Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classical music.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve always loved certain pieces of classical music. The NSC classical music thread contains a great selection. My favourites include:

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Williams
The Lark Ascending - Williams
Solveig’s Song - Grieg
Nimrod - Elgar
Adagio For Strings - Samuel Barber (no relation of Paul?)
The Watermill - Binge
Moldau - Smetana
New World Symphony - Dvorak
Hymn of the Cherubim - Tchaikovsky

Our pop, rock and even classical musical tastes are exactly the same!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our pop, rock and even classical musical tastes are exactly the same!

I think the underlying feature of many of my musical passions is a melody, also harmonies. That could be from the ancient choral music of Thomas Tallis, to modern synth pop and trance.

Beautiful vocals, often from females, also.

Obviously, you have great taste.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was classically trained and have passed a Grade 8 Clarinet playing from the Royal College of Music.
I have other grades with other instruments, but this is my highest achievement and I used to play in the Brighton Youth Orchestra.
Consequently I have always like the classics, my tastes have developed to include easy listening music and cinema soundtracks.
I would rather not listen to a full symphony, but broken up into pieces they are much more acceptable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I was classically trained and have passed a Grade 8 Clarinet playing from the Royal College of Music.
I have other grades with other instruments, but this is my highest achievement and I used to play in the Brighton Youth Orchestra.
Consequently I have always like the classics, my tastes have developed to include easy listening music and cinema soundtracks.
I would rather not listen to a full symphony, but broken up into pieces they are much more acceptable.

Not quite your level, but as a teenager (late 70's) I got to Grade 5 on the trumpet whilst I played in the local scouts and guides marching band, and absolutely loved it. My biggest thing though was when I got selected for a National Scout and Guide orchestra, and we played a full on "Last Night of the Proms" style concert at Gillwell Park.

My biggest regret was that I wasn't quite good enough to join the forces as a musician which is what I really wanted to do. However you had to be at least grade 8 on your primary instrument, and t least grade 5 on a secondary, which wasn't allowed to be in the same family of instruments.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Opera for me. I used to go all the time when I worked closer to London, you cannot beat a night out at Covent Garden a wonderful place to enjoy music. Everything from the popular classics, rather predictably la Traviata is my favourite and Ermonela Jaho's Violetta was just heartbreaking to watch. Also love me some Wagner and have been fortunate enough to have seen one complete Ring Cycle although my favourite production was a more traditional staging of Parsifal in Vienna.

it's a great art form that covers everything from heartbreak and despair, to brutal anger & violence as well as offering huge laughs too.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Like others I now enjoy Classic FM... As one gets older the musical taste broadens and while I still love the rock/blues music of my youth, there is a a time for calm classics. I only know the popular pieces of Beethoven, Mozart, Holst etc.

Tne thing that always put me off was the snooty stuffed shirt attitude of the orchestras and audiences . Thats why I like Nigel Kennedy and can enjoy Andre Rieu too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here