Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Games - The Best, The Worst and Inbetween

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Box Day 1980 as a nipper, 3-2 at the Goldstone. After that never looked back. My word there's been highs and lows since against the original CPFC, their 2nd coming and finally CPFC2010

Last edited:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
BEST: 3-0 Boxing day 1979.. east terrace, 8 years old with my dad, what a feeling!

WORST: 0-5 Andy fkn Johnson, the slap headed prick

INBETWEEN: 3-2 to them AET, simod cup (?), nineties sometime (i think) first palace win in sussex for literally decades

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Perhaps somebody can remind me of years of following games

2nd replay at Stanford Bridge.. . Evening game and we went up after work Arrived 10 mins late. Couldnt get further forward then top of terrace and hardly saw a thing. Huge crowd of think 55k ish
Next one is away game. We were battered for 90mins and looked like stealing a draw. That was until Wardy scored winner in injury time from what seemed like our only attack.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I hated that play-off second leg. I still get annoyed about it now and still think Poyet threw that match (however unreasonable that assumption may be). We should have won the away leg but Poyet picked the wrong team, too many players were dead on their feet, Barnes should have started etc etc.

Poyet's mind was clearly elsewhere and his presser afterward was the latest in a few middle fingers he was starting to show to the club. Then came the gross misconduct, the "fired on TV" nonsense, the "poogate" lies. Eurgh, everything about that match. Just eurgh.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some really good ones that I managed to attend

McShane 78 mins at Selhurst
Valentin's Day Massacre
Taking 6 points off of them last season (I'll always love Hughton for that)

Worst
5-0 at Selhurst.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That handicap won't improve itself. Saturday morning you know what to do :wink:

I was very tempted, as I am now 12.4 and one more round over par, I get to 12.5 and it goes up to 13 and silver divi, so not playing against our scratch players in the gold!

With no parking around the ground too, you can’t get there late as the P&R busses stop nearing KO from Mill Hill...if they carried on going so I could get there at about 12:45 I would play golf first as it’s the medal this weekend.

el punal

Perhaps somebody can remind me of years of following games

2nd replay at Stanford Bridge.. . Evening game and we went up after work Arrived 10 mins late. Couldnt get further forward then top of terrace and hardly saw a thing. Huge crowd of think 55k ish
Next one is away game. We were battered for 90mins and looked like stealing a draw. That was until Wardy scored winner in injury time from what seemed like our only attack.

I think you’re a bit confused here. Yes, we played at the Bridge in front of nearly 55,000 but that was an FA Cup replay against Chelsea in February 1967. We lost 4-0. The second replay against Palace was December 1976 and the crowd was 14,000+ , the majority Albion fans. This, after the first two games drew crowds of 29,000 and 28,000.

I don’t recall any Palace away game where we won 1-0 with Wardy playing. Neil Martin scored a first minute goal when we won 1-0 back in 1975. I missed it as we were stuck in traffic trying to get to the game.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Was in with the Palace fans that night, hard not to smile. They murdered us for 89 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The penalty fest was my last away Palace game, definitely memorable for the wrong reasons!

Last season was amazing, the 3.0 lead then watching Wilfy wilt due to merciless stick in the 2nd half

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
If you were alive in 11 Feb 1950 you would have seen us lose 6-0 ,but since the war we have won 31 ,lost 19 and drawn 21 . The worst would be the semi -final play off 0-2 although the St Patrick day 3-0 was a bit of revenge .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Best Sammy Morgan’s two goals in 75/76.
Worst play off defeat.

Obviously enjoyed the St Patrick’s day massacre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Worst has to be the 5-0 drubbing where they kept us in then corralled us to the station whether you wanted to go or not

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Worst, and I can’t remember the year it must have been about 77-78 ish, we lost 3-1 up there, their star player was Vince Hilaire.
My first away game at Selhurst, and I got my nose broken by a Palace coward.
Blood all over my new Levi jacket, and nearly nicked as well.

Best , so many to choose from, I’ve lived every time we’ve beaten them . Sammy Morgan’s double, 3-0 on Boxing Day, McShane,
St Paddy’s Day massacre , last seasons double, especially the Amex game, 3-1 with 10 men.

The indifferent, this season’s draw up there, battered them for 70 minutes, only one goal, then Mr Tumble stayed on his feet for the only time on the night, and scored. We should have had a penalty in the first half as well.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Struggling with the best : recent wins were great, last season's win was a great day, won with a truly great goal. Right up there for me along with the wins at the Amex last season and the St Paddy's Day game.
The worst is easy for me : THAT night, the Play-Off semi-final. Everything about it was wrong.. my journey there was a tense drive from Cambridge, arrived to the sound of clackers and just a weird atmosphere.. cant describe it any other way.. The win they got in our 1st season at the Amex was pretty horrible too - the first and only time I left a game without clapping the players off - when GM scored in front of the North Stand - couldn't bear it!

The penalty-fest was just ridiculous. I came away relieved that we hadn't been hammered (we lost but felt like it should have been much worse!), outraged at the referee (of course) and have since watched it back to realise that the only dodgy penalty was the one that we were awarded!! very funny looking back..

el punal

Worst, and I can’t remember the year it must have been about 77-78 ish, we lost 3-1 up there, their star player was Vince Hilaire.
My first away game at Selhurst, and I got my nose broken by a Palace coward.
Blood all over my new Levi jacket, and nearly nicked as well.

Best , so many to choose from, I’ve lived every time we’ve beaten them . Sammy Morgan’s double, 3-0 on Boxing Day, McShane,
St Paddy’s Day massacre , last seasons double, especially the Amex game, 3-1 with 10 men.

The indifferent, this season’s draw up there, battered them for 70 minutes, only one goal, then Mr Tumble stayed on his feet for the only time on the night, and scored. We should have had a penalty in the first half as well.

The 3-1 game was October 7th 1978, the day before my birthday! Where we were in the crowd, in the terrace bit of the main stand, were some Palace tw*ts wearing T-shirts with ‘Mullery’s Muppets’ on them. Talking of muppets John Burridge then came on to the pitch doing his hand stands and other acrobatic shittery. You’re right about Vince Hilaire though, he always played well against us and someone I admired, unlike the rest of the clowns in the Palace side.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think you’re a bit confused here. Yes, we played at the Bridge in front of nearly 55,000 but that was an FA Cup replay against Chelsea in February 1967. We lost 4-0. The second replay against Palace was December 1976 and the crowd was 14,000+ , the majority Albion fans. This, after the first two games drew crowds of 29,000 and 28,000.

I don’t recall any Palace away game where we won 1-0 with Wardy playing. Neil Martin scored a first minute goal when we won 1-0 back in 1975. I missed it as we were stuck in traffic trying to get to the game.

Thank you Sorry memory going. Couldnt believe were 55k at Chelsea replay

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The 3-1 game was October 7th 1978, the day before my birthday! Where we were in the crowd, in the terrace bit of the main stand, were some Palace tw*ts wearing T-shirts with ‘Mullery’s Muppets’ on them. Talking of muppets John Burridge then came on to the pitch doing his hand stands and other acrobatic shittery. You’re right about Vince Hilaire though, he always played well against us and someone I admired, unlike the rest of the clowns in the Palace side.

I went up on a coach from the the Ham Hotel in Worthing, a salubrious little boozer at that time (ahem)
One of the fellas on the coach had a sheet size banner with” Vince Hilaire walks on water, everyone knows dogshit floats” written on it.

He was nicked within 5 minutes of getting to the ground.:ffsparr::smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here