Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Today

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
One person disagrees strongly with that last bit - Chris Waddle.

In an interview on 5live at about 5.45 today, he was very clear that we’re no better than the company of Norwich, West Ham and Villa. In fact he said those have something (positive) about them that we lack. We deserve to be in the mix and will be until the end of the season.

He really is totally unimpressed with our football.

Chris Waddle is accurate about us as his penalty against Germany in 1990

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s not wrong. It’s fact! He wouldn’t be a pundit otherwise. He has creditability regardless of what you think, largely because of his career in the game. That’s why he’s in the job. And many others aren’t.

I didn’t appointment him, so no it’s not my opinion he has credibility. Perhaps for the simple out there you have to add the word ‘more’ in front for them to understand why an ex pro at the highest level plus 20 years punditry might be more worth listening to above ‘twitter man’ but even then I think perhaps not. Twitter or troll, we live in an age where people prefer to entrench not enlighten their views. As you’re demonstrating, so thank you. :thumbsup:

This is just not how "facts" work.

Just because you find him credible doesnt mean he objectively is by some weird law of nature. Its just your opinion. That someone shared your opinion and hired him as a pundit doesnt change that, because its just the opinion of that person. Not some "fact".

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Wow!! you've surveyed half of our fan base!! why wasn't I asked??? Oh I must be in the slow half!!! Slow but sure!!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Did we? Did we make both keepers save shot after shot? That’s what I meant by peppering. I don’t recall us doing that and therefore don’t get your post at all. I recall we did play very well, very entertaining and felt we could have won on possession and general play (less so against Villa, because we mostly played with ten men). But we didn’t. Same frustrating theme running through several successive games at the time.

You don't have to pepper a goal to be 'all over' a team. But creating chances that we should have scored is the same thing. I take your point
- but peppering a goal doesn't guarantee success any more than creation of chances.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The fans were excellent , very typically Brightonesque especially the bloke who spent the entire second half with his trousers on back to front , not seen that one before , well played sir , half time must have been fun and fascinating :lolol:

He wasn't even drunk which made it more confusing, still each to their own I say, bravo.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
It’s not wrong. It’s fact! He wouldn’t be a pundit otherwise. He has creditability regardless of what you think, largely because of his career in the game. That’s why he’s in the job. And many others aren’t.

He is a pundit because he reached the higher levels as a player, not because he has credibility. If his knowledge of football is so awesome why did he never make it in management/coaching?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Positives

A point on the board
Dunk isn't broken for the rest of the season

All our creative players were on the bench so should be fighting fit and champing at the bit to tear Palarse a new one next weekend.

tWaddle and Hoddle are both twunts, must Ben the Spuds connection.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Big positive for me was the fight from the players that was a real bodies on the line performance and we need that spirit to stay up.

Compare that to villa and Newcastle who lacked any real fight. I would be more worried if I supported them and Bournemouth who the luck has ran out for

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The problem with Waddle on this, for those of us who heard his full bitching about us pre and post match, is that he really thinks we’re just another Pulis’s Stoke or Allardyce’s Bolton. Killing the sport, with no redeeming features.

For much of this season we’ve been far from that, winning the praise of neutrals.

He appears to be a student of the game he loves, but has he got the memory of a sieve in forgetting all those games (win, lose or draw) where we played the game the way he likes?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Had a good Fri/Sat ,good point and fantastic backing from our supporters. Thats about it. Sheffield had 5/6 very good chances and should have won game easily. Aimless long balls throughout with once again never looking like creating from open play. Still dont understand selection . Shelotto just like a headless chicken and Burn who is poor as a full back but looked even more out of place as a wing back. Such lack of composure by our wide players. Mooy the clubs most creative midfielder again started out wide. At least Potter said we looked better in 2nd half when he put him more central. Why didnt he start him there ? Can only presume Murray selected to help defend set plays because contributes nothing up front. He may of course contribute more if wing backs able to cross ball.
Sheffield fielding same team sums it up. When fit apart from Ryan,Dunk Webster,Stephens and Propper nobody has clue what side will be so how can we expect consistency. Does manager use a hat. Looking ahead I hope its not going to be Shelotto and Webster marking Zaha. Montoya didnt do bad job last time but maybe not his turn.
Sorry to say all other teams at bottom look far more likely to create then we do at moment. What happened to days when we were creating loads of chances
We are all hopeful but have to start winning. Lets have some consistency with selection and pick following until end of season Ryan, Montoya/Lampty Dunk Barnardo Propper Mooy Mac Maupay and Trossard

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The problem with Waddle on this, for those of us who heard his full bitching about us pre and post match, is that he really thinks we’re just another Pulis’s Stoke or Allardyce’s Bolton. Killing the sport, with no redeeming features.

For much of this season we’ve been far from that, winning the praise of neutrals.

He appears to be a student of the game he loves, but has he got the memory of a sieve in forgetting all those games (win, lose or draw) where we played the game the way he likes?

As he feels so strongly maybe he should try being a manager, he’s a **** imo :shrug:

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
That’s what gives him credibility.

Why??? it is still only an opinion. There are plenty of players that have reached the same level that have little to no credibility. As with every opinion it is created on perception, previous experience and a generous amount of emotion!!
Psychological experiments have proven that the greater the emotion the lower the rationality. Perhaps Chris Waddle has an increased emotional attachment to Newcastle and therefore his opinions about a competitor may be tarnished.
Either way take it or leave it, I prefer to leave it.

Lush

Mods' Pet
We have strength in depth.
Balloons!
Away support back on form but a lot of angry shouting at the players between their goal and ours.
Schelotto
Duffy’s many headed clearances.
Hard fought point rather than ‘having to take the positives’

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Had a good Fri/Sat ,good point and fantastic backing from our supporters. Thats about it. Sheffield had 5/6 very good chances and should have won game easily. Aimless long balls throughout with once again never looking like creating from open play. Still dont understand selection . Shelotto just like a headless chicken and Burn who is poor as a full back but looked even more out of place as a wing back. Such lack of composure by our wide players. Mooy the clubs most creative midfielder again started out wide. At least Potter said we looked better in 2nd half when he put him more central. Why didnt he start him there ? Can only presume Murray selected to help defend set plays because contributes nothing up front. He may of course contribute more if wing backs able to cross ball.
Sheffield fielding same team sums it up. When fit apart from Ryan,Dunk Webster,Stephens and Propper nobody has clue what side will be so how can we expect consistency. Does manager use a hat. Looking ahead I hope its not going to be Shelotto and Webster marking Zaha. Montoya didnt do bad job last time but maybe not his turn.
Sorry to say all other teams at bottom look far more likely to create then we do at moment. What happened to days when we were creating loads of chances
We are all hopeful but have to start winning. Lets have some consistency with selection and pick following until end of season Ryan, Montoya/Lampty Dunk Barnardo Propper Mooy Mac Maupay and Trossard

Montoya no thanks, awful defender.

Bernardo yes please, rarely lets us down. Alzate should be a starter too.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A bad day all round obviously.
But we were by far the better side, Palace did what they do every week home and away whoever they are playing.
They really are extremely poor.
That Dunk header that hit Maupay was the stuff of footballing gods.
You can't get away with missing all those chances though, but at least we created them.
But at the end of the day we are going to struggle to stay up and Palace are probably safe but not sure I would want to watch that turgid shit week in week out.
And if we do survive (we are not down yet) then today just won't matter and I'm certain that we will not be in this position next season.
Oh, and those Palace fans, they absolutely stink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here