Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If Carlsberg did threads on NSC...

This is start of something big. We shall look in years to come at this thread, like the Award Winning Snow and Infinite Jukebox ones! It’s a brilliant idea, I’m in and getting fitter starting now. I shall report back in a fortnight as to how getting on and take inspiration from others whilst adding any of my new found wisdom that may benefit others similarly.

Come on lads and lasses, we can do this - Football Fans Utd shall never be defeated!!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Thanks for this. Could be a huge help. The food over here is shocking and have put on a lot of weight. Will read the rest of the thread and update next week but good for inspiration so far.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think it is also important not to worry too much about life getting in the way of your new eating and exercise habits, it is not a problem to miss the occasional bit of exercise - for instance the recent storms have caused several of us who are training for the Brighton Marathon to miss our long runs - you just pick up again as soon as you can, and don't try to make up for the session you missed.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
An ex-colleague did the following to lose weight and swears by it.
She had tried a number of diets all of which lost weight rapidly but when she fell off the wagon she just put it back on again.
I’m not sure where she found out about this but she decided to lose the weight (a couple of stone) over 12-18 months rather than 12 weeks. She cut back slightly on calorific intake, upped walking and also walking up and down stairs at work (4 flights) 2 or 3 times a day. The weight eventually came of and has staid off.
The one other benefit was that she wasn’t continuously thinking about food.

I can’t run due to a partial knee replacement and so took up rowing. Great way to keep fit and doesn’t screw up your joints. Part of the training is using a rowing machine which if I’m honest is just ****ing horrible when used in conjunction with rowing training regimes. however, if you want a piece of equipment that exercises the whole body, builds muscle and burns calories then this is kit for you.

I’m fortunate in being a skinny ******* but I hope this is of use. Best of luck to all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A rowing machine is an invention with the sole purpose of proving the proposition 'if it isn't hurting, it isn't working'! A study in this reported month's Runner's World rated the Treadmill as 'the best' bit of kit (out of 5) for burning calories (but the idiots didn't include the rower in their study).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well ,that's gone well.

Fasting - tick
Under 1,500 cals - tick (1,362)
10,000 steps - tick (11,338)
No booze - tick

In a week or so I'm going to add sleep to this, I'm late going to bed and early up. I'm out of bed as soon or before the alarm goes off so may not feel I need more sleep but a lot of people say 7+ hours is important, I get around 6, I'm also hoping as I up the exercise I'll need more rest?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not sure I can contribute much to the getting fit part but those of you looking to count steps might find this useful. If that is all you want to do, you don't need an expensive Fitbit - I have had Mi bands for a few years now and they are a very good basic fitness tracker - with the bonus that they can go weeks or months between charges if you just use as a watch/step counter. They are around £20 over here or cheaper if you delve into the Chinese sites.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Wristband-activity-Wireless-Elastomer/dp/B07G7MBP49

There are cheaper ones but not sure how good they are - the Mi band has kept accuracy with my phone and is a nice unobtrusive watch if you don't want to buy an expensive one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couldn't see this basic level of information anywhere on the thread so I googled it:

'Ten thousand steps equates to about eight kilometres, or an hour and 40 minutes walking, depending on your stride length and walking speed. But that doesn't mean you have to do it all in one walk'

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Great thread, whilst everyone is different a few things that I do that have helped. Have a defined period of time that you don't eat, for me that is generally 8pm till midday. Plan out in advance when you will train and be accountable for it. Don't kill yourself when starting out in the gym/running. Have a plan and stick to it. Lots of people (I used to be like it) go to the gym do the same exercises with the same weight/resistance and don't get the results they expect.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Couldn't see this basic level of information anywhere on the thread so I googled it:

'Ten thousand steps equates to about eight kilometres, or an hour and 40 minutes walking, depending on your stride length and walking speed. But that doesn't mean you have to do it all in one walk'

Yeah, that equates to the 100 steps per minute that I mentioned above somewhere.

When you're at home, just get up every half hour and walk round the house for 5 minutes. As someone else mentioned. If you can, incorporate the stairs to up the intensity a bit and raise your heart rate.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Still playing football, as per my recent thread. I find I can lose weight quickly but put it on too... so I need to challenge myself and push on - 39 next week :/ at just under 11 stone I’m not a ‘fat dad’ but refuse to become one, so I’ll continue swimming and playing football as much as life allows !!

We’ve taken a decision as a family to reduce meat consumption to one or two meals a week, we’ve never been huge meat eaters but I could no longer ignore the facts of the meat industry and it’s blatant unsustainable future and not feel rather lamentable in front of my kids.

I want to live and live well, not be an NHS burden, a burden on my family and to try to avoid becoming an old man way before my time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just a gentle note of encouragement, that I'm sticking here for myself as much as anyone;

There will be days where you wonder why you're doing this. Whether it's worth it.
There will be times that you swear you're putting the work in, but not seeing the scales budge.
Times when you're tempted back into old habits, and sometimes you succumb to those.
Days when you really don't fancy getting out for a jog in the wind and the rain, and evenings when you really fancy another pint, or some chocolate/a bag of crisps.
It can be insanely hard and frustrating to mess up, and feeling like every day is day one. Start again. Again and again and again. I've been here so many times.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Keep putting it in, keep showing up, every day. It'll be worth it.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A rowing machine is an invention with the sole purpose of proving the proposition 'if it isn't hurting, it isn't working'! A study in this reported month's Runner's World rated the Treadmill as 'the best' bit of kit (out of 5) for burning calories (but the idiots didn't include the rower in their study).

