Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
That suggest we all fit into 2 groups.

IMO there's at least one other group, those that don't give a rats arse about anyone else and just stick two fingers up at the whole thing. From my experience they are a fair sized minority and if it weren't for them the vast majority of the population could fit into your second category

Yes you’re quite correct, I’ve met a few of those type, they put up a good argument until they mention 5G and NWO !

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes you’re quite correct, I’ve met a few of those type, they put up a good argument until they mention 5G and NWO !

I know a few too and they get right up my nose. If they were 5G or any other loony tune types I could almost excuse it but they aren't, just selfish inconsiderates that think they are impregnable. They shrug off the suggestion that they might give it to others because they "obviously" aren't going to get it or if they did they would self isolate (well perhaps, and assumes they know and know 5 days ahead)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe pro lockdown was perhaps the wrong description, there are certainly people out there thriving on the drama of it all, and there are people who quietly go about their business as respectfully as they can, I fit into the last category as I’m sure most people do, it remains to be seen the lasting legacy of all this but I’m almost certain it will be a very different world purely down to the fact that as a direct consequence of the restrictions, the poor have got poorer and the rich richer, there is no disputing that.
It breaks my heart seeing people I know losing elderly relatives to covid, but equally as heartbreaking is seeing young families losing their homes and resorting to asking friends and neighbours for food because they’ve fallen through the gaps when the government were handing out state grants and have used up their life savings to live !

Have homes been lost yet?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't know but there will be a damn sight more if the hospitals are full with Covid-19 patients and have to decide who lives or dies.

That has neve happened though has it ? The nightingale hospitals were never used

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Have homes been lost yet?
Obviously not as no evictions are allowed, but I personally know of 3 families that are under no illusions they will be evicted as they are unable to pay their rent.
Crawley has been hit exceptionally hard by this situation, many families rely on the airport for work, low skilled low income jobs, multiple family members all working at the airport and their jobs no longer exist.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That has neve happened though has it ? The nightingale hospitals were never used

Oh, for goodness sake, we are going round in circles now - the generally held belief, which I’ve not seen any but the complete Covid deniers say, is that the Nightingale hospitals weren’t needed BECAUSE we went into lockdown and massively reduced infection rates at that time.

Before lockdown was made official people had already begun to withdraw from society, schools were closing, before the government closed them, football was suspended before lockdown and many had already starting working from home... all these things helped turn the tide and prevent the need for the hospitals.

If these measures hadn’t been instigated the NHS would have been over run.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously not as no evictions are allowed, but I personally know of 3 families that are under no illusions they will be evicted as they are unable to pay their rent.
Crawley has been hit exceptionally hard by this situation, many families rely on the airport for work, low skilled low income jobs, multiple family members all working at the airport and their jobs no longer exist.

I genuinely feel for all those adversely affected by the collapse of travel and tourism. Feast to famine, Gatwick and Heathrow rode on an incredible crest of a wave for decades, Crawley, Horley, Copthorne and all nearby towns have thrived, even now huge new housing estates being built.

Although it will be 5 years before there’s a full recovery, I think once we’re over these next 5 months, there should start to be a proper recovery.

For staff and sacked staff, supply chains, financial help is vital to get them through. Not that that helps all who’ll have to sell their home, downgrade or start renting.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Might be the clocks going back making me more saturnine than usual but I fear this will never be over. The country is irrevocably changed by our response to Covid 19.

Even assuming a vaccine is developed, I doubt it will be a sterilising vaccine. If we are fortunate, it may be as effective as the annual flu shot in a good year, so maybe 50-60% effective. Given our leaders seem wedded to a Zero Covid strategy, will that be enough to allow us to return to normal? And if there's no vaccine at all. What then? There seems no prospect of an alternative exit strategy.

The Welsh minister for Transport is already prepping Wales for another 'firebreak' in January before they've even got stuck in to this one. And 'expects England to follow shortly '. Brass neck or inside knowledge it's not encouraging.

But let's be optimistic and say that in six months, we will be able to return to pre Covid normality and we can start trying to rebuild the economy and figure out how we pay for the eye watering costs we've accrued. It's going to take a generation at least.

And in that time, what happens when the next Respiratory Virus rises in the East? I'd wager that there will be a significant clamour for it to be treated as the Fourth Horseman with demands for lockdowns, restrictions, masks and the whole cycle repeating itself.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Might be the clocks going back making me more saturnine than usual but I fear this will never be over. The country is irrevocably changed by our response to Covid 19.

