One 'classical' I have no time for, that others drool over, is Mozart. Clever clever shite with no emotion, as you might expect from a child prodigy. Think Charlotte Church. Think Bonnie Langford.
Mahler! I flippin love Mahler. So emotional. Dark, light. Intense, whimsical. Love it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My grandfather was a cellist in a couple of big orchestra's back in the day, and I remember being very little, being spellbound when he was practicing at home. He was always playing intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana on the gramophone and I always love hearing it. Was a very sharp dresser, sadly didnt rub off on me. Check the shoes out :lolol: A different age.

that's quite a photo.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My Dad ran the Music Library in Church Street in the 70s-90s (Cote Brassiere last time I was in town), so I grew up with it. I used to babysit for next door from when I was about 12, mainly so I could listen to their Bowie collection!

Still enjoy it, but veer towards CDs and Radio 3 more then Classic FM, as the adverts drive me nuts, and the same pieces come round. But it's different music for different occasions, last week a Mahler symphony was an excellent accompaniment to a drive to work right through the heart of the Lake District, with Marconi Union on the way back.

Personally I can't stand Classic FM for the same reason - the adverts - but also the sycophantic approach of most of the presenters. Much prefer Radio 3, where you will zlso find jazz and World Music and other things.

Bach, Beethoven, Bach, Sibelius, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Bach, Grieg, Vivaldi, Bach, Bernstein Bach and many others.... And did I mention Bach.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Classic FM pah. Wimps!

Radio 3 is for hard core classical music

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally I can't stand Classic FM for the same reason - the adverts - but also the sycophantic approach of most of the presenters. Much prefer Radio 3, where you will zlso find jazz and World Music and other things.

Bach, Beethoven, Bach, Sibelius, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Bach, Grieg, Vivaldi, Bach, Bernstein Bach and many others.... And did I mention Bach.

‘I’ll be Bach’............ Arnold Schwarnegger

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
As a yoof I was never into the genre of classical music, always the music of the time when growing up.
As now older, over the years I've appreciated listening to Classic FM, as I found it a great benefit when driving home from work, after a busy day and even more so when stuck in traffic jams for long period of times.
I've recently purchased Stephen Fry's Mythos Suite narration of the Greek mythology in music, its brilliant.

Any others into the classics :thumbsup:

Likewise - I was never into classical as a kid. Then I got Emerson Lake and Palmer’s Pictures at an Exhibition and wondered when Mussorgsky had produced his cover version of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here