Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] To give Boris Johnson credit....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely, then, the trouble with 'righties' is that they can't see anything good about the Labour Party ever? :shrug:

As for Johnson, I wouldn't trust a word he says and take all of these 'promises' he's made with a tonne-sized pinch of salt. And that's not being blinkered or biased – or even personal – I'm drawing on the evidence of his behaviour over decades.

Not true, I thought Blair was a breath of fresh air when he became PM but Corbyn? Nah, not a good word for him from me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You do like to trot this one out, as if, once the election is over and, for some at least, the absolute worst possible choice is in charge (Mr D. Cummings) we are all supposed to go 'Ah well, that's that for another five years, let's just let them get on with it'.

It makes one inclined to presume you have never had any sincerely-held political beliefs of your own at any point.

Corbyn was the worst choice. Taxes that would’ve penalised anyone holding shares including pensioners and the 3 million running small businesses, and it still wouldn’t have paid for their manifesto shopping list (per the IFS, plans “not credible”). As well as ideological policies of spite eg in ending all independent schools. His soft touch stance on Labour racist Anti Semites, because they’re allies in the conflated hate of Israel, was another huge own goal.

You won’t listen to any non-Lefties, so don’t take it from me. Nandy, Thornberry and Starmer all said the manifesto was a vote loser, Nandy and Thornberry said they knew all along that Corbyn’s Labour were doomed to a GE loss. Thornberry said she tried telling the leadership, but they wouldn’t listen.

Resulting in Brexit and non-marxist economics, to keep you cheery over the next 5 years.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Don’t see he has done anything wrong. After all he’s not likely to stay in an all inclusive 4 star in Magaluf rubbing shoulders with heavily tattooed tradesmen in football tops sitting around the pool, is he !

Of course he has done something wrong. How can you accept £15000 worth of benefit in kind and not feel obligated to someone. There is potential if not actual corruption. He is paid enough to pay for his own holidays. It is yet another example of his sense of entitlement. We deserve better from our leaders

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Of course he has done something wrong. How can you accept £15000 worth of benefit in kind and not feel obligated to someone. There is potential if not actual corruption. He is paid enough to pay for his own holidays. It is yet another example of his sense of entitlement. We deserve better from our leaders

This. Well said. Of course these people are so loaded they probably genuinely think of £15K as chicken-feed and would feel insulted if such a paltry sum was thought to be worthy of stimulating influence!

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don’t see he has done anything wrong. After all he’s not likely to stay in an all inclusive 4 star in Magaluf rubbing shoulders with heavily tattooed tradesmen in football tops sitting around the pool, is he !
Yes, but which oligarch has paid for it, and what is the quid pro quo ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. Well said. Of course these people are so loaded they probably genuinely think of £15K as chicken-feed!

Yep, happens all the time. When I worked in private banking in particular gifts from clients were a nightmare to deal with - staff being given things like watches and jewellery where the value to them was enormous but to the client it was seen as 'nothing' and just a token gesture. AB&C laws and policies (whoch have been continually tightened) prevent the gifts from being accepted, or they are subject to rigorous scrutiny/approval so was always a bit of a nightmare to deal with (all gifts and entertainment - an invitation to use someone's holiday home wasn't unusual - need to be declared). Typical options included :

-keep the gift, but make an equivalent donation to charity (not really an option if it's a £20k watch for most people)
-return the gift and say you can't accept it (often done, but likely to cause significant offence in some cultures)
-sell the gift and donate the money to charity (awkward next time you see he client). This option did work for utilisation of holiday homes though......

Same applies these days to more traditional 'entertainment' including from suppliers etc - golf days, football match tickets, dinners, an evening at Stringfellows etc (although things like the latter are specifically banned under any circumstances nowadays)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
You do like to trot this one out, as if, once the election is over and, for some at least, the absolute worst possible choice is in charge (Mr D. Cummings) we are all supposed to go 'Ah well, that's that for another five years, let's just let them get on with it'.