Even assuming a vaccine is developed, I doubt it will be a sterilising vaccine. If we are fortunate, it may be as effective as the annual flu shot in a good year, so maybe 50-60% effective. Given our leaders seem wedded to a Zero Covid strategy, will that be enough to allow us to return to normal? And if there's no vaccine at all. What then? There seems no prospect of an alternative exit strategy.

The Welsh minister for Transport is already prepping Wales for another 'firebreak' in January before they've even got stuck in to this one. And 'expects England to follow shortly '. Brass neck or inside knowledge it's not encouraging.

But let's be optimistic and say that in six months, we will be able to return to pre Covid normality and we can start trying to rebuild the economy and figure out how we pay for the eye watering costs we've accrued. It's going to take a generation at least.

And in that time, what happens when the next Respiratory Virus rises in the East? I'd wager that there will be a significant clamour for it to be treated as the Fourth Horseman with demands for lockdowns, restrictions, masks and the whole cycle repeating itself.

You’ve summed up exactly my thoughts, I’m really not sure a vaccine is the miracle we’re all hoping for, I think it will help but I’m fairly sure, there will be restrictions for a long while yet, and even if they lift the social restrictions, I’m certain there will be travel restrictions for years to come.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
With you on the mismanagement thing (with a couple of exceptions globally) although to the best of my knowledge you can buy a Cream Egg (assuming they are in the shops).

There are 45 thousand people who died having been tested positive for Coronavirus. In fact later on this was reduced to having a positive test in the 28 days before dying.

Now if you look at this graph (source BMJ) you will see up to about June much more people were dying than normal, most of which were COVID related (as for the rest presumably it was either undiagnosed COVID patients or caused by the NHS being overrun or mote likely a combination of both).

View attachment 129760

You try and make it sound like a nasty seasonal bug that picks off the odd pensioner. It is much worse than that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have some people really got to the...

"Those massive emergency hospitals we built because we saw what was happening in Italy and were shit-scared that we did not have enough health resources to deal with what we may have to face were not really used so this Covid-19 thing is nothing to worry about"

...stage?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
what freedom is it you think government want to permanently take away?

freedom to attend large gatherings such as music festivals , football matches , indoor concerts , night clubs , large pub gatherings , large family gatherings.

the imposition of what is looking like the first mandatory vaccination in history to enable international travel , failure to get vaxed will result in removal of freedom to travel abroad.

thats 2 pretty large freedoms right there

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
With you on the mismanagement thing (with a couple of exceptions globally) although to the best of my knowledge you can buy a Cream Egg (assuming they are in the shops).

There are 45 thousand people who died having been tested positive for Coronavirus. In fact later on this was reduced to having a positive test in the 28 days before dying.

Now if you look at this graph (source BMJ) you will see up to about June much more people were dying than normal, most of which were COVID related (as for the rest presumably it was either undiagnosed COVID patients or caused by the NHS being overrun or mote likely a combination of both).

View attachment 129760

You try and make it sound like a nasty seasonal bug that picks off the odd pensioner. It is much worse than that.

china sent plane loads of people to Europe in January from Wuhan knowing full well they were pretty much the focal point of an unknown but deadly viral event.....the rest is history , they Brits do love a good graph don't they .....???

i would query the nhs being "overrun" as well .....the nightingale facilities remained largely empty....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
freedom to attend large gatherings such as music festivals , football matches , indoor concerts , night clubs , large pub gatherings , large family gatherings.

appreciate an actual response. i dont believe those in power have any intent of resticting large gatherings any longer than necessary. they affect them too and materially impact economy. worth noting politcal protests were explicitly not limited, you'd have thought that would be if the goal was to remove are freedoms and rights long term.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Woohoo! We are starting to come out of second wave lockdown over here.

This thing ain’t over yet, but it is time to learn to live with it. Hopefully a vaccine by the New Year for the vulnerable and health workers. I will be chomping at the bit to get that jab, I so want international travel to resume.

I hope that all of you get through these next few weeks as pain free as possible, and get to spend Christmas with your loved ones.

Roll on 2021!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

"Those massive emergency hospitals we built because we saw what was happening in Italy and were shit-scared that we did not have enough health resources to deal with what we may have to face were not really used so this Covid-19 thing is nothing to worry about"

...stage?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

"I've never used these airbags in my car so it's pretty obvious I'm never going to crash"

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
appreciate an actual response. i dont believe those in power have any intent of resticting large gatherings any longer than necessary. they affect them too and materially impact economy. worth noting politcal protests were explicitly not limited, you'd have thought that would be if the goal was to remove are freedoms and rights long term.

quite , they have let numerous , large scale protests go ahead but in the summer they were chasing people off the streets and out of central London , to me they are seeing what they can get away with currently ....testing the waters if you will.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

...stage?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Language Timothy....!! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here