Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Those who are charged with trying to manage the finite resources available to the NHS during these unprecedented times have been repeatedly telling us that they need Covid-19 infection levels low (not eradicated) in order to perform all of the duties asked of them.

I do not know enough about healthcare management to challenge that view, so I have to take the word of those who dedicate their lives to saving others.

I can't imagine anyone who works in the health profession wants to deny anyone care that could make the difference between life and death if it can possibly be avoided.

Another thing that absolutely can't be ignored is the risk that Covid-19 presents to the immunosuppressed. We hear about how operations are cancelled and cancer patients have not treated, but there is rarely, if ever, mention of the risk involved in bringing these patients into hospital.

Whilst it can be tragic that some people can't get operations as scheduled, there may be a very real risk to them of contracting covid during that treatment. Yes, test can be done at the point of entry into hospital, but those tests are only accurate at the point of taking them and results may not be available until the following day. In short, it is essentially impossible to stop people bringing Covid-19 into hospitals.

Also, when viral spread in the community is high, oncologists need to decide, with their patients, what holds the greater risk for them - receive treatment and battering their immune system which leaves them highly vulnerable, or postponing treatment leaving them in better shape to fight Covid-19 should it reach them. These must be truly horrific decisions for those who want to save lives to have to make.

It's very easy to criticise from our keyboards, and suggest the NHS has handled things incorrectly, to suggest that Covid-19 has been given priority over all other health matters, but in many cases it's for a VERY good reason, and it's certainly not because medical professionals, advisors and hospital administrators want people with other issues to die, quite the contrary.
To comment from my wife's recent experience, she was due an op that had been twice postponed because of Covid.

This time thank goodness, it went ahead. She had to have a Covid test three days beforehand, after which we both had to isolate before her surgery.

We attended the drive through centre. I thought we had better arrive early, in case they were very busy. There was nobody else there bar us. Nobody.

When she went in for her op they said her test was negative so it's all good. Asked no questions about whether she/we had isolated since the test (we had). That was it. General tenor of concern seemed more around MRSA than Covid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To comment from my wife's recent experience, she was due an op that had been twice postponed because of Covid.

This time thank goodness, it went ahead. She had to have a Covid test three days beforehand, after which we both had to isolate before her surgery.

We attended the drive through centre. I thought we had better arrive early, in case they were very busy. There was nobody else there bar us. Nobody.

When she went in for her op they said her test was negative so it's all good. Asked no questions about whether she/we had isolated since the test (we had). That was it. General tenor of concern seemed more around MRSA than Covid.

Positive experience for me too. A couple of weeks ago I called the Royal Sussex requesting an internal check by colonoscopy. As a follow up on surgery I’d had in February 2019. It should’ve been this June, but I’d left them as imho souls with new diagnoses should take priority whilst CV19 was affecting the NHS.

To my surprise, there was no queue, my procedure was set for this week.

Last Saturday I had one of the drive-through CV19 tests at Haywards Heath. Against expecting a queue, mine was the only car there. Never heard back, so negative.

Very impressive all round, with amazing Royal Sussex clinicians this week.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've seen more people and traffic about in the last 2 days than I have in months!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Very busy this week, when travelling in Brighton or other parts of the county.

Half term bored families on day trips, as well as shops have got busy with early Xmas shopping!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
UK national lockdown: November 4 until December 1, according to The Times. *sigh*

[tweet]1322294630906503171[/tweet]

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Just catching up on the news and tonight alone I’ve read that according to one source the R in London is 1.1, but another says it is 2.9.

I’ve also seen a survey reveal the country currently has 100,000 cases a day, but another study says 52,000.

SAGE says the spread of the virus is worse even than the scientists’ worst case scenario, while King’s College London says the spread is “steady” and even slowing in Scotland.

Does anyone actually know what the **** is going on?

This has been the thing I've found massively infuriating. I've seen media reporting 3 or 4 different contradictory figures in one day. The argus have been particularly bad for it

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
UK national lockdown: November 4 until December 1, according to The Times. *sigh*

[tweet]1322294630906503171[/tweet]

I wont be going to work then. If it is not safe for me to visit a non essential shop, or have a family member or friend over, then it cannot be safe to sit in an office. I work in public sector and can work from home, as much as employer wants people in the office.

As for Christmas Shopping, it’ll be all done on Amazon. Sorry high street and independent stores, but you can thank this hysterical government.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Just catching up on the news and tonight alone I’ve read that according to one source the R in London is 1.1, but another says it is 2.9.

