Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Murray to Forest?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I never understand the notion why moving to another country (let alone another county) is made into such a big deal?

It's even more bizarre when you're as well paid as professional footballers are. It's really not such a big deal and plenty of people do it.

I beg to differ - if you do it regularly, well maybe you get used to being a drifter, but I relocated from Sussex to Shropshire, a mere 300 miles, back in 2002.

The kids were 6 & 9 at the time and struggled to fit in at school - round here our accents are considered foreign ....
I have 2 siblings, the wife has 3 - in almost 20 years, 1 has never bothered to visit us, 4 have been no more than twice.
My parents are in their 90s now so its a big ask for them to come up now, but we go down to Sussex a couple of times a year.
I miss regular contact with my family, I miss Brighton - if I lived in Hong Kong, I would likely see even less.

So uprooting from "home" is a big thing, regardless of whether its 300 or 3000 miles - don't belittle it just because you'e done it and found it painless to your circumstances ....

For the first few years I struggled with "where is home?" - where I live or where I come from? I'll always be Sussex born & bred, but my home now is Shropshire.

Oh, I moved for work reasons too ...

But not on a pro-footballer's wedge

kjgood

Whatever Glenn decides to do is cool with me, hes earnt the right to finish his career the way he wishes to. The style we are playing now perhaps doesnt suit his strengths, but as someone to have on the field if you need him there isnt many better out there. We do also have several coming back from injury soon and a certain player in Germany that maybe could be recalled if we had a striker crisis although its fair to say I dont know the terms of the loan.

Hopefully we will sign Messi and Mbappe in this window and we are worrying about nothing.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There has to be something in this.

Murray would still be one of the best (if not the best) finishers in the Championship, a chance to become a legend at a club with two European Cups by shooting them to the Premier League or a struggle to make a Premier League squad week in and week out?

He wouldn’t be the best.

Mitrovic amongst others are better players

Mitrovic a better finisher than Murray? Nope

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I rather hoped that he might be kept on as a striker coach. I'm sure I read he'd taken Connolly under his arm and was helping him with his development. Whilst I realise the club can't keep all the old players on surely there would be some merit in this. We're hardly prolific in breeding natural strikers are we?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I rather hoped that he might be kept on as a striker coach. I'm sure I read he'd taken Connolly under his arm and was helping him with his development. Whilst I realise the club can't keep all the old players on surely there would be some merit in this. We're hardly prolific in breeding natural strikers are we?

He's doing really well mentoring Connolly in my FM20 game...

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Whatever Glenn decides to do is cool with me, hes earnt the right to finish his career the way he wishes to. The style we are playing now perhaps doesnt suit his strengths, but as someone to have on the field if you need him there isnt many better out there. We do also have several coming back from injury soon and a certain player in Germany that maybe could be recalled if we had a striker crisis although its fair to say I dont know the terms of the loan.

Hopefully we will sign Messi and Mbappe in this window and we are worrying about nothing.

Of the two I'd prefer Mbappe I think. More pace and would fit our team better. 😀
Completely agree with your words. Let Murray decide but insist on a recall clause just in case Maupay gets injured.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
You don't think moving countries is a big deal? [emoji38]ol:

When did you last do it?

No, I don't. I moved to Asia about 6 years ago.

I beg to differ - if you do it regularly, well maybe you get used to being a drifter, but I relocated from Sussex to Shropshire, a mere 300 miles, back in 2002.

The kids were 6 & 9 at the time and struggled to fit in at school - round here our accents are considered foreign ....
I have 2 siblings, the wife has 3 - in almost 20 years, 1 has never bothered to visit us, 4 have been no more than twice.
My parents are in their 90s now so its a big ask for them to come up now, but we go down to Sussex a couple of times a year.
I miss regular contact with my family, I miss Brighton - if I lived in Hong Kong, I would likely see even less.

So uprooting from "home" is a big thing, regardless of whether its 300 or 3000 miles - don't belittle it just because you'e done it and found it painless to your circumstances ....

