Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Light Pollution.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You have just proved the point. You noticed it for the first time in the past week, when exactly the same lights on the same pitch, have been operating all the winter months, for eight years.
What’s the difference? A low cloud, foggy atmospheric condition.

For the first time in eight years? ???

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I drove past it Sunday evening, people are entirely correct to have a moan about it.

Some classic whataboutery on here as well. Irrelevant what street lights are on in the city centre, we should keep our own house in order.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Some people need to get a life (local residents) or be shot ("Arse scum).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I drove past it Sunday evening, people are entirely correct to have a moan about it.

Some classic whataboutery on here as well. Irrelevant what street lights are on in the city centre, we should keep our own house in order.

Put that light out.

2013-05-28_1526.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Other solutions may be available...

Further trials by SGL in Holland are assessing whether having the lights on for 12 hours at a more intense level, will have the same effect as having them on for 24 hours at a lower level. They are also investigating whether supplying additional carbon dioxide to the grass will increase the beneficial effects of the lights.

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-medi...-in-summer-condition-in-depths-of-winter.html

And the option to overseed i.e. increasing the seed with a more fertile mix.

https://www.barenbrug.biz/turf/sos-saves-bare-pitches-in-winter

I love it when NSC topics mean I end up learning about stuff I knew sod all about beforehand.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Obviously light pollution but don`t really see how it can be affecting wildlife and as others have said far more lights along A27 and in towns.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Other solutions may be available...

Further trials by SGL in Holland are assessing whether having the lights on for 12 hours at a more intense level, will have the same effect as having them on for 24 hours at a lower level. They are also investigating whether supplying additional carbon dioxide to the grass will increase the beneficial effects of the lights.

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-medi...-in-summer-condition-in-depths-of-winter.html

And the option to overseed i.e. increasing the seed with a more fertile mix.

https://www.barenbrug.biz/turf/sos-saves-bare-pitches-in-winter

I love it when NSC topics mean I end up learning about stuff I knew sod all about beforehand.

MORE Co2?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've signed the counter petition. The lights have no bearing on me and I can easily see it, if I wished to do so. Also, the insect activity this time of year(when the lights are used) is so negligible as to not warrant its inclusion. Bird life seems not to be affected as general town or city light pollution pretty much looks the same. If it was shown to have a detrimental effect on wildlife or the surrounding area, I'm quite sure the club would be the first to tone it down a bit.
Just seems like people have to complain about something or nothing

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
noticed reading brightonandhovenews there's a counter petition just been set up, only about 50ish signatures so far.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/01/27/counter-petition-to-amex-glow-campaign-started/

The counter petition (below) , is also linked in the previous article

https://www.change.org/p/anyone-that-signed-to-turn-them-off-leave-the-lights-on-and-save-our-pitch

Not seen anything on the club website but looks like they have been Barbered

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove Albion said: “Like most businesses, the football club must balance its concern for, and responsibility to help protect, the environment with our need to practically run our business as a Premier League football club watched by tens of millions of people across the world.

“You will appreciate that, with millions of pounds worth of athletic and footballing talent on display each home match day, we must not only meet and maintain league regulations for the quality of our playing surface, but we also have a duty of care to our players and those of visiting teams.

“Beyond our responsibilities to the athletes, and to the fans who pay to expect to watch a high quality football match, the quality of our pitch can significantly influence our performance and therefore our results. Indeed, its quality can create a (legally) competitive advantage – or a disadvantage.

“Our results on the pitch govern the overall health of our business, and with it the thousands of directly and indirectly created jobs (90% of which are local), not to mention the overall local economic impact, independently measured as being worth £212 million in the 2017/18 season alone.

“The success of the football club also supports an important local charity, Albion in the Community, which runs more than 60 different health and educational programmes for over 40,000 local participants – and makes a further local economic contribution of nearly £30 million – each year.

“In the winter months, whilst we may at times experience high rainfall and high winds, with little or no natural sunlight, a grass pitch misses a key element of its natural ability to re-generate and grow after use. We must therefore replicate that loss of light artificially.

“Clearly, we will always limit the use of artificial light – for all the reasons highlighted – but I’m afraid we are unable to further limit or eliminate its use completely. To do so, would be to significantly neglect the other responsibilities.

“Please be assured that we take our responsibilities for the environment very seriously indeed, but like airlines, car manufacturers, supermarkets, consumer goods factories, and other businesses we all use every day, it is impossible for us to eliminate our environmental footprint altogether.”

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove Albion said: “Like most businesses, the football club must balance its concern for, and responsibility to help protect, the environment with our need to practically run our business as a Premier League football club watched by tens of millions of people across the world.

“You will appreciate that, with millions of pounds worth of athletic and footballing talent on display each home match day, we must not only meet and maintain league regulations for the quality of our playing surface, but we also have a duty of care to our players and those of visiting teams.

“Beyond our responsibilities to the athletes, and to the fans who pay to expect to watch a high quality football match, the quality of our pitch can significantly influence our performance and therefore our results. Indeed, its quality can create a (legally) competitive advantage – or a disadvantage.

“Our results on the pitch govern the overall health of our business, and with it the thousands of directly and indirectly created jobs (90% of which are local), not to mention the overall local economic impact, independently measured as being worth £212 million in the 2017/18 season alone.

“The success of the football club also supports an important local charity, Albion in the Community, which runs more than 60 different health and educational programmes for over 40,000 local participants – and makes a further local economic contribution of nearly £30 million – each year.

“In the winter months, whilst we may at times experience high rainfall and high winds, with little or no natural sunlight, a grass pitch misses a key element of its natural ability to re-generate and grow after use. We must therefore replicate that loss of light artificially.

“Clearly, we will always limit the use of artificial light – for all the reasons highlighted – but I’m afraid we are unable to further limit or eliminate its use completely. To do so, would be to significantly neglect the other responsibilities.

“Please be assured that we take our responsibilities for the environment very seriously indeed, but like airlines, car manufacturers, supermarkets, consumer goods factories, and other businesses we all use every day, it is impossible for us to eliminate our environmental footprint altogether.”

Hopefully any Albion fan that has signed the petition or thinking about signing will read this.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Reminds me of Bea Perez‘s response.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Poor response from the club, I don't think anyone is expecting no environmental impact from the stadium. I think many of us are just asking for a solution to be looked into that could minimise the light pollution. Its reflected light surely it would be in the clubs interest to have that lost light energy going into the grass no the sky!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here