I’ve also seen a survey reveal the country currently has 100,000 cases a day, but another study says 52,000.

SAGE says the spread of the virus is worse even than the scientists’ worst case scenario, while King’s College London says the spread is “steady” and even slowing in Scotland.

Does anyone actually know what the **** is going on?

No - the data collection, interpretation and dissemination has been shambolic since day one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I support the measures and will follow them. But it's criminal negligence that it wasn't implemented 3-4 weeks ago, when cases were manageable. This government are an absolute disgrace. Surely the worst government in GB history

you mean at the same time people were arguing loudly they shouldnt shut pubs in areas with increasing rates, while most areas weren't very high and some going down, some zero cases. so easy to say simply shut down the country without thinking of the consequences of that.

Yoda

English & European
I wont be going to work then. If it is not safe for me to visit a non essential shop, or have a family member or friend over, then it cannot be safe to sit in an office. I work in public sector and can work from home, as much as employer wants people in the office.

As for Christmas Shopping, it’ll be all done on Amazon. Sorry high street and independent stores, but you can thank this hysterical government.

I thought Boris said ages ago you should be working from home again anyway.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I support the measures and will follow them. But it's criminal negligence that it wasn't implemented 3-4 weeks ago, when cases were manageable. This government are an absolute disgrace. Surely the worst government in GB history

It’s a difficult case to argue, as no British government in modern history has had to grapple with something as challenging as this. But again, as in March, we seem to have a strategy based on inaction tempered only by what others do.

“Oh, erm, gosh. France are having a bloody lockdown then. Blimey, maybe we should too, chaps?”

I’m not for or against lockdowns - I honestly don’t know what the right thing to do is. But what I’m against is this fúcking dithering about, ignoring scientific advice until such a time things look so bleak that there is apparently no other option but to shut the whole country down again.

As far as the developed world goes, this is Europe and America’s problem now. The East for the most part has had the problem under control for a while. And I’m not just talking about the likes of China and their ‘draconian’ regimes - to the best of my knowledge Australia and New Zealand are democratic nations and relatively nice places to live.

I just read this hugely depressing article on the BBC which suggests we’ve got another five years of this nonsense:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54661843

I’m not suggesting for a moment that I take the piece for it’s word; the media seem to have a raging appetite for depressing hyperbole at the minute, but if we are truly in this past the spring or summer I think we’re going to see some serious social unrest on a scale way above anything we’ve seen so far.

I’m posting this at 5:40 on a Saturday morning not because I have somewhere to be today, who does anymore? I just can’t sleep. The next few months are going to be tough, but unless this wretched government gets a bailout in the form of a near-perfect vaccine, I think it’s fair to say this is only the beginning.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

I feel the same, having worked right through last time while everyone was down the beach, this time fxxk it...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It’s a difficult case to argue, as no British government in modern history has had to grapple with something as challenging as this. But again, as in March, we seem to have a strategy based on inaction tempered only by what others do.

“Oh, erm, gosh. France are having a bloody lockdown then. Blimey, maybe we should too, chaps?”

I’m not for or against lockdowns - I honestly don’t know what the right thing to do is. But what I’m against is this fúcking dithering about, ignoring scientific advice until such a time things look so bleak that there is apparently no other option but to shut the whole country down again.

As far as the developed world goes, this is Europe and America’s problem now. The East for the most part has had the problem under control for a while. And I’m not just talking about the likes of China and their ‘draconian’ regimes - to the best of my knowledge Australia and New Zealand are democratic nations and relatively nice places to live.

I just read this hugely depressing article on the BBC which suggests we’ve got another five years of this nonsense:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54661843

I’m not suggesting for a moment that I take the piece for it’s word; the media seem to have a raging appetite for depressing hyperbole at the minute, but if we are truly in this past the spring or summer I think we’re going to see some serious social unrest on a scale way above anything we’ve seen so far.

I’m posting this at 5:40 on a Saturday morning not because I have somewhere to be today, who does anymore? I just can’t sleep. The next few months are going to be tough, but unless this wretched government gets a bailout in the form of a near-perfect vaccine, I think it’s fair to say this is only the beginning.

Blimey, that article was really depressing. Hopefully the ultra gloomy Prof. Woolhouse is wrong. Society cannot operate like that for 5 years from either an economic or social angle.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What annoys me is how the public get the heads up on this through crafted leaks to the Tory supporting media outlets.

It seems that even in a crisis that should be above politics it all plays out like an episode of 'House of cards'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here