For the first few years I struggled with "where is home?" - where I live or where I come from? I'll always be Sussex born & bred, but my home now is Shropshire.

Oh, I moved for work reasons too ...

But not on a pro-footballer's wedge

Fair enough, I was on my phone and was being in a bit lazy in not going into more detail. My story is quite similar to yours (the absent family, friends, new environment etc.) so I resonate with what you're saying.

Murray only has a couple of playing years left (at most) and if he has a desire to prolong his career at a decent level, then he might need to consider a move away. In a couple of years he'll be 38 years old and can spend as much time with his kids as he wants.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I've got loads of staff that do/have done it - it's pretty much routine. Like them, for a footballer things will be made very simple too - accommodation, removals, tax returns, schools etc etc all taken care of (as it is in this country anyway by 'player liaison officers'......for any that want to do it it's not that dramatic.

I did it and it wasn't routine at all.

I had all the above done for me when I moved to New York (still have accountants doing my tax returns 3 years after coming back) but it didn't take away the magnitude of moving 3,500 miles, living in a different country with a different culture and being so far away from a lot of my family. My partner is an NHS sister who has nurses of a number of nationalities working on her ward, many struggle with the cultural and religious differences of living in a different country.

Just because logistics are taken care of, it doesn't mean its easy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did it and it wasn't routine at all.

I had all the above done for me when I moved to New York (still have accountants doing my tax returns 3 years after coming back) but it didn't take away the magnitude of moving 3,500 miles, living in a different country with a different culture and being so far away from a lot of my family. My partner is an NHS sister who has nurses of a number of nationalities working on her ward, many struggle with the cultural and religious differences of living in a different country.

Just because logistics are taken care of, it doesn't mean its easy.

Think it depends on the individual - having the logistics sorted removes a lot of the headaches though. I've got loads of staff that are exceptionally keen to move around (and equally as many that get pissed off if I ask them to go to our Park Street office - 4 miles away - for the day)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still can't see how Murray is going to play more regularly at his age - in the Championship.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I could see a 4 month loan at Forest and a weekly commute being quite attractive an option for Murray.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hasnt it been said on here that GM is on £45k a week. If so why should he want to go to Forest for less even on loan why not see the season out on our bench and pocket another 750k doing so.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hasnt it been said on here that GM is on £45k a week. If so why should he want to go to Forest for less even on loan why not see the season out on our bench and pocket another 750k doing so.

What? Why would he get less?

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018

He won't get less. Forest will either pay all of his wages or pay a % and we'll make up the rest.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I'll wait to see what all things Murray, Taybha says about this one :whistle: , can't see it myself, also thought he was being lined up for a Sky sports pundit for next season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've got loads of staff that do/have done it - it's pretty much routine. Like them, for a footballer things will be made very simple too - accommodation, removals, tax returns, schools etc etc all taken care of (as it is in this country anyway by 'player liaison officers'......for any that want to do it it's not that dramatic.

I'd love to do it - luckily I work for a global company so the option is potentially there for me in future. Whilst I don't doubt the logistical side of it would be taken care of, and the importance of it, it doesn't really speak to every minute of every day in a totally new place. Having to meet new people, explore a new area, get into a new routine... all of those things would weigh on most people and I would always say that moving country, especially, would definitely rise to justifying being called dramatic.

Hopefully, in 2021, I'll get to do it myself and I'll report back!

Moving is a big deal - but it's a lot easier if you've got pots of money, enough for instance to rent or buy a second home without having to completely uproot from your 'main' home.
Kids at school is a big consideration though.

That's the usual, "he has piles of money, he's fine" argument. I have no doubt that a footballer would have a very comfortable home and life but that doesn't buy happiness or friendships/relationships, etc. I can imagine moving football teams to be a very lonely experience, depending on your character. I don't really think it's coincidence that a lot of players imported are better in the second season than the first.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
His first marriage broke up because his northern wife didn't like living here. He then married a Brighton woman.

Many people use that as an excuse. I think the marriage broke up because of the Brighton woman whether the first wife knew about the Brighton woman or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here