I would far prefer a treadmill to an ergo (rowing machine) any day of the week. if there is a nastier, more tortuous price of gym equipment then I have yet to meet it.
We have one in the house, I am due to use it this evening (tuesdays and Thursdays), I’m already hoping someone accidentally trips me up and I twist something so I have an excuse not to use it .....

I ****ing hate ergo’s the nasty pieces of shit!!!!!!

Saying all of that. If you want something to burn calories it’ll do the job in spades!!!

weymouthmick

Mar 14, 2014
2 years ago I paid £25 for a second hand rower the first time I used it I did 2 mins 15 secs before I felt my legs, the next day I did 3 mins then 4 then 5 etc working on the theory that it's only a minute more than yesterday, after getting up to 50 mins daily I cut down to 30 minutes a day. After I have traveled 125 miles (my house to the amex) I reward myself with a match ticket and all that goes with it. On a Sunday I follow a set routine and try to do just 1 more pull than last week, I weigh myself and go for a "few" pints if I have lots weight I have 1 more if I have put on I have 1 less more reward. Doing this I have lost 12kg and 8 inches off my belly

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I would far prefer a treadmill to an ergo (rowing machine) any day of the week. if there is a nastier, more tortuous price of gym equipment then I have yet to meet it.
We have one in the house, I am due to use it this evening (tuesdays and Thursdays), I’m already hoping someone accidentally trips me up and I twist something so I have an excuse not to use it .....

Saying all of that. If you want something to burn calories it’ll do the job in spades!!!

It's funny. I tend to think that we gravitate towards the exercises that we feel suit us best. So my own fitness regime is a mixture of running (outdoor) and body weight things like press-ups and pull-ups. Why? Because I seem to 'do well' at these things. But counter-intuitively I think I'd make more progress if I did things I'm crap at like swimming and rowing. This is because I'd be so inefficient that the hard work required would almost require me to push myself harder.
In other words, we (I can't be the only one) tend to gravitate towards a kind of exercise comfort zone (even my running these days barely goes beyond 5k, because 5k is what I'm relatively good at).
If I'm not talking complete bollox (it has been known) the moral of the story is that you should stick to your horrific ergo workouts! (I did once - just once - get below the relatively modest target of 8 minutes (7.59) for 500 metres on the Concept 2 erg and it made me feel so awful I don't think I ever climbed on one again.)

weymouthmick

Mar 14, 2014
Exercise shouldn't hurt just take small steps, if you have done it once you can do it again, I don't think I could go to a gym but I can strip down to my boxers put on an episode of mythbusters and do a few minutes at home rather than do a gym class blow out my arse after 5 minutes and Never go again, but if it works for you do it. I have just started using my wife's cross trainer machine only 10 minutes on baby level but I will improve. Good luck to you all and if you're thinking it do it

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
happy-jump-silhouette-7.png

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's funny. I tend to think that we gravitate towards the exercises that we feel suit us best. So my own fitness regime is a mixture of running (outdoor) and body weight things like press-ups and pull-ups. Why? Because I seem to 'do well' at these things. But counter-intuitively I think I'd make more progress if I did things I'm crap at like swimming and rowing. This is because I'd be so inefficient that the hard work required would almost require me to push myself harder.
In other words, we (I can't be the only one) tend to gravitate towards a kind of exercise comfort zone (even my running these days barely goes beyond 5k, because 5k is what I'm relatively good at).
If I'm not talking complete bollox (it has been known) the moral of the story is that you should stick to your horrific ergo workouts! (I did once - just once - get below the relatively modest target of 8 minutes (7.59) for 500 metres on the Concept 2 erg and it made me feel so awful I don't think I ever climbed on one again.)

I use the ergo as I row ( I should point out that I am a novice sculler) rather than to lose weight. I’m just over 6’ 1” and weigh 72kg so if anything I’m on the light side. I would like to be 5kg heavier but no matter what I do my weight doesn’t change.

My last ergo was 5k with 2:06.8/500m split @22 strokes per minute. I’m 56 so not bad but I know older and more experienced rowers who are much quicker.

I tried a quick 2k this evening and blew up after 1300m ...... my last 2k was 2:03.5/500m @24 strokes per minute. I haven’t gone under 8minutes since having a knee partial knee replacement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree re the rowing machine. I used to use a personal trainer for core and intervals and he loved it. His favourite beasting was 3 x 500m ‘as fast as you can’ with 2 mins between intervals. It was horrific......even though each one was only about 1.40-1.45. First 20 seconds ok, then it got progressively nastier until I was basically at VT for the last 30 seconds of each one.

Think you’re right about tendencies- haven’t gone near a an ergo since I stopped using the personal trainer guy [emoji23][emoji23]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I was struggling with my Achilles last month, I started doing some HIIT sessions at home.

There are zillions on YouTube to choose from. I tended to use The Body Coach (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ) but use whatever you like the look of.

Fire one up on the TV and 15-20 minutes is more than enough to work up a really good sweat and really get your heart rate up. The aches and pains I got afterwards really illustrated how out of shape most of my body is. My legs can churn out the miles walking and running, but the rest of my body does very little.

I've slackened off now that I'm running again, but I need to re-introduce these sessions again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here