Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Games - The Best, The Worst and Inbetween

Middle aged newbie

Aug 4, 2019
When I was a kid, my old man had just two rules to cover my attendance at the Goldstone; never in the North and never anywhere v Palace.
Being grounded for a month after the Boxing Day massacre of ‘79 was well worth it!!!
That was the best, the worst was the 3-1 win at home in the December of last season - but to be fair I did have bronchitis!! I probably should have been at home in bed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
5 nil defeat at Selhurst just because we were absolutely tonked and then couldn't go home for ages.....the coppers just smirking at us. Nearly as bad was the play off debacle and Henry Hughton's leg breaker.......awful atmosphere and today I can still hear that noise of that awful tackle. Cant remember which away game it was but have never seen so many coins and rocks thrown between 2 sets of fans. Yes and it was rocks mostly from our fans sad to say, who somehow went to the back of the terrace and picked up bits of old breeze blocks to throw at the Palace fans. It was quite scary I have to admit. Going of on a tangent here can any one remember Michael Robinson getting hit by a bicycle cog thrown from The North STAND?

On to better memories, our recent 3 nil half time lead game......Yves best game for us by miles and also Andones goal..wow.

Mcshane's goal up there.....what an away day that was.

Leo's third goal and watching the Palace fans herded away from the ground.

If anyone doubts the rivalry between Brighton and Palace should have been to the above mentioned games......yes there has been a fair amount of dreary dross at times but usually these games get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck. Roll on Saturday.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
That 5-0 will haunt me forever.

At least we got out just before they locked everyone in.

Worst night ever, but picked up about £20 in coins thrown by the Croydon spazmos after being locked in.

Best days, Valentine day massacre, or the Andone goal whilst in Vegas in a bar full of Palace fans, epic, or even the McShane goal being followed by however many they allowed that day, chaos everywhere..

el punal

5 nil defeat at Selhurst just because we were absolutely tonked and then couldn't go home for ages.....the coppers just smirking at us. Nearly as bad was the play off debacle and Henry Hughton's leg breaker.......awful atmosphere and today I can still hear that noise of that awful tackle. Cant remember which away game it was but have never seen so many coins and rocks thrown between 2 sets of fans. Yes and it was rocks mostly from our fans sad to say, who somehow went to the back of the terrace and picked up bits of old breeze blocks to throw at the Palace fans. It was quite scary I have to admit. Going of on a tangent here can any one remember Michael Robinson getting hit by a bicycle cog thrown from The North STAND?

On to better memories, our recent 3 nil half time lead game......Yves best game for us by miles and also Andones goal..wow.

Mcshane's goal up there.....what an away day that was.

Leo's third goal and watching the Palace fans herded away from the ground.

If anyone doubts the rivalry between Brighton and Palace should have been to the above mentioned games......yes there has been a fair amount of dreary dross at times but usually these games get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck. Roll on Saturday.

I remember Michael Robinson going down like a sack of spuds but can’t remember the opposition. Some nutter in the North Stand (well, terrace, there was no roof then) decided he was going to take out the away goalie when we were attacking. Launched his missile, missed the keeper, and hit our Robbo instead. What a twunt!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Best 3-0 Spanish Dave and Leo double.
An interesting “breakfast” at the railway bell due to Sunday licensing laws

Worst
Play off semi final, just terrible

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Me too. Massive relief that.

Same here. Never been back since. Worst football day out ever!!!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
0-5 Away worst, I had to spend the evening with two Palace fans as well.

2-1 last year with Knockaert's goal right in front of us, as good as Spanish Dave's free kick in the 3-0 win.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
The best = Vince Hilaire scoring twice in our Championship season 78/79. My first match, and I was hooked.

The best = That playoff 2nd leg.

The worst - any one of numerous disappointing 3-0 defeats.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
3d08fce98e3372c1b7dee3c898faccba.jpg

The best!

5-0 away the worst!

Spanish Dave’s free kick and last seasons solo run and goal by Andone were bloody fantastic too!!!

My only memory being 11 with my Dad on the East Terrace in ‘79 was not really the match but just watching fights breaking out in the North the whole match!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Best = Play off but the 1.3 win that was BHA first league loss at the Amex was pretty good to.
Worst = Mcshane goal. I came back from a holiday in Cyprus to watch that then flew back out the next morning. Mrs Loz was not impressed.
Scariest = Most games in the late 70s...weeks before everyone get excited and singing anti Brighton songs.

I noted only 1 anti Brighton song sung on Saturday and that was briefly, it was as though no one really cared about it !!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Given my relative youth (85 baby) my options are slightly limited due to them lording it in the big leagues whilst we knocked around lower down.

The 5-0 and the Play-off Semi will always be painful, but they are dampened somewhat by our decent record recently against them.

My favourite will always the St Patricks Day MASSACRE. God we made them look shit, especially as they weren't at the time and we were off the back of 2 losses.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The best , the 5 nil and you can’t **** off one and the play off one .
The worst ? Last seasons 1-2 at ours was gutting but the coin shower from the north stand into the corner section at the goldstone took some beating.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Worst - the play off game without a doubt. I still don’t think I’ve gotten over it.

Best - Paul McShane. Unexpected, felt like we were a massive underdog, night game, great atmosphere and we hadn’t beaten them for something like 18 years. Went absolutely nuts when the goal went in. That was a really special night, didn’t turn up for work the next day needless to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here