Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just heard a pretty sobering story from my daughter. The entire family of a friend of hers have Covid. The father was in ICU a long way from home as all the London hospitals were full. He was discharged as soon as he could breathe as they needed the bed. Taken home by ambulance at 4 am. He and the rest of the family are now all at home and really unwell. Stay safe everyone.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Having a house party for me and 13 mates tonight, just scrapes under the new guidance for fines!!

Which is weird, as I thought you weren't supposed to have ANYONE into your house!

Building on this theme, it seems the government are now considering paying anyone who gets Covid £500. Well meaning, no doubt, but how many reprobates are going to take that as both a directive to go and get Covid and an opportunity to make an easy £500? Enough to nullify the positive effects of such a policy, in my opinion, and at considerable expense (around £20m a day at present).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...onder-paying-500-to-all-with-covid-in-england

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I heard I have it, test positive yesterday. So far not too bad, flu-like symptoms, chesty cough, feel low. Caught it from my mum, who was admitted to hospital in Leics with heart condition two weeks ago. I cared for her on release. She's ok, headaches and no smell, but hey. Q thankful so far.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
so mandatory vaccinations and/or impose shielding on the vulnerable groups? we know perpetual lockdown is ineffective at suppression, though some want that.

I think the idea is that this lockdown has been ineffective and insufficient, and if only we had had the sense to stay in our homes with an exercise bike and never leave the house for the last year, things would have been fine. But as it's too late for that, what they are now saying is that if vaccine reduces the incidence to less than 10% of what it is now and it becomes less serious, then the lockdowns we have suffered for the last year will be a reasonable and proportionate reaction. As long as they don't relax the rules in summer, of course.

Remember - to some people, there must be no relaxation until we have all become immortal.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think the idea is that this lockdown has been ineffective and insufficient, and if only we had had the sense to stay in our homes with an exercise bike and never leave the house for the last year, things would have been fine. But as it's too late for that, what they are now saying is that if vaccine reduces the incidence to less than 10% of what it is now and it becomes less serious, then the lockdowns we have suffered for the last year will be a reasonable and proportionate reaction. As long as they don't relax the rules in summer, of course.

Remember - to some people, there must be no relaxation until we have all become immortal.

The problem with that Independent article is that assumes that vaccines have zero effect on transmission. That may turn out to be the case, I hope not, but it’s within the realms of possibility. Equally, it’s also possible that they have a significant effect on transmission, quelling the virus by suffocating it through an inoculated community rather than through social distancing etc as is currently the requirement.

Until more is definitively known on this crucial point, I really wish those in prominent positions, be they ministers or journalists, would stop painting such a black and white picture of either ‘laughing by Easter’ or ‘doomed for all eternity’. No one knows yet.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
so mandatory vaccinations and/or impose shielding on the vulnerable groups? we know perpetual lockdown is ineffective at suppression, though some want that.

I think this really if possible needs to be the last lockdown, of all the measures imposed so far the lockdown has been the most effective measure of controlling the virus, so if it goes on longer than we would really like and possibly into the Summer but it really means this is the last one then it is a price worth paying However the mood does seem to have changed somewhat amongst politicians and scientists than even with a vaccine if this is to be the last lockdown we will still need to live with other control measures for quite some time, possibly years to come.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think this really if possible needs to be the last lockdown, of all the measures imposed so far the lockdown has been the most effective measure of controlling the virus, so if it goes on longer than we would really like and possibly into the Summer but it really means this is the last one then it is a price worth paying However the mood does seem to have changed somewhat amongst politicians and scientists than even with a vaccine if this is to be the last lockdown we will still need to live with other control measures for quite some time, possibly years to come.

If that were to be the case life just wouldn't be worth living. Plenty struggling and taking that choice now. That number will shoot up the longer this continues

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The problem the gov has, is that the “some people” is actually quite a large number of people who want zero covid which isn’t possible and I’m not sure ever was.

China has another outbreak, are we saying they didn’t lockdown hard enough?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Seen the £500 if you have COVID positive test idea? There’s been some insanely stupid ideas during this pandemic but that is beyond farcical.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The goal posts shifting all the time.

Seen the £500 if you have COVID positive test idea? There’s been some insanely stupid ideas during this pandemic but that is beyond farcical.

It’s open to fraud, that’s for sure.

I assume they know this, as someone said a few pages back - it’s about stopping unrest, which I tend to agree with.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I'm just back from licking shopping trolleys at Asda. Anyone know how long before my 500 big ones arrive?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm just back from licking shopping trolleys at Asda. Anyone now how long before my 500 big ones arrive?

We had a driver who was waiting on a covid result (turned out positive) out for 3 days dropping off food and working in store

Better off just getting a drop off and licking the boxes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The problem the gov has, is that the “some people” is actually quite a large number of people who want zero covid which isn’t possible and I’m not sure ever was.

China has another outbreak, are we saying they didn’t lockdown hard enough?

there is, and i dont think people quite grasp the required level and length of lockdown to achieve this. people need to accept there will be deaths from covid, like other respiratory virus we live with.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
there is, and i dont think people quite grasp the required level and length of lockdown to achieve this. people need to accept there will be deaths from covid, like other respiratory virus we live with.

It doesn’t help groups with massive audiences like independent sage are pushing for it it daily.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I disagree with lockdowns but I’m on board with this one, providing that is the last one. It simply has to be the last one, we can’t keep doing this, the people we are doing this to save, vulnerable groups (predominantly over 70’s) are currently living a life that isn’t even worth living, who wants to live the golden years of your life cooped up indoors scared? I’m in my twenties so I’m taking it on the chin but I’m still frustrated at losing valuable time, I can’t imagine how the elderly feel, they can’t do the very things they love, the loneliness especially must be horrible.

There is no excuse for this lockdown extending any longer than March, the government told us the vaccine was the way out, the death rate is so low for people under 50 there can be no valid reasoning for continuing lockdown into summer, the virus won’t disappear and people need to realise eradication will never happen. Last time I checked the statistics, over 70’s accounted for I think nearly 90% of COVID deaths so once those people are immune there is no argument for continued shut down.

Herd immunity with vaccinated vulnerable groups? That’s what we do with flu every year? Is it worth vaccinating healthy people under 30 or perhaps 40? I don’t think so personally. Maybe eventually but I think it’s ethically wrong to vaccinate and leave other nations struggling to vaccinate vulnerable people with nothing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I feel this lockdown in partnership with the vaccination and the long overdue travel restrictions provide a great opportunity for us to get on top of this. If we release too early and end up doing this again it will be inexcusable. Sadly we still have a some weeks of grim news re deaths and hospital admissions, but if we keep this effort up the continuing falling number of cases should hopefully herald in some more positive news sooner rather than later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here