Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classical music.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I always get a buzz in the North Stand when a decision finally goes are way and the fans sing Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus. That’s definitely my favourite piece of music.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Likewise - I was never into classical as a kid. Then I got Emerson Lake and Palmer’s Pictures at an Exhibition and wondered when Mussorgsky had produced his cover version of it!

I saw the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra do Pictures at an Exhibition a few years ago, and it made me wonder why ELP bothered.

Incidentally, I used to be able to see the playing fields of the School that I believe Keith Emerson went to when I was a kid in Worthing.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As a 15yr old, World Cup 1990 got me into the classical / opera stuff - thanks to the BBC & the Three Tenors. Listened to classical music ever since, and this is still one of my favourite ever pieces.
My wife and boys think Im really weird - but I listen to all sorts of music tbh. Country, Rock, Blues, Metal, Electronic....most things except the stuff my kids listen to! :lolol:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nothing to do with getting older. I used to sing in musical festivals in Brighton when I was aged 9-18.

I've always liked light opera like G&S, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Strauss, and what is known as popular classics. I have several cds of various classical pieces.
I have a very eclectic taste in music.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Rachmaninoff piano concerto no.2.
Absolutely beautiful.

No noooo, the Rach 3 in D minor, one of the hardest pieces of piano music to play (have you seen the 1996 film 'shine' with Geoffrey Rush?)

Still love the main chorus of Jupiter from Holst's the planets, if ever there was something that could replace our national anthem, for me this just makes me think proudly of England!

Chorus from 2:54-4:40

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Still love the main chorus of Jupiter from Holst's the planets, if ever there was something that could replace our national anthem, for me this just makes me think proudly of England!

Quite by accident whilst listening to The Planets, I also discovered the St Pauls Suite, and love this

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not quite your level, but as a teenager (late 70's) I got to Grade 5 on the trumpet whilst I played in the local scouts and guides marching band, and absolutely loved it. My biggest thing though was when I got selected for a National Scout and Guide orchestra, and we played a full on "Last Night of the Proms" style concert at Gillwell Park.

My biggest regret was that I wasn't quite good enough to join the forces as a musician which is what I really wanted to do. However you had to be at least grade 8 on your primary instrument, and t least grade 5 on a secondary, which wasn't allowed to be in the same family of instruments.

I managed to get a grade 5 trumpet when at school as well.
I was advised not to start playing it as it would ruin my embouchure and effect my clarinet playing.
I am not very good at being told what I can and can't do so did it anyway.
I played in the brass band as well as the orchestra and never had a problem adapting.
I enjoyed playing it and last year after a huge break, I have bought one and am practicing with it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I vow to thee my country, all earthly things above - yes, I quite agree, but suspect such patriotism would be anathema to many.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I find it incredible and love the way a few opening notes, a few bars/seconds of music can change my mood without me wishing it to be changed.
I'm sure the composers aim to bring out emotions but some of them must've been wonderfully tortured souls to know which exact notes to string together to effect people the way they do.
A modern piece here. So harrowing from the start. That then adds another kick in the feels just before the two minute mark. You might recognise it. Moving? I think so!
In my opinion no other genre of music can get the message across so well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here