Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Completely empathise with this. My firstborn turned up almost exactly 2 years ago, and for the first 18 months of it I felt like I had no time, energy or motivation to get out there. I see part of my motivation as wanting to set a good example for him. I hope you find the motivation/time/energy too.

I feel like we’re in a strong enough routine that I can probably afford myself a couple of late evenings a week to go for a jog which will do me the world of good. I fully agree with your sentiments of setting a good example, a very close friend of mine had a moment of shame when he took his daughter swimming, he felt embarrassed on her behalf as his weight had rocketed, he drew motivation and this was his turnaround in one year...
C4B805E6-1C33-467A-8385-993B014046D4.jpeg

Need to draw inspiration from him.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stick with it........and then get to parkrun - the most inclusive, encouraging event you can do as a runner (whether total beginner or speed merchant) IMO. And it's free !

... and there you have nailed it, if I went to ParkRun and say did 45-50 mins I'd be dissapointed but it'd get me off my @rse training and I'd improve that week-on-week, but I need to get some basic fitness first, I think I may re-do the C25K and also start the ParkRun a little earlier, at say Week Six but following the C25K plan until I hit the end of the App.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
... and there you have nailed it, if I went to ParkRun and say did 45-50 mins I'd be dissapointed but it'd get me off my @rse training and I'd improve that week-on-week, but I need to get some basic fitness first, I think I may re-do the C25K and also start the ParkRun a little earlier, at say Week Six but following the C25K plan until I hit the end of the App.

Good plan - you can 'C25k' at parkrun - perfectly ok to jog/walk it. At 45 mins you're unlikely to be right at the back anyway (doesn't matter if you are)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wednesday nights, 18.20 onward, Coral Health and Fitness Squash Club Night. Non members welcome, all abilities. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If anyone is interested in getting started with jogging/running but doesn't know where to start, the 'Couch to 5k' programme is fantastic - it's aimed at total non-runners and gets you started in a very manageable and controlled way. Link below which explains how it works, and there are apps available that support the programme which essentially act like a personal trainer, along with various discussion forums etc. Highly recommended.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/

I second this. I use it primarily in the gym as part of my routine and i've never been anything like a runner (i used to be good at 100/200m at school but nothing 'long') and this has helped me get my stamina up for eventually doing a 5k.

This thread will be useful to me. I'm not thin, but i'm not 'fat' either; i used to swim a lot when I was younger and always loved sports so I guess you can say i'm...stocky? Chunky? Whatever the word to use for someone that isn't full of lard but could still gain to lose a few and tone up a lot.

My issue is time and enthusiasm; the big two. Since changing jobs from one that's fairly active to one that's entirely sedentary i've noticed it has affected my weight a lot, and even though I do try to eat as healthy as possible (especially at work) i still don't have the energy to hit the gym as much as i should. I want to get in shape but i struggle.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I’m currently in fairly bad shape, I know what I need to do about it, but I’m just really struggling to get going. I used to play football 2-3 times a week, squash or badminton once a week, I’d lift weights and could run 10k with no hesitations, I’d also maintain a healthy diet at the same time, I was never slim but I certainly didn’t wobble as much as I do now. All of this came to a very sudden halt when my little boy was born, and since then I simply struggle to find the find the time to do any exercise, I think I’ve been jogging twice in 2 years, and as such my diet goes out of the window, almost like I punish myself. I’ve got a couple of personal reasons why I’d like to get myself sorted but I just need to light a fire under my ass and force some time.

Walk wherever you can. Can you fit it in the commute? It would be an easy start and with spring coming up it's a good opportunity to build it in.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Running is great, but requires a decent amount of will power at the start, and is very injury prone.

Don’t underestimate walking, especially on an incline. Since I’ve started with this a few times a week I’ve seen more progress than ever with running, and im yet to get injured. Lifting weights is also super beneficial. You can’t outrun a bad diet, but lifting weights can really turn your body into a fat burner, given the bodies natural favouring of muscle to fat. If you struggle with cutting down calories, lifting weights is, not only in my opinion but most recent research, the most effective route to take.

More important than anything, however, is doing something which is sustainable and that you enjoy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running is great, but requires a decent amount of will power at the start, and is very injury prone.

