Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We’re on a knife edge. I believe we’ll fall the wrong way. Thirteen games without a win. All very well saying today’s was a great point. And it was. Trouble is the context is “if you win at home....” But we don’t. And I just can’t see us drawing another 12 games to stay up - cause we certainly ain’t winning, so if draws is where the points are only going to come from...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We’re on a knife edge. I believe we’ll fall the wrong way. Thirteen games without a win. All very well saying today’s was a great point. And it was. Trouble is the context is “if you win at home....” But we don’t. And I just can’t see us drawing another 12 games to stay up - cause we certainly ain’t winning, so if draws is where the points are only going to come from...

Giving up with 11 games to go? OK then :shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

When you say 13 games without a win, what do you mean?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As many others have said, and you may have done, there is very good money to be made backing up your conviction. I believe the opposite. I have full confidence we'll get the points we need

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
We should stop doubting Potter’s team selections, we are probably on course to stay up...just

Yes - there’s been a lot of criticism about GP’s team selections and that “he doesn’t know what his best team is”. Some of that may be true but I think today shows that he tries to pick a team based around the strengths, weaknesses and tactics of the opposition.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All those sodding corners though !! Listening on Radio Sussex, got no fingernails left !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

With basically 4 huge CBs on the pitch I actually felt quite comfortable with them.............would have been disappointing to have conceded. Their goal came from a bit of sleepiness at a short corner - we gave them **** all when they put one in the box.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As many others have said, and you may have done, there is very good money to be made backing up your conviction. I believe the opposite. I have full confidence we'll get the points we need

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If we can’t win, as per all the evidence, we need to draw 12 more to get us to the magic number. I just Can’t see us staying practically undefeated for rest of season. Can anyone. As for gambling, I don’t I’m afraid. Never have and not going to start now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Giving up with 11 games to go? OK then :shrug:

It’s not giving up, it’s simply acknowledging what is more likely. Evidence based reasoning if you like. Sure, they’ll be entertainment along the way. But come end of the season I’m fairly certain we’ll be down based on what I’ve seen this year and knowing what’s to come. Had we beaten just one of our relegation rivals in those four key matches then be cause for optimism. But we didn’t, not even close, so think City, Liverpool and maybe even Palace might be a bit of a stretch. That’s all. 3 teams have to go down each season. Typically it’s the worst, occasionally a desperately unlucky side does too. But we’re not that. We’ve stunk the PL out during our three seasons largely. I don’t think we’ve peppered anyone’s goal and come away saying damn, we should have stuffed em today/ How we lost that I don’t know...We’re just a bit rubbish, mere millionaires compared to the billionaires. No disgrace in that. It’s what statisticians call probability.

But then, the sound of tangoing bagpipes stirred in the distance. Cometh the hour, cometh the man? Nah, let’s keep him on the sub bench...:ffsparr:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not giving up, it’s simply acknowledging what is more likely. Evidence based reasoning if you like. Sure, they’ll be entertainment along the way. But come end of the season I’m fairly certain we’ll be down based on what I’ve seen this year and knowing what’s to come. Had we beaten just one of our relegation rivals in those four key matches then be cause for optimism. But we didn’t, not even close, so think City, Liverpool and maybe even Palace might be a bit of a stretch. That’s all. 3 teams have to go down each season. Typically it’s the worst, occasionally a desperately unlucky side does too. But we’re not that. We’ve stunk the PL out during our three seasons largely. I don’t think we’ve peppered anyone’s goal and come away saying damn, we should have stuffed em today/ How we lost that I don’t know...We’re just a bit rubbish, mere millionaires compared to the billionaires. No disgrace in that. It’s what statisticians call probability.

But then, the sound of tangoing bagpipes stirred in the distance. Cometh the hour, cometh the man? Nah, let’s keep him on the sub bench...:ffsparr:

Have you had a look at West Ham, Villa (and possibly Newcastle and Bournemouth) ? Saints had 28 shots vs Villa’s 4 today........WH were just AWFUL vs City and rolled over....Norwich are ****ed. We’ve come from behind in each of our last 3 games so we have a bit of fight, and took a point away against the team in 5th today. Cheer up FFS.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thought Webster did well, turned the ball over a couple of times trying to dribble out but he’ll take confidence from his overall performance.

Have to agree! As one of those who've been a tad miffed at errors in previous games, its with great pleasure to say Adam Webster was very good today.

