Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Light Pollution.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
GB, you are a tad flippant here, and complacent and wrong. Also, you're daft on this.

Not really. The petiition is doing the rounds on my wife's FB and she keeps reading out the names of new people from her feed signing. Most of them live on our road - from where you cannot see the Amex, light or no light. Now - maybe they are all qualified environmentalists and astronomers with degrees in one of the sciences who have taken the time to investigate the claims and their effects before signing. Or maybe they've signed it to virtue signal because Doris at number 40 has. :shrug:
[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] has already explained that the issue is atmospheric conditions and, while I appreciate you might enjoy a good stargaze, you can't do it when it's cloudy.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To be honest I think he's got a point if they're leaving the pitch lamps on all night.

However, the wording of the petition is a load of emotive claptrap. He seems to be blaming the Amex for all light pollution and every associated problem when there's a large city next to it :facepalm:

The American Express Community Stadium is creating devastating and distressing light pollution. Lights and heaters are used all night long to help the grass grow but they are so badly designed that the consequential light spill is the worst incident in a hundred square miles. This is having a devastating impact on wildlife, particularly insects as well as destroying the night sky for hundreds of thousands of people, causing distressing impacts on wellbeing, and preventing astronomy and night photography.

There is new scientific evidence (Owens et Al 2019) which shows that insects are declining eight times faster than birds and mammals at a terrifying 2.5% a year and light pollution is a key driver of this insect apocalypse. If we lose the insects the whole ecosystem collapses.

Light pollution is the easiest thing to fix as there are no clean up costs. We knew how to turn off the lights in the Blitz. If we fix this problem, we are no longer killing insects, we are contributing less to the climate emergency and we are saving money. It is a three nil win.

We call on Brighton and Hove Albion FC to please PUT THAT LIGHT OUT

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This is so over the top. I was walking in Stanmer and couldnt believe in the growth i could see going on at university. This is far greater concern to environment then these lights at Amex that would guess are on for 50/60 tmes and are not always visible

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is so over the top. I was walking in Stanmer and couldnt believe in the growth i could see going on at university. This is far greater concern to environment then these lights at Amex that would guess are on for 50/60 tmes and are not always visible

Funny isn’t it given the scale of expansion it’s a wonder nobody is thinking of or opposing the environmental impact or is that just reserved for the building of football stadiums

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not just emotive, factually suspect. i wonder how many insect there are about in January to be affected, and how many are nocturnal and affected by light pollution in warmer times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone complained at Vitacress in Runcton?

Chichester hasn't known true darkness for the best part of 10 years.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Just driven back from Winchester and I saw the same thing twice, orange sky. South East of Chichester and it looked like near Littlehampton. I was on the A27 so cant be sure exact location.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
All they’ve got to do is put some shades up. It won’t stop the drain on the national grid but at least they’ll be putting something right that was probably unforeseen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It really isn't mate.

There's a lot of people trying to keep our skies clear.

This isn't nimbyism, far from it.

Nothing has changed in the eight years those lights have been there. It’s just band wagon jumping.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Nothing has changed in the eight years those lights have been there. It’s just band wagon jumping.

Nonsense!

This thread should have the correct information.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
e4f244f2ba051e61cccd9585c809987e.plist

Thought I’d take a snap on me way to Lewes.

Beautiful!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
They are the same lights the club have used all the time. In the last few days, the very low cloud cover has magnified the glow. That’s all it is.

How rather silly, when you really don't know that is factual.

As I alluded to earlier, I am into astronomy, and I understand certain things, without being condescending.

I will text the ranger of The South Downs tomorrow morning, Dan, and I'll post what he replies.

I can't be fairer than that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taken by me two years ago
91304a0b79575ff4ef02d47a8c3035dd.jpg

How rather silly, when you really don't know that is factual.

As I alluded to earlier, I am into astronomy, and I understand certain things, without being condescending.

I will text the ranger of The South Downs tomorrow morning, Dan, and I'll post what he replies.

I can't be fairer than that?

The above was on the previous page taken two years ago with similar cloud levels.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The above was on the previous page taken two years ago with similar cloud levels.

TB, I'm not into a who wins competition here, far from it.

I do care about light pollution though.

I'll talk to the ranger tomorrow, and post his reply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here