Don’t underestimate walking, especially on an incline. Since I’ve started with this a few times a week I’ve seen more progress than ever with running, and im yet to get injured. Lifting weights is also super beneficial. You can’t outrun a bad diet, but lifting weights can really turn your body into a fat burner, given the bodies natural favouring of muscle to fat. If you struggle with cutting down calories, lifting weights is, not only in my opinion but most recent research, the most effective route to take.

More important than anything, however, is doing something which is sustainable and that you enjoy.

This is the key bit - it shouldn't feel like a chore.......

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Great thread and I'll be following with interest having just got back to some kind of fitness routine, mainly to combat stress and anxiety.

I did a marathon, half marathon and a good few 5 and 10ks years ago but, while I thought I would one day come to enjoy running, I never did.

Now, after a spell doing not much at all, other than the odd game of footy, I took the plunge and did a Parkrun on Saturday which really underlined how out of condition I have become. Took me 35mins to do the 5k. I'm 46.

I've now signed up to the bootcamp-style outdoor fitness thing I used to do a few years back in full determination to get myself feeling happier and healthier again.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The main reason I got into cycling is simply that it fits into my daily routine without eating into my time with the wife and kids after work. Luckily I'm able to cycle my commute. So I'd say my advice would be to try and find something that isn't a pain in the arse to get to / from and that doesn't wipe out an afternoon, and you're more likely to stick with it. I've never done Park Run but quite like the idea - again it's just a case of actually carving out the time on a Saturday morning.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A good friend of mine is getting married in May, I'm honoured to have been chosen as a co-Bestman and we're going suit fitting over the weekend. I've been running an average of 35 miles a week for the last 9 months, I've lost a couple of inches around the waist and I'm in the shape of my life. On the contrary, the groom has gone the other way this year so far. He's a keen driver and has to drive about 50 miles round trip each day just commuting. Finding the time to exercise has evaded him this year and he said to me yesterday that he's disappointed he'll be a blimp on the day and I'll be standing right beside him to really add contrast. He quoted my weekly mileage and I didn't even think he would have known, because it's not something we talk about because he's got no interest in it. But he's seen Facebook posts and whatnot and that has played a part in preventing him taking the first step toward his own fitness. I really think social media is such a mind**** - even I often find myself looking through my Strava feed and getting run-envy when I see people going out every day at 6am to get some pre-work miles in. I, on the other hand, struggle to get out of bed before 9am!

My struggle is mental, rather than physical. The mental side is more important than the physical in my opinion. If you get your mindset right, you won't struggle to get up early and walk to work on a nice day. You won't struggle to want to hit the gym, or get an exercise bike at home, or get out for a jog. Your diet will improve if you really want it to and you're in the right state of mind - you can do anything.

Everyone is welcome in the running thread, we all do parkrun on a weekly basis and we're all more than happy to provide advice for anyone starting out - we all go out for our first run once, right! And we know plenty of good routes over the Downs, if you want to get out for a stroll - we have knowledge, don't be afraid to ask. :thumbsup:

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Man V Fat football is good as well. It helped me lose weight as I did not want to let the team down by putting on weight and scoring an own goal. Their is one at Sussex uni.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is the key bit - it shouldn't feel like a chore.......

Absolutely - it is possible to lose weight and not be miserable the whole time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't imagine that you don't have time for exercise, I have been known to watch telly whilst whirring away on our exercise bike. One 45 minute program is good enough.

Yup.

Case in point my lunch break just now. Usually I'd just sit and watch some netflix show with headphones on in the lunchroom. Just did an hour long walk with a podcast. Grand it was, done most of my 10,000 steps in one go.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Walk, walk and walk. Not only is it great for fitness but it is great for metal clarity, a key component of motivation. I’m lucky enough to live next to a massive forest with great walking paths. Most mornings I try and get an hour or so walk done. So helpful.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Walk wherever you can. Can you fit it in the commute? It would be an easy start and with spring coming up it's a good opportunity to build it in.

Unfortunately not, I drive for a living so my job starts on my driveway :(

As others have mentioned, I love sport and exercise, it’s the time restraints that are my stumbling block. I leave for work at 7am, arrive home between 6-7pm, feed, bath and put my son to bed and is suddenly 9pm and I’m goosed. That’s my 1 hour of downtime in a day and I really need to make the most of it. Hopefully this thread will help, reading other’s stories and routines should serve as motivation, not that I need any more to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here