I'm sure everybody wants him to do well and he did today. Long may it continue.

el punal

If we can’t win, as per all the evidence, we need to draw 12 more to get us to the magic number. I just Can’t see us staying practically undefeated for rest of season. Can anyone. As for gambling, I don’t I’m afraid. Never have and not going to start now.

Do lighten up for goodness sake. Put your feet up. Have a cigar. A large glass of cognac. Maybe a mug of Ovaltine. The end of the world is some time away . . . . unless you know something we don’t? :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have you had a look at West Ham, Villa (and possibly Newcastle and Bournemouth) ? Saints had 28 shots vs Villa’s 4 today........WH were just AWFUL vs City and rolled over....Norwich are ****ed. We’ve come from behind in each of our last 3 games so we have a bit of fight, and took a point away against the team in 5th today. Cheer up FFS.

I said a while ago thought be Norwich, West Ham and us. You’re not really paying attention to my previous posts about needing 12 draws if we cannot win games. At this level we rarely get 2 goals and when we do we also seem to have a nightmare in defence too despite solid performances previously. Guess I’m looking at things a bit more scientifically than that old chestnut called blind optimism. Maybe get real? FFS! :D

K1ngKaz

Oct 10, 2010
An excellent perhaps unexpected point at a very difficult place to go. Positives from me:

1. Despite many of us (hands up me included) questioning the line up before the game the manager picked a team ideal for a real physical battle and was proved vindicated.
2. Shows we are learning and can play more than one way to eek out a result. Playing Potterball today would have been suicidal. That will give the manager and players real confidence.
3. The team really played for each other, clearly no issues from ‘balloon gate’
4. Teams below us lost and lost in very dispiriting ways. Villa and Bournemouth will really be worrying now.
5. Maupay back in the team and back in the goals.
6. Bissouma back and played okay. Another option for midfield.
7. Newcastle lost without scoring again and are now right back in the mix.

All in all that has been a good day.

[emoji1362] great hard fort point. Was a physical game and I was scratching my head why there were 4 CB’s starting, but proved to be a good selection from the gaffer is it was a physical game.

on a side note, IF the ref was allowed to look at the screen then I’m pretty sure they would have been down to 10 and momentum would have swung.
Just a shame it isn’t used correctly.
Draw a good point at a tough opponent away.

Now let’s get 3 next sat [emoji1377]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I said a while ago thought be Norwich, West Ham and us. You’re not really paying attention to my previous posts about needing 12 draws if we cannot win games. At this level we rarely get 2 goals and when we do we also seem to have a nightmare in defence too despite solid performances previously. Guess I’m looking at things a bit more scientifically than that old chestnut called blind optimism. Maybe get real? FFS! :D

Its not based on "science", its based on your guess/assumption that we are not winning any of the 12 remaining games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[emoji1362] great hard fort point. Was a physical game and I was scratching my head why there were 4 CB’s starting, but proved to be a good selection from the gaffer is it was a physical game.

on a side note, IF the ref was allowed to look at the screen then I’m pretty sure they would have been down to 10 and momentum would have swung.
Just a shame it isn’t used correctly.
Draw a good point at a tough opponent away.

Now let’s get 3 next sat [emoji1377]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t trust a PL ref looking at a pitch side screen to give that decision against a home team.

Friend and Atkinson have more than enough power as it is. To allow those clowns to be ultimate arbiters of everything, would be a step backwards.

We simply need experienced VAR officials to have the right and the confidence to order sending offs and the reversing of their mates errors and omissions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ok, wallow in your pessimistic miserablist stuff if you want. I think we’ll be ok.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

And we were also unlucky not to get more from Liverpool, Spurs and Palace away. We’re far from safe but let’s be optimistic....we’re better than Norwich, Villa and Muff ( and a few more besides).

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
With basically 4 huge CBs on the pitch I actually felt quite comfortable with them.............would have been disappointing to have conceded. Their goal came from a bit of sleepiness at a short corner - we gave them **** all when they put one in the box.
fair comment. Just watched MOTD. Poor goal to concede, totally unmarked. Yeah, fair enough, and if I'm watching on TV fair enough. Just, having to listen on the radio is hard, under so much pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

So true. We have showed character and a gritty approach that I personally didn't think we would or could show, playing Potterball. Staying up is so key, and if we do, then next season, with a couple of further improvements, could and should be very very interesting.

Keep the faith all....

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here