Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have an long running film category entitled:-

Racism Is Bad.

It's a series that doesn't miss a beat even the likes of The Green Book, Hidden Figures, are unable to over shadow what should be deemed 'lesser' films like Just Mercy, Jackie Robinson/Jessie Owens biopics with more than a hint of 'made for TV'.

Anyhoo we've added another to the list:-

MV5BMjQ5MjA2NDkyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTIwNjUzNzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This was excellent.
There's a fair few aspects you could be critical of but it's all so well done I gave it a pass on everything.

Well worth checking out.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Two great sports films on that topic, Stat

42, The Jackie Robinson Story (racism in MLB, very well done and faithful to actual events, great performance by Harrison Ford)

The Express, The Ernie Davis Story (racism in the NFL, again very well done and true to actual history)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I recently signed up to the horror streaming service shudder. You can sign up to it via prime, or go straight to their website. If you do it through prime you get one week free trial, when I signed up last week via the website using the promo SHUTIN, I got a month free. If you sign up that way you have to watch via their app/website rather than via prime.

I have watched two films since signing up:

Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror
A documentary that, as the title suggests, covers the history of black and african american in horror movies, both when the focus and supporting (and when they are notably missing). As a film fan, and one who enjoys a good horror, I found it quite interesting, would have perhaps liked it to be longer allowing them to go deeper into various things they touched on briefly. I've noticed there is a horror noir series on shudder, too, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Mayhem
A horror about a man in lockdown because of a virus that is spreading (though, the virus is spreading inside a law company building and they are lockdown for the 8 hours it will take the cure to work). A man (Steven Yeun from Walking Dead) who had just got fired gets infected with a virus that removes inhibition, leading to people acting out on raw emotion, which mostly takes the form of violence. The man teams up with a woman (Samara Weaving from Ready or Not) who had been screwed over by the company to fight their way to the company boss (Steven Brand from Coronation Street). It was the sort of over the top violence that is slapstick enough to not be mean, but coarse enough to not be too silly. Not overly complex a storyline or character arcs, but a simple distraction for 85minutes.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
1917 was a good film, but the Two Popes was a better film for me.Caught a couple of great movies in recent times, Loved Quake, and The Real Inglorious ********. The latter made me feel like I was a soppy girl by comparison.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For something a little different, the film Vivarium is on various streaming services. Whilst as a whole it feels like a good idea that has been stretched a little too far, it's a quirky sort of Twilight Zonish story of a pair of househunters, Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots, who get taken to a show house on an estate of identical new builds, and find that they cannot find their way out. To say too much would probably reveal key plot points. Officially it's described as a sci-fi/thriller. 6.3 out of 10.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
We have an long running film category entitled:-

Racism Is Bad.

It's a series that doesn't miss a beat even the likes of The Green Book, Hidden Figures, are unable to over shadow what should be deemed 'lesser' films like Just Mercy, Jackie Robinson/Jessie Owens biopics with more than a hint of 'made for TV'.

Anyhoo we've added another to the list:-

View attachment 121847

This was excellent.
There's a fair few aspects you could be critical of but it's all so well done I gave it a pass on everything.

Well worth checking out.

Watched it. Worth the watch. 6.5/10

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Watched it. Worth the watch. 6.5/10

I thought one character in particular seemed very, very, stereotypical.

That is until they appeared at the end. :lol:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another from shudder

Sadako v Kayako
Apparently, this started as an april fool's joke, but reaction was so positive, they decided to make it. Think Freddie v Jason featuring the iconic ghosts of J-Horror Sadako from Ringu (The Ring) and Kayako from Ju On (The Grudge). The write up made it sound like a flat out comedy, I'm not sure if that translates well, or if it's just been too long since I've seen any of them, but I didn't find it particularly funny. Silly, definitely. But not funny.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just thoroughly enjoyed Calm with Horses.

Dark, touching with a continuous underlying menace.

Not one to produce a smile, but keeps you watching and is an excellent movie imho.

Listened to Kermode, as mentioned in his own thread, soon after viewing.

Give it a go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://youtu.be/2gm5FF-S64I

I first saw this trailer in 2017. It has taken a while, but was finally released in the uk today, and so I've finally got around to watch it. It appear that all the best hooks and refrains were used in the trailer. There's a lot of lowkey, dramatic, talky singing. Seems like it's based on the sort of stage show artists rave about and complain that it's not more suceesful.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Half of It.

Lovely little coming-of-age Cyrano tale. Utterly charming performances.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just thoroughly enjoyed Calm with Horses.

Dark, touching with a continuous underlying menace.

Not one to produce a smile, but keeps you watching and is an excellent movie imho.

Listened to Kermode, as mentioned in his own thread, soon after viewing.

Give it a go.

I really liked this too. Cosmo Jarvis! What a revelation. I have only ever known him as a musician. I haven't seen anyone portray frightening and vulnerable as well as that for a long time. Very good.

Unfortunately, I also watched Capone. What a load of drivel. I like some of Tom Hardy's work but this was him in full I'M TOM HARDY mode. Overacted and boring as feck. I turned it off with only 20 mins left, that's how bad it was. I couldn't even bear to watch the last twenty mins. Truly, truly awful film. Don't bother.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here