It makes one inclined to presume you have never had any sincerely-held political beliefs of your own at any point.

Many people have sincerely-held political beliefs and they talk about their beliefs, not just continually whinge and get upset about other peoples political beliefs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Has this been sorted out now ?

What we know so far.

1) Boris claimed a Tory donor had paid for the holiday, but the donor denies it.

2) Donor claims it is all mistake. His villa was unavailable, but he "swapped" his availability with other owners (through a management company) where the residents had cancelled.

It gets even more confusing since the owners of the property have been tracked down by the press

‘We got paid for the stay – we get paid for anybody who rents our house. But we have no idea who paid for the house, whether he [Mr Johnson] did, or whoever this Mr Ross is – I don’t know who he is – paid.

‘All I know is that we got a statement saying we received a certain amount of income as a result of our house being rented. We don’t get involved in who rents our house. That is the Mustique Company that handles that.’

Asked if the £15,000 ($19,000) sum declared by Mr Johnson tallied with the amount she had received, she said: ‘I’m not going to answer that. That’s private information for sure. I can’t answer that.’

Now, some have tried to draw links between the Blairs staying (at the utter utter King of Rock and Roll) Cliff Richard's House, but that was a "private" arrangement at a private residence. Very odd, but private all the same and Cilla Black loved it there. This however is clearly a commercial property that can be rented out. The oddness is such:

1) Boris hasn't paid for it (we know that he declared it) although he is a very wealthy multi-millionaire who could easily afford it.
2) The person who Boris claimed to pay for it it has clearly said he didn't.

You would think (wouldn't you) that the Prime Minister of a major international country (or his advisors), would make sure all the boxes were ticked before going on holiday ?

Especially since his destination was widely known and he has been photographed in a lovely work shirt Bermuda shorts combo that simply defines our emancipation from the EU and the Buccaneer internationalist future of the these great lands.

PRI_115130139-e1581576756310.jpg

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Boris telling porkies? Nah, 17m mugs would see through that.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Sadly you're in hostile terriTORY with comments like that on here. Take away the Johnson worshippers and there'd be about 7 posters left.

They 'won'. Their ego's are satisfied. Its not about the country, its about their emotions.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looks like our new Chancellor has some questions to answer with respect to his previous existence as a rapid accumulator of wealth for others and himself but not perhaps for the taxpayer. However, there is something to be said for appointing someone who 'might' have some expertise in dodging taxes as the new Chancellor, reminding us of the old phrase 'poacher turned gamekeeper'. My loathing of the Tories has just deepened.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...r-hedge-fund-past/ar-BB100QRc?ocid=spartandhp

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looks like our new Chancellor has some questions to answer with respect to his previous existence as a rapid accumulator of wealth for others and himself but not perhaps for the taxpayer. However, there is something to be said for appointing someone who 'might' have some expertise in dodging taxes as the new Chancellor, reminding us of the old phrase 'poacher turned gamekeeper'. My loathing of the Tories has just deepened.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...r-hedge-fund-past/ar-BB100QRc?ocid=spartandhp

In other news i received my Brexit 50p today. Didn't mind paying extra for it. :clap2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As for Johnson, I wouldn't trust a word he says and take all of these 'promises' he's made with a tonne-sized pinch of salt. And that's not being blinkered or biased – or even personal – I'm drawing on the evidence of his behaviour over decades.
Although I don't disagree with you, what examples can you give of his lying over the decades?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They 'won'. Their ego's are satisfied. Its not about the country, its about their emotions.

What I find quite amusing is that Boris won the election by a landslide because of the mess the Leave vote created. I doubt Boris would even be leader of the Tories let alone PM if we had voted Remain.

So you Leftie leavers actually bear some responsibility that your Nemesis is running the show

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Surely, then, the trouble with 'righties' is that they can't see anything good about the Labour Party ever? :shrug:

Boris Johnson ended Corbyn's career. He will also see off any further Labour leader in the next election. Wait and see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here