Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we were still at the Goldstone....

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
If, if, if......we were still at our spiritual home that was ripped away from us.....how do you think it would look now? And where do you think we would be?

I’ll go for....

North Stand = turned into two tier all seated end holding 7,000
West Stand = turned into three tier holding 10,000
South Stand = after purchasing land behind, two tier stand holding 7,000
East Stand = single tier covered stand on pretty much original footprint holding 5,000 with away fans in North East corner.
Capacity = 29,000
Playing in the Championship b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If, if, if......we were still at our spiritual home that was ripped away from us.....how do you think it would look now? And where do you think we would be?

I’ll go for....

East Stand = single tier covered stand on pretty much original footprint holding 5,000 with away fans in North East corner.
Capacity = 29,000

Given the amount of money was spent building our current stadium, I'd also have gone for buying up all the houses in Goldstone Lane, closing it and building a stand all down the east side too!

The one certainty is that you wouldn't be able to recognise it as The Goldstone!

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
I would say Championship and the odd year in the 3rd tier. The Goldstone would be much the same, the east terrace would be completely closed, or just had seats bolted onto the terrace, but no roof. Can’t disturb the view for those living in Goldstone Lane can we, and the lower west and north stand would have had the seats bolted onto the terrace (like at Roots Hall) to comply with having to be all seater.

As after all, if the Goldstone was still here then Uncle Dick would not have needed to save us, and we’d also not have been sold onto a certain Mr Bloom.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I know this kind of defeats your question, but if the Goldstone hadn't been ripped away from us, I think we'd now be at the Amex.

We just wouldn't have had the Gillingham and Withdean years in between.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I’ll go for....

Capacity = 29,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure there was a covenant in place banning any roof on the East Terrace.

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
I know this kind of defeats your question, but if the Goldstone hadn't been ripped away from us, I think we'd now be at the Amex.

Would we have had three League championships though?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If we were still at the Goldstone I'd be able to walk to the ground in 10 minutes which is great but I'd be royally annoyed at all the twunts parking in my road to go to the football.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we were still at the Goldstone I'd be able to walk to the ground in 10 minutes which is great but I'd be royally annoyed at all the twunts parking in my road to go to the football.

There would certainly be parking exclusion zones in place - in fact, I'm surprised that it's not resident parking only already.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Hopefully if we were still there they would have done up the northstand dunny which was actually worse than the crapper at the Flying Scotsman, which in itself was an achievement that should have been impossible, but obviously wasnt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I might have made a concerted effort to buy a house overlooking the East Terrace :smile:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If we still played at the Goldstone I would be surprised if TB had taken over since there would be little chance of progression.
I guess we would be, at best mid Championship, probably Div 1. Our heroes on the pitch would be mix of free transferees , young loanees from bigger clubs and one or two foreigners who could not play at a higher level..

And you know? We would still be having great joy following the Albion :albion2:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m sure there was a covenant in place banning any roof on the East Terrace.

There was a covenant covering the whole ground. No building higher than west stand

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I tend to agree. Even when we were at the Goldstone we were looking to move as there was a general consensus that the Goldstone footprint was too small, even if we did buy up some of the surrounding land. Mike Bamber was the first one I think to talk about building a stadium at Waterhall. And at one time there was a proposal that we should build a stadium at Gatwick and share it with Palace!

Over the last thirty years or so many clubs moved from their traditional homes to newer, largely out-of-town stadia; we'd simply have been one of those.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

I think we'd be at a new stadium- but not at Falmer. A lot of the PR behind the Falmer campaign involved the idea that the club NEEDED a stadium to survive and this generated a lot of support from the public- I don't think that same support would have existed if we already had an adequate ground in place. Also Dick Knight was a superb propaganda machine and dealt with the media and the public- would a possibly less charismatic leader have had the same effect?

So it would have to have been somewhere much less controversial (no idea where that would have been to be honest), with fewer planning obstacles and vocal local residents- and possibly smaller- probably something similar to Bournemouth

el punal

[QUOzTE=bhafc99;9225088]I know this kind of defeats your question, but if the Goldstone hadn't been ripped away from us, I think we'd now be at the Amex.

We just wouldn't have had the Gillingham and Withdean years in between.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that we would be at the Amex/Falmer. If we still had the Goldstone there is no way we would have had the support of the council to move to a new site. In fact probably the opposite - a case of you have a home, upgrade it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Parking in Hove???????

:D :D There's quite a few roads within 10 minutes walk of Goldstone site that don't have parking restrictions on. Guess it depends how fast you walk! Head north or northwest of there. Like someone else pointed out there'd be special football parking restrictions anyway.

el punal

I tend to agree. Even when we were at the Goldstone we were looking to move as there was a general consensus that the Goldstone footprint was too small, even if we did buy up some of the surrounding land. Mike Bamber was the first one I think to talk about building a stadium at Waterhall. And at one time there was a proposal that we should build a stadium at Gatwick and share it with Palace!

Over the last thirty years or so many clubs moved from their traditional homes to newer, largely out-of-town stadia; we'd simply have been one of those.

In c1978 the club produced plans to improve the Goldstone - they were on display at Hove town hall for the public to view them. It comprised of (if my memory serves me well!) the West Stand being extended to the North Stand. The North Stand being rebuilt with executive boxes above the terracing. A roof being built over the East terrace. The capacity to be limited to 28,000.

The plan to share a stadium with Palace at Gatwick was just pie in the sky and never took off. ‘Scuse the pun! I must admit I never heard of a Waterhall development during the Bamber years - it might have worked back then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here